Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Dec 2002, 03:49 (Ref:457938)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah, it'd never fit in Transam, too heavy apart from everything else.

Best hope would be a start at Le Mans etc, or they would have to build a different car to different regs.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 15:12 (Ref:458228)   #27
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How different are the Nations Cup regs to the LM-GT regs? What would they need to change to make the Monaro eligible?
Old 27 Dec 2002, 17:07 (Ref:458269)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I watched the Oran Park (did I get that right?) race last night on Speed. No one driver really impressed, but everyone seemed VERY enthusiastic and unafraid to use the car next to them to determine braking points or apexes!

Seemed like an interesting track and the bridge-mounted camera was cool. A bit narrow though for cars that size but there was a deal of overtaking despite that. Very entertaining to watch, be great to see live and must be a blast to drive!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 22:41 (Ref:458478)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The flip flop part before you come onto the front straight is amazing... done it in a road car a long time ago and wonder how the race cars can do it totally blind, and at warp speed...

Have seen more than a few accidents there however..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Dec 2002, 23:20 (Ref:458495)   #30
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only driven a few times at anger around it and I have not done it for about five years but you generally just have to get your angles right and there is a massive power line tower in the distance you can use.

The teeth on the the ripple strip can tear the bum out of a Formula Ford if you put a wheel either side. The bit I liked least was just before the left hander that leads you to the flip flop, there is a drop off and the rear wheels dont have any grip coming to your braking marker so if you are out of balance or position there you are buggered.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 23:34 (Ref:458509)   #31
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, IMSA sanctions the American LeMans series.

Too big for Trans-Am? No way! They used to race Mecury Cougars and Oldsmobile Cutlasses in that series!

All the cars are sillohuetes, anyways.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 23:35 (Ref:458513)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And you get the 16 yo kids in FF who have no fear for their lives taking tose sorts of corners airborne, 2 wheeling, sideways... and still survive...

For myself I have a greater sense of my own mortality
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Dec 2002, 04:51 (Ref:458641)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by William Dale Jr
How different are the Nations Cup regs to the LM-GT regs? What would they need to change to make the Monaro eligible?
Effectively the same, LM-GT cars are eligible, like the Cirtek GT3RS's, that are racing next year, the Mosler, Ferrari 360GT, just with parity adjustments to keep them even. Non-FIA homolgated LM-GT cars, like the Monaro, Lamborghini, Viper and so on are just built/handicapped to be competitive.

To make the Monaroi eligible all they need to do is produce 50? cars, like Porsche with the GT3RS, Morgan, Mosler, Ferrari etc...

Seeing as the TransAm cars are silouettes, the size of the production model shouldn't matter, as the body parts for the race cars are purpose built to fit the chassis aren't they
Old 6 Jan 2003, 00:36 (Ref:464948)   #34
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by slicktoast
I love saying Dougal McDogal around the house. Excuse my spelling. Speed has a V8 race on tonight, I'm not sure which venue though.
I'll have to tell Dugal he is an international star he will get a laugh out of it for sure
Old 6 Jan 2003, 05:21 (Ref:465048)   #35
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

During the winter, we get to see the summer's touring car action, in the form of BTCC, ETCC, DTM, and V8s
How do you think DTM, BTCC and ETCC compares to the V8s?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 6 Jan 2003, 06:01 (Ref:465058)   #36
Lee Janotta
Veteran

DTM's got the same problem, no passing. The cars themselves are a bit more exciting, but not by much.

BTCC absolutely rocks, though the cars aren't too great.

ETCC has good action and races at some obscure but _really_ good tracks, like ones F1 used back in the '60s, but it's too damn political, especially with Alfa involved.

The V8 cars are so much like the first incarnation of our Trans Am series, when it was Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Cougars, Barracudas, Valiants, Darts, Challengers, Novas, and Falcons mildly built from street cars. Get the overtaking figured out, and lose a few of the poorer street circuits, and it should be spectacular.

Have you guys ever seen our Speed World Challenge series?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 6 Jan 2003 at 06:04.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 11:57 (Ref:465239)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen the occasional race on Fox Sports over here, we got a couple of 2001 races, and i'm sure we got some in 2002. We got the GT class in 2002 as well as the Touring Car section of the series. The racing wasn't too bad, nice variety in the field, and the gruids didn't look too bad.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 12:41 (Ref:465276)   #38
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, same as race69, seem a few of their races. There were a few decent steerers in there, it was good to see David Leslie mix it in a few meetings, but I think the quality of the drivers dropped off after the first handful..
Old 6 Jan 2003, 15:47 (Ref:465382)   #39
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhhh yes I saw that on Fox sports as well , It was an oval track with an infield section if my memory is correct , enjoyed it quite alot , the field was huge and the racing was close, but to me they seemed very stock cars but I could be wrong there , but the racing was good and thats all that really matters
Old 6 Jan 2003, 20:01 (Ref:465660)   #40
Lee Janotta
Veteran

No, you were right Marcus, World Challenge cars are very close to stock. Stock chassis, mostly-stock bodywork, stock block, heads and crank, transmission, etc.

And yeah, I'll admit the drivers are a mixed bag: Some great professionals in there, but some overgrown club racers with more money that talent too.

If it was on an oval with an infield road course, you certainly didn't see the series at it's best... The race this year at Virginia saw the top 2 drivers in GT swap the lead back and forth the entire race, between a Saleen-tuned Ford Mustang, and a Porsche GT3 Cup car. Almost every lap the Saleen'd pass down the back straight, then the Porsche would take him back under braking.

Just goes to show that sometimes the support races are far better than the feature.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 6 Jan 2003 at 20:03.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 02:42 (Ref:465913)   #41
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The flip-flop is also my favourite part of the track.The East Coast Classic Rally boys hold drive days at Oran Park the next one being on the 5th of Feb. hope to meet any 1010 people who happen to go out there
Old 16 Jan 2003, 06:47 (Ref:475932)   #42
BMWfan
Rookie

BMWfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, everyone. I'm new here. Just letting you know that I love watching the V8's on SPEED here in California. Even though at some tracks the racing gets quite boring, overall I have really enjoyed the racing. I occationally watch the DTM and ETCC, and the last few days they've shown the JGTC (in a half-hour recap show), but I enjoy the V8's more than any of them.

A question: Is Mark Skaife really that good?!?

For me, I've been impressed with Marcus Ambrose, and found myself rooting for him more and more as the season progressed. His holding off Skaife at Phillips Island (I think) was fantastic to watch. I'd really like him to take it to the Holdens this year and win the championship.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 07:13 (Ref:475945)   #43
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
If you are rooting for Marcos, you might have to hang around until the end of the year

Mark Skaife is very good, but his team really does have everything in order.

Oh, and welcome aboard