Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:16 (Ref:674221)   #26
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario afraid of IRL unsafety?
Curious, as he is the most seriously injured driver of the season, and the only one who wasn't injured drivign a car!
On-track injured drivers: De Ferran (Indy winner + Nashville); Scott Dixon (three-winner and points leader); Tony Kanaan (Phoenix winner and points runner-up).
Amazing, isn't it?
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:02 (Ref:674338)   #27
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Rocketsports is not as well funded as they seem to be, as they took Tag because they wouldn't need to pay his salary.
Actually, their first choice was Max, so they must have had some money to pay a driver.

I think it'll come down to, does Dario have to have 5.5 million? If he settles for 1 or 2, he'll get a ride.. if he wants more, it'll be tricky.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:674343)   #28
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario i s welcomed back- He wanted a secure Winning ride which the AGR team appeared it could deliver, and more money. Of course he like cart, they all do.
Dario coming back may signal te return of more, and CART may rise up on bit at a time.
come back Dario, and bring Herta with you, and Kanaan...
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:674345)   #29
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe someday, John, you'll realize there are things that are more important in life than money. Intangible things like honor, loyalty, and integrity. Things you can't buy. Things Dario wouldn't know if they smacked him in the face.

With Dario, we're not talking money in terms of $$$$$. When you're making that much, yes, you sometimes have to set your morals aside. But we're talking in terms of $$$$$$$, plus the $$$$$$$$ of his wife. Dario's set for life, and making enough money to support himself and his family stopped being a concern in his life many years ago. He reaped the rewards years ago of the work he put in to be paid for his services as a driver. He just got greedy.

I hope you're not clueless enough to actually believe that feeble Great One argument. There is _no_ similarity between the circumstances, other than there being two different leagues playing pro hockey at the same time. The WHA wasn't on the verge of destroying the NHL, nor did Gretzky owe his entire career to the NHL, as Dario does to CART. CART made him the star he is, and in it's weakest moment, he turned his back and followed the money. That is greed, that is cowardice, that's being a quizzling. And he should be ashamed of himself.

Jay, in your scenario, I'd simply turn and walk away. I don't respect him, and I don't acknowledge him.

And in the end, he's just not worth having back. Neither is Kanaan. Neither are most of the traitors. The 'nice guy' argument won't work with the true selves they've shown. And that leaves overrated mid-fielders. Dozens of more talented and more marketable drivers are available for a song throughout Mexico, the US, and Canada, as well as the rest of the world. CART has a chance to start over with guys who will really fight on track, not drive at 90% and collect fat paychecks as much of the field did for the last few years.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Jul 2003 at 14:17.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:17 (Ref:674348)   #30
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
All fair points Lee.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:26 (Ref:674355)   #31
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Maybe someday, John, you'll realize there are things that are more important in life than money. Intangible things like honor, loyalty, and integrity. Things you can't buy. Things Dario wouldn't know if they smacked him in the face.

With Dario, we're not talking money in terms of $$$$$. When you're making that much, yes, you sometimes have to set your morals aside. But we're talking in terms of $$$$$$$, plus the $$$$$$$$ of his wife. Dario's set for life, and making enough money to support himself and his family stopped being a concern in his life many years ago. He reaped the rewards years ago of the work he put in to be paid for his services as a driver. He just got greedy.

I hope you're not clueless enough to actually believe that feeble Great One argument. There is _no_ similarity between the circumstances, other than there being two different leagues playing pro hockey at the same time. The WHA wasn't on the verge of destroying the NHL, nor did Gretzky owe his entire career to the NHL, as Dario does to CART. CART made him the star he is, and in it's weakest moment, he turned his back and followed the money. That is greed, that is cowardice, that's being a quizzling. And he should be ashamed of himself.

Jay, in your scenario, I'd simply turn and walk away. I don't respect him, and I don't acknowledge him.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 14:54 (Ref:674374)   #32
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best marketing scenario would be for him to come back to open arms, like the prodigal son. You want every team out there who'd consider investing in CART to see that CART can take the high road.

Then he should drive a Coyne car for a year. When he disappears everyone can say "see, we never missed him."

Last edited by paul-collins; 29 Jul 2003 at 14:56.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jul 2003, 15:37 (Ref:674402)   #33
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Old 29 Jul 2003, 16:03 (Ref:674418)   #34
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the teams at Indy were drawing to determine the qualifying order, I realized I was standing next to Dario, so of course I said hi. We talked for just a minute and I asked him if he missed CART. He thought for a minute and said, "Yeah, I do miss the road racing, but it seems like everything is here now anyway."

It's true... half of the IRL field is former CART drivers and it drives me crazy! If he went back to CART, I do think other people would follow him.

I'd definately welcome him back!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 16:39 (Ref:674434)   #35
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the drivers who may return might be suprised by the level of compition in the top half.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 16:49 (Ref:674442)   #36
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Agreed! Note that almost all of the guys that went to the IRL are racing at the front, when they might not have been or were not in Cart. However, the Cart drivers that stayed here (except for Tracy) have hardly moved up or down the grid.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 17:00 (Ref:674453)   #37
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point! Plus, it will be hard to adjust from oval racing to road racing right away.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 18:15 (Ref:674528)   #38
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it'll take too long to adjust to road racing...he's only had three IRL Indycar Series races this year, after all. Might need a lil' while to adjust back to a champcar, but that wont take long, I wouldnt think.

As a Dario fan, I'd support him whatever he decides to do. As long as he's happy with what he's doing, thats the main thing.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 19:34 (Ref:674608)   #39
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
That's true, I really don't think it'd take him long to get back to his old form... With the right team, he could probably even take a run a the championship.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:50 (Ref:674743)   #40
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read this in a Robbin Miller Article on the Last Earl Race :http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0728/1586700.html

"That was a bunch of (****), and we also caught Sam speeding once on pit lane and called it in but the IRL didn't do anything," said one IRL owner afterwards. "He (Hornish) also jumped the start.

"I guess this whole thing is about getting Hornish some wins."

Yes Please, **** off some more owners and manufactures will you Tony and Brian... Keep up the good work.... If you leave Tony alone long enough, he will nail IRL's coffin with his on hammer

So has any one heard more about the Rumors of Mo Nun coming back to Cart with a 2 car team? And what other teams do you think may switch to Cart next year?

Last edited by boom boom; 29 Jul 2003 at 21:53.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 22:09 (Ref:674756)   #41
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I dont know where the rumours about Mo Nunn coming back to Cart with a two car team came from... I haven't seen anything to confirm that at all. We'll see how long it lasts though.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 22:16 (Ref:674767)   #42
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rumours of people returning are encouraging, I think part of the reason for the exodus was due to sponsorship issues (with Marlboro and Penske anyway) and the fact that CART managed to **** off all the engine manufacturers a couple of years ago with the pop off valve hoo ha, the teams just followed the people that were paying for the racing.

But I have to say i do miss de Ferran and Castroneves. They knew how to drive and were great on road courses. But I guess they aint coming back anytime soon.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 22:57 (Ref:674792)   #43
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Mo Nunn I'd welcome back. He _had_ to follow the money in order to keep his raceshop open.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 23:47 (Ref:674818)   #44
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We only would probably like one or two teams back in any case. The key is to make our current crop able to afford good drivers.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 01:23 (Ref:674847)   #45
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want Dario back -- he'd only last maybe one more year anyway, and I'd rather spend the money (as if it were mine) to develop a young driver who really wants to race in CART.

As for Helio, good riddance to him, he's gone completely over to the other side and let him enjoy himself there. And I hear Gil is retiring at the end of this year because he's beginning to suffer after-effects from his three concussions and realised that another one would have serious long term effects on his future life. I'd have him back but none of the others. Seriously I don't even miss them.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 03:27 (Ref:674889)   #46
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Scott Dixon?
Old 30 Jul 2003, 03:29 (Ref:674891)   #47
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one I would like back is Dixon. The rest can stay there.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 03:43 (Ref:674897)   #48
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, Dixon was under contract, it wasn't his choice.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 04:04 (Ref:674905)   #49
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And I hear Gil is retiring at the end of this year because he's beginning to suffer after-effects from his three concussions and realised that another one would have serious long term effects on his future life.
I thought Gil was trying out for American Idol.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 04:12 (Ref:674909)   #50
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all due respects to the profundity of Mr Corkholio, I think we have the most exciting group of drivers I can remember...wellll, at least sence Moss, Fangio, Mike hawthorn, Peter Collins; any way, the equipment is more evenly matched.

If you don't like this kind of racing, it's time to move on, you don't like racing.