Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 May 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3245479)   #26
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think after the debacle of the TV deal being done so late in the peace and then loosing series sponsors like Bigpond etc the teams have lost faith in Archer. Having seen what companies like Archer do in my job it is not surprising that the teams are now look for a way to buy it back from them, I just hope they can do it soon.
Old 11 May 2013, 02:57 (Ref:3245541)   #27
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I am not sure what way you could have run it differently with expiring government contracts, lowering tv and attendance dove tailing into a new tv contract.

Many of the previous agreements weren't sustainable which doesnt leave you in a good position.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier D.R.T - missed this post. There are always contracts expiring needing renewal (& that would have all been known at purchase time) and attendances can ebb and flow but the current situation would have been helped no end if the new administration had actually developed relationships with key sponsors, rather than virtually ignoring them and been more professional with the TV dealings.

The income may or may not have been up to that achieved by the previous administration but I don't think that it would have slid as far as it has. Seems to me that Archer simply hadn't thought through what structure they'd need, how best to run the place and didn't get the speed at which things can change in a pro sport and how much focus is needed. Seems to me that they're looking at all that now but by the sound of the article referred to in this thread, it seems they've lost the confidence of at least some of the teams. Plenty of work to be done, either by Archer or by a new ownership structure if it does get sold.
Old 11 May 2013, 03:51 (Ref:3245552)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sorry I didn't reply earlier D.R.T - missed this post. There are always contracts expiring needing renewal (& that would have all been known at purchase time) and attendances can ebb and flow but the current situation would have been helped no end if the new administration had actually developed relationships with key sponsors, rather than virtually ignoring them and been more professional with the TV dealings.

The income may or may not have been up to that achieved by the previous administration but I don't think that it would have slid as far as it has. Seems to me that Archer simply hadn't thought through what structure they'd need, how best to run the place and didn't get the speed at which things can change in a pro sport and how much focus is needed. Seems to me that they're looking at all that now but by the sound of the article referred to in this thread, it seems they've lost the confidence of at least some of the teams. Plenty of work to be done, either by Archer or by a new ownership structure if it does get sold.
nicely worded, well done
Old 11 May 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3245557)   #29
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Some people do seem to think that. But if you buy a second hand car from someone, and only look at the outside, and dont see if it runs, if it has petrol in the tank, if it has an engine aboard... and you still buy it.. is it the fault of the person selling the car that you didnt notice all of these things, or your own?
well it all depends on the specific topical knowledge of the buyer and the seller (Baldry v Marshall, Finch Motors v Quin, Oscar Chess Ltd v Williams, or in a similar vein to what is happening here, Handbury v Nolan )
Old 11 May 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3245866)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I really hate the whole REC thing. Let anyone who builds a car conforming to the rules try and make a race ffs.
Old 11 May 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3245903)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I really hate the whole REC thing. Let anyone who builds a car conforming to the rules try and make a race ffs.
The 'REC thing' is the only element of the category that has been able to keep 28 cars on the track at that standard for so many years. To remove it, as they did by stealth from an income perspective anyway, has hurt significantly.

No different to owners points in NASCAR that generate income, and allow dispensation for qualifying failures and the like.

We shall see
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 May 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3245911)   #32
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The one thing they should do is free up a couple of RECs.
Old 11 May 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3245912)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The one thing they should do is free up a couple of RECs.
Who else besides the current 28 REC holders has a COTF-spec car in their shed?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 May 2013, 03:07 (Ref:3245975)   #34
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I thought 28 was the magic number that fits in a plane for fly away rounds..
Old 12 May 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3245980)   #35
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
And I thought 28 was the magic number that fits in a plane for fly away rounds..
No, that was 32 - although only having 28 means that there's room for safety car, course car, medical car as well.
Old 12 May 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3246022)   #36
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now the COTF hasn't proved to by any faster than the Project Blueprint cars it replaced will we see an acceleration of the introduction of the COTF into the Dunlop Series?

The odd sale of a COTF here and there might free up some cash for the teams.
Old 12 May 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3246068)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Now the COTF hasn't proved to by any faster than the Project Blueprint cars it replaced will we see an acceleration of the introduction of the COTF into the Dunlop Series?

AA this week asked that very question, with the first CotF chassis eligible for the Dunlop Series in 2016...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 May 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3246074)   #38
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
AA this week asked that very question, with the first CotF chassis eligible for the Dunlop Series in 2016...
oops, I didn't buy last weeks for the first time in a while.....
Old 13 May 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3246472)   #39
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Except that they have to build another one and no Dev series team has $500-600K to purchase one car - which is roughly what they initially cost to build.

Second time around they reckon they might be able to get them built for around $350-400K, maybe.

The other issue is that the Dunlop teams not only have to buy the car - they need to buy all the new componentry that goes with it - including spares. Transaxles, rear end suspension, all the control components, 18-inch wheels and scrap a good portion of their current inventory of spares. This process put a lot of the V8SC teams in financial stress - imagine what it would do to the Dev teams.
Old 13 May 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3246567)   #40
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:

And from what teams are saying they are only marginally cheaper to build.
Old 15 May 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3247671)   #41
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
No, that was 32 - although only having 28 means that there's room for safety car, course car, medical car as well.
unless it is Abu Dhabi and they rely on the F1 Circus infrastructure.
Old 15 May 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3248156)   #42
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have got a few dollars spare and a ticket in lotto, might put a bid in.

Interesting thow, GTR might be able to ansewr this, how many RECs are currently leased.

I know Eberus has one, DJR, i think Techno, LDM.

Are the smart ppl holding on for a buyout to pick some dollars as they are the owners of the RECS or waiting to see where COTF goes?

could be a smart business move. SBR sold , but one rec remains with the Stones. Charlie, James, and a couple more ae single rec holders, could this go in there favour?

interesting times ahead

Last edited by fomoco; 15 May 2013 at 22:17. Reason: single rec enrties
Old 15 May 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3248180)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I have got a few dollars spare and a ticket in lotto, might put a bid in.

Interesting thow, GTR might be able to ansewr this, how many RECs are currently leased.

I know Eberus has one, DJR, i think Techno, LDM.

Are the smart ppl holding on for a buyout to pick some dollars as they are the owners of the RECS or waiting to see where COTF goes?

could be a smart business move. SBR sold , but one rec remains with the Stones. Charlie, James, and a couple more ae single rec holders, could this go in there favour?

interesting times ahead
There is a difference between a lease, where the entity leasing the REC assumes all obligations for running the REC, and management control, where the entity controlling the REC does not ultimately have that obligation

Leased RECs are thought to include:
- SBR #9 to Erebus
- PMM #97 to Tekno
- Fiore #12 to DJR

The RECs like the #47 JRR one or the #55 RNR one or the #18 Chasports one are managed by Erebus & FPR, but the responsibility for showing up at every event with an eligible car still falls on the REC holder, not the preparation team.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 May 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3248206)   #44
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Didn't Morris sell his to Tekno?
Old 16 May 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3248220)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Didn't Morris sell his to Tekno?
Not just yet..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Jan 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3355736)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interesting thoughts from Mr McKay Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Gentlemen, start your bids for probable V8 Supercars sale

Date: January 19, 2014 by Peter McKay
Watching the intriguing events unfolding at V8 Supercars Australia has long been an exciting spectator sport, more so since private equity firm Archer Capital bought a majority shareholding in mid 2011, paying what some observers believe was an inflated price. Developments this past week are seen as further evidence that Archer is preparing to sell the nation's premier racing category, these days leaner than ever, with a focus on domestic rather than international events. Speculation of a sale - perhaps this year - heightened by further culling (as website Speedcafe so eloquently put it) of more long-time employees.
Staff member Kurt Sakzewski, the promoted events general manager, has been shown the exit following a review of structure and resourcing late last year. Going too is Ken Jeffress, another experienced hand whose expertise is in V8 Supercars operations and finance. The former V8 Supercars office in Nerang is up for lease and the business recently relocated most of its senior management to Sydney to be cosy with new chief executive James Warburton. These are the latest in a shake-up that began with the departure in 2012 of chairman Tony Cochrane.

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3355833)   #47
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting thoughts from Mr McKay Here

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Anyone else think Cochrane and the team owners could end up doing a Kerry Packer on Archer Bond.. I mean Capital???
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3355834)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Anyone else think Cochrane and the team owners could end up doing a Kerry Packer on Archer Bond.. I mean Capital???
You can only hope
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3355845)   #49
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Maybe T Quinn, Nash, Walkinshaw,French, Paul Morris and a couple of others could buy in, and maybe invite one Roger P along , but series being owned by teams almost end up splitting up or hold up evolution, but it would be better than capital ventures or merchant bankers
Old 20 Jan 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3356046)   #50
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Maybe T Quinn, Nash, Walkinshaw,French, Paul Morris and a couple of others could buy in, and maybe invite one Roger P along , but series being owned by teams almost end up splitting up or hold up evolution, but it would be better than capital ventures or merchant bankers
Inmates running the asylum?

Who owns it is probably not as important as who is running it.

And what is abundantly clear is that the teams should not be running it.

AFL & NRL have independent boards without conflicts of interest. V8s needs the same. No teams on the board or the commission.