Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3541395)   #26
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no particular fan of either of the merc drivers, but I thought they both handled things well. I even got a chuckle from Mr Vettel's last comment to Mr Brundle on the podium.

Maybe, another way to ask the question would be along the lines of "Was coming 3rd in an F1 race so bad?" But you could argue that point in any sport - players feeling gutted if they've just lost a grand final, FA cup, EPL premiership etc. Sport does that to you, emotions and all that. Many drivers consider Monaco like a grand final of sorts. If you've been dominant, in say your first FA cup final, only to go into extra time because the manager made a silly substitution. You then play through extra time, then lose the final through a penalty shoot out. You feel gutted. The opportunity to win an FA cup final doesn't come easily, you looked like taking it out. Of course you are going to be upset. This would be how Mr Hamilton felt.

They will all move on. Mr Hamilton might be untouchable in Montreal next!
Old 26 May 2015, 14:50 (Ref:3541411)   #27
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
This just stinks of 'urgh, I hate that driver, anyway'.

He was annoyed because his team cos him the race. Find me any driver that would be happy about that. If they were, they probably shouldn't be in F1, should they?

Utter tripe.

Selby
Old 26 May 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3541417)   #28
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
Do you think that Lewis Hamilton's reaction was a little staged or exagerated after he lost the Monaco Grand Prix?
I know he was disappointed but he was clearly playing up for cameras. They all do that though.
Old 26 May 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3541445)   #29
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I know he was disappointed but he was clearly playing up for cameras. They all do that though.
Er, what? How can you possible know that.

As someone who has raced in various sports in my time (dingy sailing, yacht racing, karts, cars) stuffing up a certain victory, for whatever reason, really REALLY pi***es you off. I could be in a grump for hours. You can try to put a brave face on it, but inside? Screaming.

(My own stupidity cost me a Mirror dinghy midland area youth champion title - came equal first in the end instead of first overall. I was 15 or 16 IIRC, and I STILL remember the mistake that caused it, 35 years later)

My youngest son, 9, who karts, can get in a right strop if he makes a mistake that costs him a podium.

How people expect anyone at the top level of F1 to shrug off something like this as if its just another day at the office is beyond me.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 26 May 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3541451)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Er, what? How can you possible know that.

As someone who has raced in various sports in my time (dingy sailing, yacht racing, karts, cars) stuffing up a certain victory, for whatever reason, really REALLY pi***es you off. I could be in a grump for hours. You can try to put a brave face on it, but inside? Screaming.

(My own stupidity cost me a Mirror dinghy midland area youth champion title - came equal first in the end instead of first overall. I was 15 or 16 IIRC, and I STILL remember the mistake that caused it, 35 years later)

My youngest son, 9, who karts, can get in a right strop if he makes a mistake that costs him a podium.

How people expect anyone at the top level of F1 to shrug off something like this as if its just another day at the office is beyond me.
I was trying to be nice by saying he was playing it up for the camera. If you are saying that's his actual personality showing through, I'll go with that and agree with you. It certainly isn't flattering.
Old 26 May 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3541473)   #31
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I was trying to be nice by saying he was playing it up for the camera. If you are saying that's his actual personality showing through, I'll go with that and agree with you. It certainly isn't flattering.
We all have our bad moments, and often it's because of something bad! Tell me you'd react differently and you'd almost certainly be lying, and it's good to see he actually cares that much. It's refreshing to see the emotions of the drivers, and all sportsmen. It just makes them seem more human, and makes the sport more accessible imo.
Old 26 May 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3541477)   #32
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly Hamilton's attitude at the finish showed how he felt about the situation, can you think of any examples of similar behaviour by other drivers in such circumstances?
Old 26 May 2015, 18:35 (Ref:3541481)   #33
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Certainly Hamilton's attitude at the finish showed how he felt about the situation, can you think of any examples of similar behaviour by other drivers in such circumstances?
Name a race where it's happened?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3541512)   #34
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't intend to post to this thread twice. But...

I am not particularly a Hamilton fan. I think how he handles himself at times is part of that. I found the park the car for a bit, slow crawl back and eventual bump into the 3rd place placard a bit silly. I both rolled my eyes and had a chuckle at all of that. But at the same time I expected he was mad as hell and I don't blame him one bit.

I can't say exactly how I would have handled it. I hope I wouldn't have done exactly as above, but rather when asked how I felt I would have said that I was ****ed off and that it did really suck. That I had the race in hand and it all went sideways. But I would say that (and to his credit he did say this) that they win and loose as a team (no pointing of fingers). That I would be back hard at it next week.

Overall, I think it is good that we see how they feel and that it is not all sanitized robots. But it doesn't mean we are going to like how they do show their emotions. I guess it's call "personality"

Richard
Old 26 May 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3541535)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I didn't intend to post to this thread twice. But...

I am not particularly a Hamilton fan. I think how he handles himself at times is part of that. I found the park the car for a bit, slow crawl back and eventual bump into the 3rd place placard a bit silly. I both rolled my eyes and had a chuckle at all of that. But at the same time I expected he was mad as hell and I don't blame him one bit.

I can't say exactly how I would have handled it. I hope I wouldn't have done exactly as above, but rather when asked how I felt I would have said that I was ****ed off and that it did really suck. That I had the race in hand and it all went sideways. But I would say that (and to his credit he did say this) that they win and loose as a team (no pointing of fingers). That I would be back hard at it next week.

Overall, I think it is good that we see how they feel and that it is not all sanitized robots. But it doesn't mean we are going to like how they do show their emotions. I guess it's call "personality"

Richard
I wouldn't have parked up, because that's been done before and it was a bit naff, but yeah, I'd have happily mown down a few placards in the circumstances.....
Old 26 May 2015, 23:09 (Ref:3541594)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Sportsmen handle these reverses numerous ways. Some are disconsolate for days, others handle it philosophically in full knowledge that next week there's gonna be REVENGE! Others are furious. Full spectrum of possibilities there. There's no hard or fast rule in how defeats are handled. Think how different Hunt, Prost, Senna, Schumacher handled their occasional defeats or mess ups. All very different.

Little bit of the boxer bravado occasionally with Hamilton. Just a little bit. And that's fine.
Old 28 May 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3541944)   #37
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to compare the atmosphere inside Mercedes given Hambo's prolonged trip back to the podium with the co-operation and agreement at Red Bull.
Danil and Danny seem quite willing to put the team result first while respecting each other.
Must be a team management revelation for Christian following the Vettel v Webber days.
Old 28 May 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3541967)   #38
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a LH fan either but respected his podium behaviour. He's driven his heart out all weekend, dominated and then tossed it away on a silly blunder that shouldn't have happened.

I am annoyed at Mr Brundle's podium questions to Lewis deliberately trying to get him to fire up (granted the question is being fed to him and even he seemed reluctant to ask it.) Thankfully SV rescued the podium interview right at the very end.
Old 28 May 2015, 06:59 (Ref:3541991)   #39
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Interesting to compare the atmosphere inside Mercedes given Hambo's prolonged trip back to the podium with the co-operation and agreement at Red Bull.
Danil and Danny seem quite willing to put the team result first while respecting each other.
Must be a team management revelation for Christian following the Vettel v Webber days.
It is a lot easier for team-mates to concede for each other when neither driver is realistically fighting for a title.
Old 28 May 2015, 08:09 (Ref:3542004)   #40
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It is a lot easier for team-mates to concede for each other when neither driver is realistically fighting for a title.
Yes, that is true. In 2013 Rosberg and Hamilton were still best of friends.

But since 2010, was Webber ever a title contender?
Old 28 May 2015, 11:05 (Ref:3542042)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Breaking News; Sales of rose tinted spectacles booming!
Old 28 May 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3542055)   #42
simon21191
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gateshead
simon21191 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Hamilton has had everything given to him on a plate throughout his career when something like this happens he doesn't know how to deal with it

Other drivers such as Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button have had constant battles with inferior cars throughout their careers and this seems to have made them stronger drivers
Old 28 May 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3542109)   #43
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon21191 View Post
I think that Hamilton has had everything given to him on a plate throughout his career when something like this happens he doesn't know how to deal with it

Other drivers such as Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button have had constant battles with inferior cars throughout their careers and this seems to have made them stronger drivers
I think you think wrong.

Max V, now he has had everything handed to him on a place coming from an F1 background, as has Rosberg. But Hamilton? No, I don't think so. He worked hard to get where he is. As have all F1 drivers to greater or lesser extents .
Old 28 May 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3542111)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think you think wrong.

Max V, now he has had everything handed to him on a place coming from an F1 background, as has Rosberg. But Hamilton? No, I don't think so. He worked hard to get where he is. As have all F1 drivers to greater or lesser extents .
Yeah! Like being picked up by McLaren at age 10 (or so) and being cossetted throughout his career.

What a tough way to make it in to Formula 1!

Now! Where are my rose tinted ..........?
Old 28 May 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3542141)   #45
simon21191
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gateshead
Quote:
I think you think wrong.

I meant during his F1 career there is no doubt he worked hard to get to F1 whereas Rosberg and verstappen had an easier route with their racing dads but since Hamilton arrived in f1 I think he's had it a lot easier then the likes of Rosberg
Old 28 May 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3542156)   #46
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon21191 View Post

The same Button who had a pretty decent Williams seat on his debut year, and had a reputation of being more interested in partying in his early Benetton days...?

Dunno if he's the best example.

Selby
Old 28 May 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3542223)   #47
simon21191
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gateshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
The same Button who had a pretty decent Williams seat on his debut year, and had a reputation of being more interested in partying in his early Benetton days...?

Dunno if he's the best example.

Selby
Wasn't really a race winning car though
I can see where you're coming from though about partying but look at him now stuck through the bad times at Honda took the pay cut from Brawn and went from there
Old 28 May 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3542242)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He grew up.
Old 28 May 2015, 22:40 (Ref:3542281)   #49
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Yeah! Like being picked up by McLaren at age 10 (or so) and being cossetted throughout his career.

What a tough way to make it in to Formula 1!

Now! Where are my rose tinted ..........?
Plus 1 here Bauble!

Hardest working nine year old on the planet.

I wish Mercedes would release the radio comms!

Last edited by wnut; 28 May 2015 at 22:46.
Old 29 May 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3542544)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Lewis was very mature in the interviews, no doubt remembering how lucky he is with the new contract. He races with his heart on his sleeve and we should be grateful for that