Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Dec 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1491853)   #26
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how would one contact Will?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1491855)   #27
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Storyline, You worked for the Auntie did you ?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1491862)   #28
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
Here's one someone might be able to help me with...in the late 70's...early 80's the ABC used to have a catchy theme tune for their motorsport...like some sort of synthesizer.......anyone know tune name and artist?
Ive got no idea, but am interested
Great theme!!l oved it..... and the enthusiastic voice of Will Hagon-great TV!
Old 30 Dec 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1491880)   #29
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not directly for Auntie - alongside commentary I did though.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1492159)   #30
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
how would one contact Will?
Will is a regular on ABC radio (774 in Melbourne) around 10 pm to midnight with Tony Delroy on The Nightlife, but its on summer programming - try an email?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1492221)   #31
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its ok...Storyline PM'd me a contact...thanks mate
Old 30 Dec 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1492262)   #32
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hagon is still comentating the Australian Superbike series for Ch10
Old 31 Dec 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1492317)   #33
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will also commentates regularly on Inside Speed for a variety of things as well.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1492320)   #34
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The old ABC motorsport theme was quite catchy. I'm not sure it would have a name, the music may have been put together at ABC themselves. Certainly wasn't 'fanfare for the common man though', Channel 7 started using that in 1990.

Channel 7 had some good into music in the early 80s, one for Hardies Heroes, the other for the intro to the raceday telecast (by Jon Ertler, no song name given though in credits). The closer to their telecasts wasn't bad, straight from CBS in America.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 04:03 (Ref:1492325)   #35
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say I remember the 'straight from CBS in America' closing music on 7 in the 80s, but in the 90s, it was 'The Next Time I'm in Town' by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, straight off a Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins CD titled 'Neck and Neck'.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 06:34 (Ref:1492337)   #36
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the old ABC Motorsport theme i taped once on an old 79 cassette -

still sounds great! Will Hagon is heaps better than his son Toby he is a natural at commentating, well informed and enthusiatic.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1492339)   #37
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Channel 7 started using that in 1990
I left the ABC WA (Gaffer) in 85 and Id heard it used in the studio as intro music for something years before 7 used it, but thats a mute point as it must of been used for something other than outside broadcasts (which I never worked on).
Old 1 Jan 2006, 11:09 (Ref:1492783)   #38
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace
still sounds great! Will Hagon is heaps better than his son Toby he is a natural at commentating, well informed and enthusiatic.
The AMRS commentary from Hagon Snr on Speedweek this year has been anything but "well informed". His lack of research into the Touring Car Challenge and APCC in particular made his commentary truly cringe worthy IMO. I am thinking of the Oran Park round in particular (he didn't do many IIRC), and whilst I don't have any quotes or examples at hand now, 75% of what he said was rubbish........

Actually I do remember him explaining about the Vergotis VL being a famous Brock Commodore from the 80s. Surely he should know better than that...........

Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow night, I sure hope the somewhat temperamental digital reception doesn't let me down........
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1492995)   #39
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
He, and others doing commentary, can only go by what they are provided on the cars. The biggest problem is that some of the informaiton being supplied is, at best, faniciful, at worst, absolutely atrocious or even non-existent (the drivers seem to expect everyone to know the history of the car)
Old 1 Jan 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1493061)   #40
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest problem is that some of the informaiton being supplied is, at best, faniciful, at worst, absolutely atrocious or even non-existent (the drivers seem to expect everyone to know the history of the car)
Really, why do other commentators have no problem? Where are your facts to support this?
Old 1 Jan 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1493068)   #41
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Have you seen the info sheets supplied by the teams in the series? I have - as I stated - some are reasonable, many are non-existant. As to why the 'other commentators' have no trouble - I think you will find that they have actually been to the events and talked to the drivers and teams. Will hasn't so he only has these Driver Profile Sheets to go on (and, if you bother to take a look at them - the blanks are available on the TCC web site) they do not provide for much space to provide driver or car history (a single line) - two lines for previous results but for many of these cars it is a very very condensed version (and yes, I have seen what has been supplied - at the 2004 Eastern Creek Round - there wasn't anything supplied for 2005)
Old 2 Jan 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1493108)   #42
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, lets get back on topic, if you have a beef with each other (which you obviously have by past threads Mr Storyline & Mr Ryan) take it somewhere else. Let the enthusiasts talk motorsport here and leave your egos at the keyboard.

Now, counting the hours till we can watch some great motorsport from the Auntie over the following nights - enjoy.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:04 (Ref:1493114)   #43
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
No beef in this one (the other thread - well it all comes down to opinions doesn't?).

Here there is a problem with information being supplied - the problem being that the info isn't there where it is needed. As I pointed out - have a look on the TCC web site at the form the drivers/teams have to fill in - basically it comes down to a single sentence for a car/drivers history. I don't believe Luke Searles (or even David Towe's) info would fit on one line.

Then there is a problem in actually getting that info out - again, as I mentioned, in 2004 it was there and readily available - 2005 has been a bit different though so, if a commentator gets the info wrong, don't shoot him - look beyond him to see where the problem is and how it can be fixed (because it does need to be fixed for the category to move ahead).

This, btw, applies to all categories, not just TCC. Although I think the ABC series will be a bit 'too old' to help some of these cars! (now just bring back an F5000 series like they are doing in NZ - that would bring a few people back in through the gates!)
Old 2 Jan 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1493151)   #44
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F5000 series like they are doing in NZ - that would bring a few people back in through the gates!)
Storline I AGREE with you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1493186)   #45
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
It takes you a week
Yeah, sorry about that. Just for you I will put my private and professional life on hold so I can have it in the mail the day is screens

Suggest you think before you speak. I was making an offer to the regulars who may or may not have the wherewithal to watch / save the screenings. If you are offering to supersede my offer then go right ahead. If you are just being a smart aleck as it sounds then hope you feel better.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1493189)   #46
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
F5000 series like they are doing in NZ - that would bring a few people back in through the gates!)
Storline I AGREE with you!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey mods - can this message be saved somewhere for posterity please?
Old 2 Jan 2006, 03:55 (Ref:1493190)   #47
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE:Will Hagon's Speedweek/Inside Speed commentary this year;

One thing to remember with Speedweek, Inside Speed an even Trackside, is that these events are post produced and commentary added to the footage mid-week, the events aren't called live or as-live (meaning commentated as it happens in full, then edited for broadcast, the ABC used to do this for some races like Oran Park and Sandown, and Channel 7 did it in their last few years of ATCC telecasts).

Some of the commentaters on the AMRS races for example may not have even been at the race meetings to get any background info. I personally much prefer a live or as-live call, but post-produced seems the done thing these days.

Looking forward to this weeks viewing, hopefully the 'Late Night Legends' program proves successful and ABC2 keeps it going, and in the coming months more old races are featured
Old 2 Jan 2006, 04:34 (Ref:1493202)   #48
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Apologies if anyone thought I was 'having a go' at Will - I certainly wasn't.

All except the V8's are done post-production - as you say, usually about a week later although I understand quite a few of the AMRS tapes in 2005 were only done on the Tues or Wed before they were broadcast (IOW sometimes a delay of 3-4 weeks).
Old 2 Jan 2006, 04:54 (Ref:1493210)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Not directed at you storyline nor anyone else, just a general comment, should have quoted this post from 00 XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
The AMRS commentary from Hagon Snr on Speedweek this year has been anything but "well informed". His lack of research into the Touring Car Challenge and APCC in particular made his commentary truly cringe worthy IMO. I am thinking of the Oran Park round in particular (he didn't do many IIRC), and whilst I don't have any quotes or examples at hand now, 75% of what he said was rubbish........

Actually I do remember him explaining about the Vergotis VL being a famous Brock Commodore from the 80s. Surely he should know better than that...........
Old 2 Jan 2006, 04:55 (Ref:1493211)   #50
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the considerably dulled Lex Marinos (of [I]Kingswood Country fame[I]) speaks up, then maybe we'll understand something from the program.