Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1930357)   #26
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Woo hold on here guys I meant Hamilton being the best of the current crop,Best ever no way he's got a mountain to climb to get up there with Senna,Schuey,Clark,Fangio etc.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1930388)   #27
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I won't go as far as to say that Hamilton is better than Alonso. It's really not giving Alonso credit, and putting unrealistic exxpectations on LH.

LH has got very close to Alonso in his first 5 races..and that in itself is worth to make him a serious contender. But greatest of the current crop is something that he has to prove, and while he has proved to be fast in a fast machinery, he hasn't shown us how he feature in a wet race, when racing with a broken car, when racing with an inferior machine, etc... its really too early to just say he's the best, although he has the potential.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1930409)   #28
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

This is really getting out of hand.

No, Lewis Hamilton is not the best already. Until he's actually won a race or two, won a World Championship or two, then we can start talking about greatness.

He is a five race rookie who has done well in a fantastic piece of machinery.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1930459)   #29
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The good thing is that there seems to a general consensus on the matter. Not only that, but, imho, the correct one.

He is clearly talented, with great potential, but it is far too early to make any (justified) claims beyond that.

A person can feel free to have beliefs/feelings/ideas as to what his future may hold, and may turn out to be proven correct, but that is a far cry from such thoughts as being presently justified.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:02 (Ref:1930478)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No, Alonso is.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1930504)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a question posed by F1 Racing, officially the worst motorsport related magazine in existence and probably ever. I really don't see how a fatuous question posted on the cover of what is, at best, a fashion rag simply to sell issues can be taken seriously.

Is Lewis Hamilton the best already? Frankly I doubt it, given he hasn't won a race yet. Alonso is the yardstick for this generation.

Can he be the best in time? Absolutely, if he makes the most of his godlike talent.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1930505)   #32
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
No, Alonso is.
Why is he? He has had the best car on the grid for the past 2 seasons! He has really only had Michael Schumacher to race against in a mediocre Ferrari. McLaren haven't had the car to challenge Ferrari or Renault for the last 2 seasons, they have certainly got it right this season again!

I don't like Alonso, I think he is very arrogant, he is becoming like Senna was between 85-92, but Alonso doesn't have the out and out skill that Senna did. Alonso is good but not that good, he is good at racing in the driver-aids rife Formula 1 but put him in something else, sportscars etc, I don't think he'd be as good as you think! As Montoya is proving now in NASCAR! Michael proved himself in Sportscars before he even tried an F1 car.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1930511)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Ferrari 248 mediocre?

We have been down this arrogance road before and I really don't think it applies. Also, Alonso did some F1 races before driver aids came in and absolutely excelled.

You don't become world champion by accident.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1930518)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Alonso would struggle without driver aids, maybe Lewis would, but you can only race what's put in front of you. Besides, Michael is completely in favour of them. Don't forget that Alonso was the youngest-ever F3000 race-winner, so he has proved himself in relatively pure cars (Junquiera, Bourdais, Webber, Pizzonia and Minassian all in good cars).
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1930523)   #35
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Also, Alonso did some F1 races before driver aids came in and absolutely excelled.

You don't become world champion by accident.
When? How well did he do?

I am not saying that his championships came by accident, he is the best of a crop of OK drivers!
Montoya has gone
Ralf -Toyota which won't perform to win a race,
Kimi, jumped ship to Ferrari and can't develop his car to get it winning regularly.
I think DC is a good car developer and maybe showed Kimi the way when he was at McLaren.
Rubens was carried by the Ferrari team, never been a fan
Fisi, Fisi is Fisi as Mario Andretti has just come out with

No one has mentioned that Alonso is the only champion among the current drivers.
Remember in the 80s and early 90s, we had Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell and other decent race winning drivers, all racing against each other!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1930530)   #36
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I cannot fathom how it is possible to think Alonso is anything but the current best of the current lot at this point.

In 2005 he had to fight against a Mclaren team with tremendous speed (he was aided by their poor reliability). In 2006 Ferrari had a tremendous package, but had unusual reliability issues (though not in the same league as Mclaren). In both years he and Renault got the jump atthe start of the year, which helped greatly as the main opponent developed through the season.

Alonso has been exquisite in recent years, and, imho, never below seriously impressive throughout his career. If he has had the best car, then he has won with it. If he has not had the best car, then he has either won with it when he shouldn't, or has minimised the damage.

I just do not see how a coherent argument can be made against him being the current top dog.

He did a grand job against Michael in 2006, which says something.

Last edited by Dutton; 6 Jun 2007 at 18:46.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1930532)   #37
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason Alonso is the only current champion is because we just got out of the Schumacher era, and I think that this season there will be a new champion crowned.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1930552)   #38
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will never call a rookie the best ever. Bring up the subject again in three years. Frankly I see Massa winning it all this year.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:08 (Ref:1930556)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Massa winning it all?

He might get the WDC, but I wouldn't say dominance is by any means clear.

I am getting a bit scared with the way Mclaren are going. Once they get it right they are pretty damn impressive.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1930557)   #40
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree. I did not expect Mclaren to be so strong, or Honda to be so slow.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1930584)   #41
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I guess he is better than all the greats too!! Fangio, Senna, MS...

Infact why dont they call him a 10 times WC already!!

I hope he has a dismal season from canada on, Im fed up with this hype and circus that is happening to F1.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1930587)   #42
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Every 10 years or so, one driver dominates.

Personally I feel that Lewis will follow in the footsteps of Ayrton and Michael.

We shall see !!

Paula Hamilton
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1930593)   #43
amier
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
No, but you'll make amier's head explode.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1930596)   #44
amier
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge
Every 10 years or so, one driver dominates.

Personally I feel that Lewis will follow in the footsteps of Ayrton and Michael.

We shall see !!

Paula Hamilton
Are you his sister?

No, its Senna, who handed over the honours to MS, who then handed it to Alonso. Lewis does not have a place as long as Alonso is around!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1930672)   #45
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
The reason Alonso is the only current champion is because we just got out of the Schumacher era,
Sorry but who was world champion for the last two years against TGF??

And as for this hype over LH, yes he's undoubtedly got talent, in abundance, but it is way too early yet to compare him against those who have already proven themselves. We shall see, all in good time
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1930676)   #46
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Sorry but who was world champion for the last two years against TGF??

And as for this hype over LH, yes he's undoubtedly got talent, in abundance, but it is way too early yet to compare him against those who have already proven themselves. We shall see, all in good time
I am comparing the two because they are team mates and Lewis clearly has more speed!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1930682)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Odd use of the word clearly there.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1930683)   #48
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I am comparing the two because they are team mates and Lewis clearly has more speed!
Yes... clearly.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1930686)   #49
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Odd use of the word clearly there.

also I thought it was STR what had Speed!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1930689)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Despite clearly having more speed, Lewis trails in the wins table. Something doesn't stack up here.