Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Mar 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2853068)   #26
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
http://www.motorstv.com/car/others/m...5-championship

"An incredible 117 cars have registered to compete in the Ma5da MX5 Championship, which begins its 2011 season at Silverstone this weekend, increasing its status the largest single-class racing series in UK motorsport."

Contrast this with Clio Cup where there were 11 cars testing at Rockingham yesterday (FRen is equally poor in numbers).

Bear in mind that they are racing the new MK3 MX5 (so not old cars) which you can buy for £12,500 and run on a budget of £7,500 (inc hospitality and TV coverage) it's no wonder there are so few cars out in Clio's with budgets of 10 x that.

Someone needs to get hold of the TOCA support series and bring the costs down, get the grids up and improve the support show. IMO.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2853290)   #27
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mazda series with the 117 registrations is the series for the Mark I car so the cars are a bit older. In terms of the TOCA support classes, a positive is that 23 Porsches were testing at Snetterton in the week.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2853320)   #28
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its been getting worse for a season or two. Something should have been done in 2007. The costs involved are what killed off the Renault Spider Championship. They brought out the Clios in or around the year 2000 which were supposed to be a lot cheaper, and I think they were, but im not certain if the costs have increased, I guess they must have.

They just need to really slash the costs of support races. I can't emphasise how important that is to do.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2853410)   #29
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They just need to really slash the costs of support races. I can't emphasise how important that is to do.
Alternatively, you can try to find a way to justify the costs.

I'm wondering if one of the problems is the spec-ness of the support series... I mean, spec-racing surely has its place, but competition between different makes is ultimately much more interesting and prestigious for spectators, drivers and also manufacturers... look at what kind of fields GT-racing series (in the UK and elsewhere) can come up with with a much worse or even non-existent TV-package.

A spec-series will (in most cases) always be considered a junior-series, i.e. not something someone aimes for or settles into, not something which has a value of its own and not something that is more than just a stepping stone into BTCC or F1. Consequently spec-series always have to rely on kids with rich parents, but after a few years of getting nowhere, people will soon get tired of pi**ing away hundereds of thousands of pounds/euros.

I think it's no surprise that the Porsche Carrera Cup is the best supported of the support series right now as it has the prestige to attract not just kids, but also gentleman drivers, who are usually in for the long run.

Not to mention that a multi-make series could also attract a modicum of manufacturer support...

If I was AG, I'd try to create a 2nd league to BTCC as part of the support package, probably running to super production rules and perhaps also an open GT-class, though that market place seems to be rather crowded in the UK right now, so I might have to cannibalize on other series to be successfull here.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2853490)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Alternatively, you can try to find a way to justify the costs.

I'm wondering if one of the problems is the spec-ness of the support series... I mean, spec-racing surely has its place, but competition between different makes is ultimately much more interesting and prestigious for spectators, drivers and also manufacturers... look at what kind of fields GT-racing series (in the UK and elsewhere) can come up with with a much worse or even non-existent TV-package.

A spec-series will (in most cases) always be considered a junior-series, i.e. not something someone aimes for or settles into, not something which has a value of its own and not something that is more than just a stepping stone into BTCC or F1. Consequently spec-series always have to rely on kids with rich parents, but after a few years of getting nowhere, people will soon get tired of pi**ing away hundereds of thousands of pounds/euros.

I think it's no surprise that the Porsche Carrera Cup is the best supported of the support series right now as it has the prestige to attract not just kids, but also gentleman drivers, who are usually in for the long run.

Not to mention that a multi-make series could also attract a modicum of manufacturer support...

If I was AG, I'd try to create a 2nd league to BTCC as part of the support package, probably running to super production rules and perhaps also an open GT-class, though that market place seems to be rather crowded in the UK right now, so I might have to cannibalize on other series to be successfull here.
Yes, I agree. The Clios etc are there simply as a stepping stone to something else, something "bigger". However, if say the Clios had live TV coverage going out at 6pm on Sunday on BBC1 or ITV1, then I would imagine that A) sponsors would be falling over themselves to get involved, B) the costs would seem far more justifiable. Its all about balancing the costs of competing and what sponsor exposure you can offer. If it only costs £15K a year to compete, but you rake in 50K in sponsor money, then happy days! However I think thats unrealistic. Clios are a stepping stone, which is why the costs need to be driven right down. I also agree that the Porsche's are in effect the end of the ladder for a lot of drivers which makes sense.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2853758)   #31
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm wondering if one of the problems is the spec-ness of the support series... I mean, spec-racing surely has its place, but competition between different makes is ultimately much more interesting and prestigious for spectators, drivers and also manufacturers... look at what kind of fields GT-racing series (in the UK and elsewhere) can come up with with a much worse or even non-existent TV-package
Certain one make championships are popular so their presence can't be ruled out entirely. I note your point regarding manufacturer interests, but all of the BTCC support races have support from their respective makers although clearly they do not seem to have much spectator interest at this point. Whilst GT races have generally achieved decent grids of late (although British GT have had some low points recently), their format may be difficult to fit into a BTCC race meeting given the demands of live TV.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons for the lack of entries is the shear amount of choice that prospective competitors currently have. As such, new series may not deliver larger grids. In terms of a 'second division' touring car championship, it already exists in the form of BARC's Production Touring Car Cup. 2011's opening races took place today at Silverstone, mustering a grid of nine cars.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2853811)   #32
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I still lament the passing of the National Saloon Cup. Such a shame what happened with that and how the BTCC treated it after 2001/2002.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2854494)   #33
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Clio's used to be a fantastic series to watch, their grid seemed dropped right down after the Abarth Cup appeared, half the grid seemed to jump across to that.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2854641)   #34
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new Clios have never been that good in my opinion. The 2000-2006 generation produced some of the best racing I've ever seen.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2854683)   #35
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The old Fiesta's and Clio's were amazing. Massive grids, loads of action, brilliant. Never really cared much for the single seater supports. Formula Ford is ok, but i'd get rid of FRenault. I would much rather have more tin-top supports, something like a "BMW 320 Saloon Cup" etc (if one existed).
Old 28 Mar 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2854853)   #36
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula Ford is the exception to the rule when it comes to junior single seaters in the UK - it's actually very entertaining. Look at the Donington races which supported the BTCC last year. I think if you could swap the VW Cup and F Ford from the F3-GT package with the Renault supports, then that'd be ideal.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2854996)   #37
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a post on the BTCC forums, it seems like we're currently expecting 16 cars in the Clios - not as many as I'd like, obviously, but not as bad as I'd feared.

Just hope people don't expect Nic Hamilton to perform miracles in his first ever season - he was interviewed on Radio 2 last week and seems a nice guy, and very level headed about what he's aiming to achieve.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2855311)   #38
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a little rumour..... http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...72S0T920110329
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2855354)   #39
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That should sell a few thousand more tickets this weekend
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2855356)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Formula Ford is the exception to the rule when it comes to junior single seaters in the UK - it's actually very entertaining. Look at the Donington races which supported the BTCC last year. I think if you could swap the VW Cup and F Ford from the F3-GT package with the Renault supports, then that'd be ideal.
There was a rumour a while ago about the F3 teams wanting to go on to the BTCC package ...
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2855505)   #41
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IIRC they signed a new deal with Stephane Ratel (British GT).
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2855506)   #42
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenunn-78 View Post
Not doubting the legitimacy of the story, but how accurate are the quotes?

From Reuters: "It's cool. I will get to watch lots of movies on the plane."

From The Express: "It’s cool. I can sleep on the flight. I can still stay in this time zone."
Old 29 Mar 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2855658)   #43
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not doubting the legitimacy of the story, but how accurate are the quotes?

From Reuters: "It's cool. I will get to watch lots of movies on the plane."

From The Express: "It’s cool. I can sleep on the flight. I can still stay in this time zone."
Maybe after he spoke to Reuters he found out that it would be the same movies as when he flew to LA and Australia and decided to sleep instead of watching them again!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2855835)   #44
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Maybe after he spoke to Reuters he found out that it would be the same movies as when he flew to LA and Australia and decided to sleep instead of watching them again!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2855933)   #45
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Putting all the caustic humour & cynicism aside, good luck to Nicolas - he always looked passionate about races when F1 cameras picked him up and the positive message this gives to others with disabilities is heartwarming to even the biggest misanthrope
Old 30 Mar 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2856078)   #46
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The old Fiesta's and Clio's were amazing. Massive grids, loads of action, brilliant. Never really cared much for the single seater supports. Formula Ford is ok, but i'd get rid of FRenault. I would much rather have more tin-top supports, something like a "BMW 320 Saloon Cup" etc (if one existed).
You mean the production BMW cup for e30 318-320s fantastic series but not prestigious enough for Gow.