Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2003, 08:31 (Ref:727394)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
However he does seem to enjoy Formula One at the moment. Why stop when your having fun?

Having said that he does have other things in his life too, so I think he could stop.

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Sep 2003 at 08:32.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 08:53 (Ref:727417)   #27
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i would not mind if Schu retires from F1 after winning this years championship .. .. but i would like to see him racing that's for sure .. and every body should want that

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:18 (Ref:727439)   #28
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stop now TGF, you've had your time, please go away.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:37 (Ref:727449)   #29
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
go away were???? ....

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:48 (Ref:727464)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is entertaining! Arguably one of the greatest drivers ever ( at least statistically speaking) and you all can't wait for him to quit!!??

I can see your advice to Beckham: "Well you've played all those games, and even though you are still fit, aren't you getting tired of scoring? Winning? Please retire now!"

For a race driver it is all about the competition. It is all about fending off the "young bucks." It is all about enjoying your career, however long it lasts.

Michael has the rest of his life to be an ex-F1 driver/Champion. He knows that. He seems to be intent on enjoying every race and competing as long as he has an opportunity to win.

No knock against Patrese, but if he were willing (and able) to hang about that long, why wouldn't Michael?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:49 (Ref:727466)   #31
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So - we want the best driver to go away so that some other guys can win and we can pretend that they're the best? Not me - Kimi or Juan winning would be great, but only if they beat Schumi to do it.

It doesn't follow that he might retire because he's got nothing left to prove - that assumes that he was trying to prove something in the first place. It seems more likely to me that he is driven by enjoying his work and pure professional drive, in which case he won't be hanging up his helmet until he stops enjoying it.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 17:21 (Ref:728907)   #32
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he's undoubtedly one of the greatest drivers ever, and it would be wonderful to see him stay in F1 for a few years to come.

I think it may be the case that when he's gone, the people who say he should retire now will be saying they wished he was back :-)
Old 10 Oct 2003, 13:39 (Ref:746316)   #33
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
*groans*

Hurry up and retire. If there is one record I sure as hell don't want him to break, it's Patrese's record of starting in 256 Grand Prix. Please let it stop!
Absolutely Leave one standing at least please Michael
Old 10 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:746320)   #34
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing is sure: when MS retires he will be mainly missed by those who presently bash him.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 15:26 (Ref:746414)   #35
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm looking forward to the fernando alonso backlash in 2013
Old 10 Oct 2003, 15:37 (Ref:746421)   #36
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody wanted Prost, Senna, or Mansell to retire because they were racing amongst each other.
Schumacher's age contemporaries, eg Hakkinen or Hill, are retired already, and other drivers his age like Villeneuve, Frentzen or Panis have been stuck in inferior cars...

There's DC as well, but he can't mount a championship challenge...

What Schumacher is facing didn't happen when he arrived. It was going to happen in 1994, but Ayrton died.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 00:24 (Ref:746850)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oh please! I heard whining way back when: "Williams always wins." "Senna and Prost, Senna and Prost, I am sick of it."

How quickly everyone forgets.

I hope that when Michael finally is beaten, that it is done fair and square in a straight-on battle, not because he retired. It doesn't say much for the "competition" that they have to hope for his retirement before they can routinely challenge for the WDC.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 00:48 (Ref:746873)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think it is the competition that hope for his retirement, it is the 'fans' that do.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Oct 2003 at 00:49.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 11:39 (Ref:747130)   #39
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Definitely agree with you there Adam. The "Fans" have (imho) a somewhat skewed opinion of what the competitive landscape should look like.

Back in the old days when I raced a bit, I looked forward to the meets when I knew the top guys would be there. I wanted to see how I measured up - if I had improved my game to compete with them.

As much as Michael has dominated the competitive landscape, it has been (to me) fascinating to watch a driver and team perform at such a high level on a consistent basis.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 12:03 (Ref:747156)   #40
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely, the Montoya's, Kimi's and Alonso's on the grid want the chance to beat the guy on the track before he retires. What I don't understand from Schu's point of view though, is that all he can do now is lose, why not say goodbye whilst at his peak rather than run the risk of being beaten?
Old 11 Oct 2003, 12:09 (Ref:747163)   #41
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't mind if he retires as long as he comes to Australia and drives V8 Supercars. Now THAT would be interesting
Old 11 Oct 2003, 12:25 (Ref:747179)   #42
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Absolutely, the Montoya's, Kimi's and Alonso's on the grid want the chance to beat the guy on the track before he retires. What I don't understand from Schu's point of view though, is that all he can do now is lose, why not say goodbye whilst at his peak rather than run the risk of being beaten?
so what if he's beaten .. i would not change my opinion about him if he gets beaten in the future .. lets say 20 years from now

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Oct 2003, 12:35 (Ref:747183)   #43
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should stop now because this his last championship,cause the other cars is going to be faster than him next season.
Go and retire litle cry baby...
(by the way i use to like him before he tried to take out JV ...)
Old 11 Oct 2003, 19:58 (Ref:747505)   #44
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
*groans*

Hurry up and retire. If there is one record I sure as hell don't want him to break, it's Patrese's record of starting in 256 Grand Prix. Please let it stop!

Why? Because Patrese loved racing and Michael doesn't? Get real.