Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1450546)   #26
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L

Andrew, don't be coy, you're amongst friends here.. yes or no..?
Well, if truth be known David, not much (maybe if, in the case of someone having an off I may do a quick check to see what I may have, but that's about it). The old Canon 1D's and their abysmal battery usage cured me of that habit, subsequently I even have review turned off, even on all my MK2's...

Andrew
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1450562)   #27
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=FREE996]As an EX-stealth chimper I can now come forth and freely admit my affliction

Just missed the podium then......
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1450563)   #28
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew W
Well, if truth be known David, not much (maybe if, in the case of someone having an off I may do a quick check to see what I may have, but that's about it). The old Canon 1D's and their abysmal battery usage cured me of that habit, subsequently I even have review turned off, even on all my MK2's...

Andrew
And that's just showing off......

I want one.....
Old 2 Nov 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1450765)   #29
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn!

I have to admit to chimping to an small extent.

But to be honest I'd rather keep a regular check on my pics, notice something is wrong and fix it on the spot, rather than discover the whole lot is **** at the end of the shoot.

I also admit to very very ocassionally asking a fellow snapper if they got a certain pic, or showing one of mine. But only when there isn't anything on the track. I have nothing to hide, and enough wisdom to appreciate that I can learn from others.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1450775)   #30
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
Damn!

I have to admit to chimping to an small extent.

But to be honest I'd rather keep a regular check on my pics, notice something is wrong and fix it on the spot, rather than discover the whole lot is **** at the end of the shoot.

I also admit to very very ocassionally asking a fellow snapper if they got a certain pic, or showing one of mine. But only when there isn't anything on the track. I have nothing to hide, and enough wisdom to appreciate that I can learn from others.
But you really cant determine quality from the LCD anyway can you...thats a good enough reason to quit
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1450808)   #31
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
But you really cant determine quality from the LCD anyway can you...thats a good enough reason to quit
Ahh but if you're poor like me you have to delete the obviously OoF and poorly composed ones towards the end of the day to clear some space on your single 1Gb flash card...

<violins>
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1450835)   #32
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a cracking point paul... especially with the general lameness of the canon lcd screen. Anyone who knows me will well know what I think of that lcd screen.

I therefore go by a general rule... if it looks good on the lcd screen, the pic will be ****, if it looks crap on the lcd, the pic will rock.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1450843)   #33
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely checking the histogram is allowed

Guilty as charged
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1450850)   #34
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i've never understood why people ridicule chimping...i mean there has to be some sort of payback for not getting to shoot velvia anymore right?

whats stranger about chimping though...give a photographer an old slr, or even a cheapo throwaway compact, watch them shoot with it...then involuntarily look down and try and check the back of whats in their hand!

its a 21st century pavlovian dog response!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1450852)   #35
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys.. Guys.. Guys.. Remember the mantra..

[Homer]
Respect the chimp.. Embrace the chimp.. Luuuurrrrve the chimp..
[/Homer]

For there really isn't any shame in our activities..

Andrew, James, Paul.. Why not succumb to temptation... Why not join us and dive, headfirst, into the pool of chimpdom.. Wallow in the untold pleasures that you'd be denying yourself by moderation and temperance..

and now...

for your entertainment..

I present your leader...

The hood wearing head of the Chimpoholic Legion of International Tolerance....

Boingo...

Tea party anyone..?

This message was sponsored by the friends of the Chimp..

This week's membership offer, a pack of screen sized pec-pads for loving, scratch-free wiping..
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1450876)   #36
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
Ahh but if you're poor like me you have to delete the obviously OoF and poorly composed ones towards the end of the day to clear some space on your single 1Gb flash card...

<violins>
I would much rather delete the C**P as I go along........ Been caught out before at the end of a busy day having no room on the card.......
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1450900)   #37
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
i've never understood why people ridicule chimping...i mean there has to be some sort of payback for not getting to shoot velvia anymore right?

whats stranger about chimping though...give a photographer an old slr, or even a cheapo throwaway compact, watch them shoot with it...then involuntarily look down and try and check the back of whats in their hand!

its a 21st century pavlovian dog response!
Yes I have seen this happen...Very amusing.

But you're right, the screen is there for that purpose, I just got out of the habit in so far as the old 1D's (I still have them as backups) were frightfully heavy on batteries (thus now I have 6 batteries in addition to those in the cameras...)

And they're heavy too....

Andrew
Old 2 Nov 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1450940)   #38
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
I would much rather delete the C**P as I go along........ Been caught out before at the end of a busy day having no room on the card.......
Well yeah. Towards the end of the day means during the lunch break and from then on really.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1451248)   #39
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All hail Boingo - I too am a Chimper.

I normally try to restrict the habit to between races to get rid of those perfectly panned shots that somehow end up with half the car missing, but if there's been some decent action or I'm after a specific shot then I Chimp with the best of them, blissfully unaware of everything going on around me.

I've not been able to Chimp since April, so perhaps I've been cured...be interesting to see what happens next time out. And I've got some film work coming up too, so I'll soon find out if I succumb to Pavlov's Chimp.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1451727)   #40
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course it's not a hanging offence (yet)
Old 4 Nov 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1452237)   #41
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a worldwide phenomenon
Old 6 Nov 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1453548)   #42
Pigit
Racer

United Kingdom
Bromley Kent
Pigit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't posted about this subject because i have been so embarrassed about my habit,its getting worse ,i haven't had a chimp for 3 days and i am laying on my sofa shaking i think i have cold turkey (or was that Beef)please if you see me at any circuit around and im chimpping take time in watching the smooth control of my hands over the zoom button and the quick flick of the thumb (Delete) Boll**ks wrong photo..............
Old 6 Nov 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1453625)   #43
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I chimped today, it felt good after a month away and I am doing it again next weekend...
Old 6 Nov 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1453644)   #44
Boggy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton
Boggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I chimped yesterday, and it felt great. Must get out more................!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1454153)   #45
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My screen stopped working in the rain, so I couldn't! Didn't stop me trying though...
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1454172)   #46
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I was guilty of chimping at Brands too.

First time I've used the camera in the rain, I was a bit paranoid about it and when I got home I made sure I got it out of the bag and let it dry out properly. Pleased to say I had no trouble with the screen (I chimped all day )

Last edited by BertMk2; 7 Nov 2005 at 13:38. Reason: One day I'll learn to type...
Old 7 Nov 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1454448)   #47
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeee-Haw.. Welcome Chimpers..

Boingo salutes the openness proffered in this thread and welcomes those of you recently out of the closet to the brave new world called Free-Chimpdom.. It’s a world where open chimping is not looked down on by toffs (who bloomin well do it anyway on the sly).. a world where it's no longer a taboo be a chimp and, not forgetting, a world where tea-parties happen every day at 10am and 3pm (two sugars and a double sticky creme donut please)..

Hmmm…. Donut….

I digress..

BertMk2.. Jack up the insurance and go dancing in the rain (or should that be singing).. if it stops working, then it fell in a lake, quite accidentally govn'r.. Salute..!

Pigit, you put forward a convincing case for the unconverted.. Smooth hands.. Hmmm.. Nice.. Perhaps build in references to chocolate and even more gratuitous innuendo next time (I like a bit of gratuitous innuendo, me), but, hey, you'd get me hooked if I wasn’t already.. Sulute..!

Mike.. Quick.. Remedial action called for toute suite.. Cut out a small picture of Michele Schumacher (or somebody from somewhere) and stick it on the back of your camera.. Then act all nonchalant and pretend like crazy, make sure you do the hand movements etc.. Just remember to stick it the right way up or some quick thinking will be called for.. yah, well, uhh, of course Schumacher was upside down when he passed me, wasn't he when he passed you... yah, what, of course in a 2CV race.. huh.. what do you take me for.. and then stomp off all offended like.. Salute..!

Paul.. Not yet a hanging offence..? Try telling that to the good folk in Hartlepool in Napoleonic times.. Chimpers know to avoid that place when approaching by sea during a war with France (albeit that I am reliably informed that it’s safe at any other time)... not called Monkeyhangers for nowt ‘round that way you know.. Salute..!

Andrew W.. new cameras.. no excuse.. Salute..!

And what of the great 500mm (he told me to say great), who has kept a safe distance since offering comment on my driving style early on in this thread.. Well, even he chimps like a good-un.. Check out this photo of the great man taken recently in Valencia (admittedly after the two of us tried to demolish the European wine lake, so I may have pointed the camera in the wrong direction, or I may not have..)..

This message was sponsored by the friends of the Chimp..

This week's membership offer, a pack of screen wipes for Pigit and others following his “smooth hands” advice....
Old 7 Nov 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1454450)   #48
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
My screen stopped working in the rain, so I couldn't! Didn't stop me trying though...
Hurray, it works again!!
Old 9 Nov 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1455887)   #49
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Got me thinking actually, it was a good way to stop chimping, as I couldn't look at the pics on the screen, so could've concentrated on getting shots. In the old days you couldn't look at each picture as soon as you'd taken it anyway. I'd've tried that, but I didn't want any more problems...
Old 9 Nov 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1456348)   #50
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Mike ...the "old" days???