Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Mar 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3628948)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect that won't be the case. Those of us racing on Saturday will be packing up and leaving that evening. The event seems to be organised around one day for each category.

Good luck.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3630351)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So we are about last on Monday with old bags of bolts.

Suppose the Pre War stuff is the most historical with bits on cars that are 75 to 90 years old rather than last week!

Leave best until last!
Old 4 Apr 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3630365)   #28
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said. Monday's the day I'll be there hopefully.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 04:01 (Ref:3630419)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So we are about last on Monday with old bags of bolts.

Suppose the Pre War stuff is the most historical with bits on cars that are 75 to 90 years old rather than last week!

Leave best until last!
Even enhine blocks?
Old 5 Apr 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3630434)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Historic Touring Cars (HTCC)/Tony Dron Challenge (TDC) grid is over subscribed. That said there are a couple of guest cars but I suppose they got their entry in early. The TDC regs are the same as those for Goodwood so there's continuity.

My entries are in and accepted for Silverstone and Spa (6hrs event) too.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 07:45 (Ref:3630451)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Terry,What's an enhine engine block?
Old 5 Apr 2016, 08:14 (Ref:3630455)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's the bit that bolts to the queerbox, behind the hairdriator

We're racing Monday in the HRDC BTCC thing , with 50+ year old parts.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3630532)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking around on Saturday last the paddock area seems to be about the same as it was last year. The work mentioned previously looks to be no more than finishing off the edges of the Formula E /Book-a-track complex with some fencing.

Interestingly there is now a strip of tarmac alongside the pedestrian gravel slope to the spectator areas at Redgate. That connects with the gate to the fully surfaced area outside the circuit perimeter where the Sunday Market and various other driving activities are held. Maybe there are overflow plans of some sort.

The infield is now mostly grass .... except for the rather important section next to Robert's esses where the larger of the original spectator and vehicle access tunnels is located. That area is still a mass of earth with various bits of building plant dotted around.

So I very much doubt that the full infield will be opened up by the end of the month.

Apart from that various sprucing up activities have been undertaken during the relatively short winter break which I take as a good sign.

Anyone who may fancy buying a Caterham can pop into the new showroom when they find themselves at a loss for something to do - something to pass the time (assuming the sales staff don't do a runner from the massed ranks of the aged on the day!)
Old 6 Apr 2016, 04:49 (Ref:3630638)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Terry,What's an enhine engine block?
Not quite used to my new phone yet John,but I think you now the answer.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 11:41 (Ref:3630705)   #35
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I don't (k)now the answer.
We intend to use Alta which has rebuilt engine originating in 1939!
Car has not raced in Europe in past60 years.
If you are referring to Talbots.Only Talbot of mine being used in competition (Flying Scotsman)is BGH21 which has engine block ,head,and all other bits from 1934.

This is not to say that new blocks are needed for Talbots and all other Pre War cars as original blocks are between 75 and 90 years old.

Another preparer has been casting ally Talbot blocks for a few years which he maintains are historically correct.I don't have any and none in any of the original works cars.Jury out on that one.

If you want to keep any car going the bits that are worn must be replaced.

The other talking point is should we be competing with original engines,heads,gearboxes as they are getting worn and no original examples will be available for future generations .

We do but am beginning to think it's wrong.
Have knackered up at least five original engines with hard work.With only 500 original engines built it was crazy!

What to do Tel?
Old 6 Apr 2016, 18:24 (Ref:3630768)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
At the working class end of the spectrum, I'm struggling to find crack and damage free Ford heads and blocks, they're 'only' 50 ish years old, and they made well over 1m. . . .but 95%+ mst have been scrapped by now.

Its common place for Twin cams to be all new now . . .
Old 7 Apr 2016, 04:57 (Ref:3630855)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
I don't (k)now the answer.
We intend to use Alta which has rebuilt engine originating in 1939!
Car has not raced in Europe in past60 years.
If you are referring to Talbots.Only Talbot of mine being used in competition (Flying Scotsman)is BGH21 which has engine block ,head,and all other bits from 1934.

This is not to say that new blocks are needed for Talbots and all other Pre War cars as original blocks are between 75 and 90 years old.

Another preparer has been casting ally Talbot blocks for a few years which he maintains are historically correct.I don't have any and none in any of the original works cars.Jury out on that one.

If you want to keep any car going the bits that are worn must be replaced.

The other talking point is should we be competing with original engines,heads,gearboxes as they are getting worn and no original examples will be available for future generations .

We do but am beginning to think it's wrong.
Have knackered up at least five original engines with hard work.With only 500 original engines built it was crazy!

What to do Tel?
Take the Alloy route or bung the cars in a mueseum?
You can still get the magnatised paint from the states,for the "Purist" side of you.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 05:41 (Ref:3630861)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
We seem to be drifting away from the thread title, chaps.....

I fancied a day at the Festival to kick tyres, but difficult bit is that everyone I know who is racing there is competing on a different day! So sadly, likely won't make any....
Old 7 Apr 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3630868)   #39
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm hoping to see a bit more German machinery from the supertouring stable. As lovely as the E30s are, they aren't strictly supertourers, so it would be nice to see a few E36's and A4's.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3630930)   #40
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Looking around on Saturday last the paddock area seems to be about the same as it was last year. The work mentioned previously looks to be no more than finishing off the edges of the Formula E /Book-a-track complex with some fencing.

Interestingly there is now a strip of tarmac alongside the pedestrian gravel slope to the spectator areas at Redgate. That connects with the gate to the fully surfaced area outside the circuit perimeter where the Sunday Market and various other driving activities are held. Maybe there are overflow plans of some sort.

The infield is now mostly grass .... except for the rather important section next to Robert's esses where the larger of the original spectator and vehicle access tunnels is located. That area is still a mass of earth with various bits of building plant dotted around.

So I very much doubt that the full infield will be opened up by the end of the month.

Apart from that various sprucing up activities have been undertaken during the relatively short winter break which I take as a good sign.
Taken from the April edition of the CSCC club magazine, with reference to Donington Park:

"The refurbishment of Donington Park circuit is nearly fin- ished after five years of work on the venue.
Over the winter, a further £750,000 has been invested in the circuit and spectator facilities, bringing the total amount spent since 2010 to more than £11.5 million.
Recent work includes improving the safety of the circuit, including the installation of debris fencing along a section of the track and a new tyre wall at Hollywood. For specta- tors, new seating has been installed in the main Paddock Grandstand, while a new spectator bank is being built on the infield at the exit of Robert's Chicane.
Further improvements include a new tyre wall at Holly- wood, while all the famous blue and white walls and barri- ers around the circuit received a fresh coat of paint. The Winners’ Podium has also been updated over the winter, with a full rebuild of the stage and backdrop. Importantly, the marshals’ posts have also seen fresh investment, with new running areas and post protection. Of particular note are the new paddock facilities such as self-service electri- cal and water points now available in Paddock Two, while the toilet block in Paddock One has had a major refurbish- ment.
The circuit has demolished the Craner hospitality suites, which have not been usable since 2010."
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:36 (Ref:3631040)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Taken from the April edition of the CSCC club magazine, with reference to Donington Park:

"The refurbishment of Donington Park circuit is nearly fin- ished after five years of work on the venue.
Over the winter, a further £750,000 has been invested in the circuit and spectator facilities, bringing the total amount spent since 2010 to more than £11.5 million.
Recent work includes improving the safety of the circuit, including the installation of debris fencing along a section of the track and a new tyre wall at Hollywood. For specta- tors, new seating has been installed in the main Paddock Grandstand, while a new spectator bank is being built on the infield at the exit of Robert's Chicane.
Further improvements include a new tyre wall at Holly- wood, while all the famous blue and white walls and barri- ers around the circuit received a fresh coat of paint. The Winners’ Podium has also been updated over the winter, with a full rebuild of the stage and backdrop. Importantly, the marshals’ posts have also seen fresh investment, with new running areas and post protection. Of particular note are the new paddock facilities such as self-service electri- cal and water points now available in Paddock Two, while the toilet block in Paddock One has had a major refurbish- ment.
The circuit has demolished the Craner hospitality suites, which have not been usable since 2010."
I'm trying to think where there was any missing debris fencing - other than on the inside of the circuit or a small section around the loop.

I can't say that I can get excited by the refurbishment of the Podium since it never seems to be used for most of the meetings I attend.

The Paddock Two electrical and water connections must have been the result of the work done in winter 14-15. I'm wondering how they work - nothing seemed to be sticking out of the tarmac as I drove through the area.

As for the Spectator Bank - that's probably the pile of mud that now blocks more of the cross-circuit viewing potential even from the newly repainted and reseated Paddock Grandstand. Add people to it and once the trees where the Craner hospitality suites used to be have produced leaves, the racer's friends and families will have much less track to watch than in previous iterations of the layout. Much like when the infield was full of trees I suppose - for those who remember those times.

On the plus side the place does seem to be pretty busy these days - both the track and the wider estate venues. Presumably that is a good thing.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3631053)   #42
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I'm there Mike . E Type and MK 2 Jag . Could do with do with some help
Old 7 Apr 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3631060)   #43
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I'm there Mike . E Type and MK 2 Jag . Could do with do with some help
Curry opportunity?

Or one of the alternatives?
Old 8 Apr 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3631307)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep I shall be looking forward to our very own Donnington guide . Thanks GP .
Old 26 Apr 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3636493)   #45
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provis...y_List_DHF.pdf
Old 26 Apr 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3636546)   #46
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the entry list link. 1000 kms seems to be light on numbers for a long race. Any ideas why ? Too many races, usual dodgy DHF weather ? Still only takes two cars to make a race, but not sure they can manage that for 3 hours ! Touring cars look good though.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3636556)   #47
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The pre 91 touring cars is a very impressive entry list, but the Super Tourers look thin. Just too expensive to run for most people I assume?
Old 27 Apr 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3636618)   #48
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Have Alfa Romeo gone on strike? U2TC grid looks pretty bland, tells a story IMO. Frey few in any HRDC grids also.

Good to see pre war and 70's touring cars, the latest trend!
Old 27 Apr 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3636624)   #49
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There would have been more Pre War if any tyres available.

Dunlops will not have their 18/19 inch tyres available until August.

We have to keep what we have for Le Mans Classic on Talbots and have nothing for Alta.

No alternatives as Blockleys last ten minutes.

Can we please have return of Englebergs or whatever they were called..

Land Rover /Jaguar did the historic gang no favours when they gave short notice to Dunlop to quit the manufacturing place in Brum. Portugal obviously not place to produce specialised tyres.Bet John Pearson is pulling out his remaining hair as he has been let down badly!

Have asked around for any ideas of alternatives but no answers yet!!!
Old 27 Apr 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3636628)   #50
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zef,
Alfa GTAs - my thoughts exactly. Apart from the Banks' in their v. quick GTA, who have won this round before, and one other.
Lotus Cortinas have won the arms-race.
If you were an Alfa owner who was keen to win, why would you try and compete against the hot-rod LCs ? Ten years ago, you had a chance ... not now. So you don't enter and the grid is less full of variety.
Nick
Grumpy old b*st*rd.