Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3172269)   #26
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll do it!

15 Year Old Motorsport anorak anyone? I often find myself shouting at commentator's and others when they don't spot things. For example Ben Edwards this weekend was saying how Maldonado had retired but didn't know how... I saw the car had spun off at Turn 3?

I'd love that role, but I am joking!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 27 Nov 2012, 17:34 (Ref:3172281)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
Not James Allen... please!
Ouch! I hadn't thought of him, but you can bet that someone at the Beeb has.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3172300)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think Jake has been brilliant and am very sorry to see him go; Lee would be a fine replacement, though. Besides, now there's no more Schuey to flirt with, she's got to fill her time somehow...
Old 27 Nov 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3172324)   #29
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am guessing this Nicholls guy is bound to be the son or somehting of Richard!! I always quite liked him aswell, one of the few motorsport commentators I could stomach even though a lot dislike him!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 22:20 (Ref:3172349)   #30
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I am guessing this Nicholls guy is bound to be the son or somehting of Richard!! I always quite liked him aswell, one of the few motorsport commentators I could stomach even though a lot dislike him!
They don't need another commentator though, they need another anchor and presenter. I have found Jake's easy style a refreshing change to the studio-bound presenting of the past. Others have tried to copy it (BTCC, Sky F1) but they haven't got the chemistry between the presenters. I can't see them keeping the format without bringing in someone who is already working in the team. My money is on Lee.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3172355)   #31
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOT James Allen!!!!!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3172365)   #32
SuperMarshal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
SuperMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, definitely not James Allen. What about Vicki Butler-Henderson?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3172368)   #33
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely, not James Allen! Or Jonathan Legard.

I agree that Gary Anderson is brilliant, mostly because he is so non-meedja. Fat belly, Ulster accent, explains his points with a felt-tip pen and an A4 pad (so much better than the Skypad) and imparts real knowledge. I just wish he didn't repeat the first few words of the question every time the commentators throw it over to him.

It looks like I am totally out-of-step re Lee Mackenzie. Well, I'm not. I'm in step, and you lot are all out-of-step.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3172377)   #34
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could not agree with you more Peter.

The repartee between the three of them made the red button (especially) good to watch.

As Jake said on BBC 1's Breakfast Time recently, trotting around the world was becoming very tiring and with his wife expecting next March, he wants to be around home more.

Also the reported 1/4 million pounds a year salary must have helped his decision making process ..

Wonder what the Beeb paid him !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

I'd never heard of him until I saw him on the F1 coverage, but he is young, has a view and always asks good questions of the co presenters. As a team all three were bound to either bond or fall apart. They bonded together to make an almost perfect show. A bit like having a bunch of mates in the living room. All with differing views but also all with one common enthusiasm.

Old 27 Nov 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3172379)   #35
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, she would be good and always has a twinkle in her eye ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarshal View Post
What about Vicki Butler-Henderson?
Old 28 Nov 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3172471)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
As Jake said on BBC 1's Breakfast Time recently, trotting around the world was becoming very tiring and with his wife expecting next March, he wants to be around home more.
He mustn't have been getting much rest at home either
Old 28 Nov 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3172579)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Very surprised to see the amount of flack Jack's getting, and perhaps more worrying still the amount of votes Lee's getting the take over! I just think she's dull as dishwater. That voice and tone alone sends me to sleep after a roast!

Fine for a couple of quick, in-passing interviews with drivers that don't want to chat after retiring, but anchor?! Hmm, really not sure about that. Can't see her working well with EJ and DC for banter, that's for sure.

I thought those 3 were fantastic. Surprised people weren't fans. Could just be a "don't know what you've got til it's gone" kind of thing.

Selby
Old 28 Nov 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3172664)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I don't think the 3 of then got on as well as half people think!

Jake and DC were often exasperated by EJ, Jake often patronised the hell out of EJ which caused EJ who prob has the skin nearly rhino to bite his lip and even DC sucked his cheeks in at Jake's nonchalance sometimes.

It was clearly time for the 3 to split anyway.

Can't see Lee as anchor that inane permagrin won't please many but she does have a good presence as interviewer and news voice.

Honestly I can't think who they could bring in from motorsport media though? Surely it'll have to be another generalist?

Who though, George or Sally off Beeb breakfast sports news?!

Manish is quite good?
Old 28 Nov 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3172685)   #39
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would much rather another generalist to be honest. Jake had that loveable big kid feeling to his presenting so I think they'll have to go in another direction. But I could see them going along the lines of ex-kids tv like with Matt Baker or someone. God, I've just realised there is also Chris Evans...he's a car nut but I'd imagine he'd be getting a tidy sum from the One Show. Thank God.

Did people really see Jake as arrogant? I never got that impression about him, maybe he did try a bit hard to fit in but he never seemed to be above his collegues. Someone mentioned Steve Ryder earlier on, I've always found him extremely arrogant but I guess it depends on peoples tastes of character.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3172698)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly preferred Jake to Steve.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3172843)   #41
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BBC Sport have reduced the number of "in house" presenters in recent years, instead choosing to bring them back in as freelancers for events.

Examples being Sue Barker (she may have a separate BBC Entertainment contract though for QOS) for Wimbledon and the Olympics and Claire Balding with Equestrian (now very little on the BBC) and the Olympics.

So it will be interesting to see if they use someone "in house" or whether they contract someone in to do it.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3172846)   #42
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about some of the Top Gear crew Richard Hamond perhaps?
Old 29 Nov 2012, 00:17 (Ref:3172855)   #43
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think that Jake was not too happy at having champagne poured over him at the end of the Red Button show on Sunday ...

He looked pretty peeved and I think that he was close to saying something which might not have been broadcast quality ...
Old 29 Nov 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3172856)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Can't say as I've seen anything that Hammond has done Live that's lead me to believe that he's that good a live presenter. Especially within a lively pitlane environment.

Also not sure that's the approach that the BBC would really want to take, I think that Lee McKenzie has shown enough during the non-Jake races that she can host the show.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3172918)   #45
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
NOOO ooooo ooooo .......

I might actually stop watching F1 if they introduce any connection to Top Gear.

In fact it might be a case of thank God for Sky!

I remember when the Beeb took over F1 they said then it was completely different and separate from TG and would remain so.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3172954)   #46
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What about Ben edwards, DC and EJ? Simple and perfect.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3173001)   #47
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That is possibly the only thing that could conceivably force me to purchase a SKY subscription.......
Old 29 Nov 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3173024)   #48
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Just to put a more optimistic spin on things, I decided to compile a list of the 10 worst people who could possibly get the job. Sadly though, when I got to number 10, I realised, somewhere deep in the bowels of the BBC, some exec is working his way through this exact list, making offers to agents....

1.Nigel Mansell
2.Alain Prost
3.Timmy Mallett
4.Eddie Irvine (Who might be quite good, if you could stop him dry humping all the equipment long enough to do a piece to camera)
5.Jeremy Clarkson
6.Mika Hakkinen
7.Michael Schumacher
8.Ant & Dec
9.Noel Edmonds
10.Flavio Briatore

If we get Lee Mckenzie and you're thinking of moaning about her, just reflect on the fact we dodged the above 10 bullets before whining forth...
Old 29 Nov 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3173026)   #49
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HA HA Ha!

And last night I suddenly realised they've also got Graham Norton on a long term contract......
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3173067)   #50
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
That is possibly the only thing that could conceivably force me to purchase a SKY subscription.......
Likwise...