Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2421082)   #26
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA are now saying 'there is not enough time' to sort this before Australia!

I'm sorry but they knew about this well over a month ago and have done nothing - the one thing they couldn't have had more of is time.

In my view the FIA is looking for ways to stoke up and split the teams apart from FOTA - not giving any clear guidance on the answer to this just allows factions to develop and become embittered to each other. Same thing with the budget cap.

And Flavio for one (no doubt amonst others) is falling right into the trap getting himself all worked up and making legal complaints. The team bosses need to realise the stupid political games Mosley is playing with them.

Politics, politics, politics.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2421134)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How is it that it is so obvious to all the fans who read the press on this, but the team bosses can't see it. Amazing really!
Old 21 Mar 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2421484)   #28
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with above. This is a total farce! The FIA are jsut wanting to split up the teams and also absolve themselves of any responsibility by effectively saying "let the stewards decide", so that whatever the outcome we'll just attack them again! Also the way Mosley goes "it's not for me to decide" is just so weak.

They left the loop-hole in the rules. The 3 fancy diffuser teams have done nothing wrong by using their brains to find performance (i.e. do their jobs) and the other teams have just been too slow on the uptake to spot this; if they had, they certainly would have created similar designs themselves. That's the facts.

They could have made a decision immediately when the issue arose, but instead the FIA yet again come across as not having a clue about what their doing or want! They should just leave it be now and tell the other teams they'll have to catch up, just like with Renault when the other teams tweaked their engines in a slightly unscrupulous manner.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2421592)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've never seen anything like this before, this "sport" is a joke. I'm selling my telly.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2422125)   #30
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Unfortunately this is the sort of **** that happens when you don't standardise parts that should be made standard.
Ah, no. This sort of things happens when you make things very complicated. Besides, the diffuser shouldn't be standardized. It'd better to ban it. Pure and simple.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2422136)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Ah, no. This sort of things happens when you make things very complicated. Besides, the diffuser shouldn't be standardized. It'd better to ban it. Pure and simple.
Maybe there should be a choice of 'standard' parts.Three types of suspension,three diffusers,three rear wings,three front wings etc.

Mix and match.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2422146)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's wrong with a standard diffuser (or a diffuser that meets a certain template), bearing in mind that F1 cars should have a level of aerodynamics that still makes them the fastest things on wheels that turn left and right but the thing shouldn't be ruined by a massive technical regulations handbags competition at scrutineering.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2422152)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
(or a diffuser that meets a certain template)
The current ones are supposed to do that,but there seems to be some argument about it.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2422597)   #34
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Total BS. This issue has been front-and-center for 2 months now.
No ruling by the first race ? Then it's legal. Period.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2422715)   #35
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
What's wrong with a standard diffuser (or a diffuser that meets a certain template), bearing in mind that F1 cars should have a level of aerodynamics that still makes them the fastest things on wheels that turn left and right but the thing shouldn't be ruined by a massive technical regulations handbags competition at scrutineering.
Standard components are against the spirit of the series. I agree that Formula 1 should have a level of aerodynamics but that doesn't make diffusers necessary.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2423153)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote from that very sensible Mr Saward in his F1 blog:
Quote:
My view is that if a team has been clever and read the rules in a legal way then there is nothing wrong with that. If the rules are badly-phrased or leave holes for the engineers to jump through, then those who do it are clever. There is, however, a clear difference between being clever and cheating.

They say that a little controversy is good to get people excited about the new F1 season. I am not a believer in all publicity being good publicity but in the overall scheme of things, the average man on the bus will never get excited about the arcane struggles that go on. It is the “anoraks” that get outraged and say that F1 is going to the dogs. The recent kerfuffle about points is a good example. Changing the points system and then changing it back again was completely incomprehensible for the average José in Barcelona. They just scratched their heads, shrugged their shoulders and went back to their tapas and looking at the pretty girls.
Nuff said?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2423647)   #37
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull will protest the Brawn diffuser if their cars pass scrutineering:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73876

Whilst good old Pat Symonds contradicts Flav and talks some sense:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...23154920.shtml
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2423656)   #38
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio began complaining (more) when their advantage over the rest of the teams, Miclelin, left the sport. Michelin worked exclusively with them on some innovative suspension technologies that allowed an underpowered car to win races.
Now, they, instead of getting to work are hoping to be gifted race wins. This is pathetic. The car was deemed to be legal therefore figure out how to beat the teams on track not in a courtroom.

BrawnGP will drop out of F1 if they are forced to change their car. The money simply is not there. I will probably stop watching too if the season begins with six cars being disqualified.
If I want disappointment I can just look at my 401k.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2423671)   #39
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's pathetic at all! Clearly a grey area, and clearly millions of dollars at stake - appeals and protests are inevitable.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2423740)   #40
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap View Post
Flavio began complaining (more) when their advantage over the rest of the teams, Miclelin, left the sport. Michelin worked exclusively with them on some innovative suspension technologies that allowed an underpowered car to win races.
Now, they, instead of getting to work are hoping to be gifted race wins. This is pathetic. The car was deemed to be legal therefore figure out how to beat the teams on track not in a courtroom.
Renault's mass dampers were declared legal, but were subsequently protested successfully by rival teams. How is this any different?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2423802)   #41
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Standard components are against the spirit of the series. I agree that Formula 1 should have a level of aerodynamics but that doesn't make diffusers necessary.
Standard components may be considered by some to be against the spirit of the series. I am not overly keen on them myself, but there are a limited number of things that in my opinion should be control (tyres), and others that should be made to a single design (wings). Not as in "the rules say N", as in "here is a half scale model of the nose cone/rear wing/diffuser you will have on your car, we will have NASCAR-style templates at the race".

I consider these occasional farces that happen in some cases for certain parts (aero nowadays, formerly tyres) equally against the spirit of F1. F1 is a sport where drivers race each other on a circuits. It's F1, not Major League Sports Barristers.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2423862)   #42
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Renault's mass dampers were declared legal, but were subsequently protested successfully by rival teams. How is this any different?
Its not different at all.

Both situations shouldn't happen. It effectivly means the view of the race stewards, trumps the view of the FIA Technical team. Insane.

I think we are just all disappointed that a new age of F1 will begin with grown men back-biting, sniping and sulking instead of racing. It's pathetic and I'm trying really hard to ignore it. What could be one of the good news stories of F1's recent past (Brawn being competitive) could be ruined by this. If it's illegal, fair enough, no arguments - but why oh why do we need to wait until the point of maximum public embarrasement for all concerned before we get an answer? Again, pathetic!

But, then again, as Max has alluded too already - he could have referred this matter for a definitive answer. He could even have done that as late as this week (see Autosport.com). But he hasn't - because he wants to break the teams up.

Come the end of this weekend when the team bosses are all in a big scrap on the start straight (ala the Asterix comics!) - Mosley and Bernie will be sat in their tower cackling like Mr Burns, shouting 'dance puppets dance'!

(Either that or nothing will happen and it will be a great race!)
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2423868)   #43
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The root of the problem is in the regulation writing.
The rules are written.
Teams make an interpretation and ask for clarity.
They get a letter from the technical committee saying yes thats OK.
It should be OK.... but then the FIA plays the teams off against each other by creating the shootout at or after the race....

It's called divide and conquer... Max and Bernie are experts.
What the teams should not do is protest. What they should do is all agree the interpretation by Brawn is correct and all go and build similar diffusers asap.
The important thing is they remain united and don't allow Max & Bernie to split them up over technical issues.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2423870)   #44
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What the teams should not do is protest. What they should do is all agree the interpretation by Brawn is correct and all go and build similar diffusers asap.
The important thing is they remain united and don't allow Max & Bernie to split them up over technical issues.
Absolutely spot on. Unfortunately this means that the management of a few teams would have to put the good of the sport and their own long term gain ahead of a short term advantage in the championship. Doesn't sound likely does it?

Last edited by fourWheelDrift; 24 Mar 2009 at 19:48. Reason: correct spolling mismakes
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2423875)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What they should do is all agree the interpretation by Brawn is correct and all go and build similar diffusers asap.
What I don't understand is that three teams (not just one) managed to read the regulations differently ?

It's definitely coming to a head.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=37288
Old 24 Mar 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2423895)   #46
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
What I don't understand is that three teams (not just one) managed to read the regulations differently ?

It's definitely coming to a head.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=37288
Erm, that sounds appalling ..

Not only am I pretty ill (tonsillitis for the 4th time in 6 weeks.. still don't know what's causing it) at a bad time, but this has really put a downer on the weekend i've been looking forward to for a long time.

Selby
Old 24 Mar 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2423898)   #47
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
At this point I would not take any notice of it Selby, Get well soon mate!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2423907)   #48
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
haha Yeah, priorities and that, I s'pose...

Y'know when you're just looking forward to something so much that even silly things don't bother you, then it gets altered and altered and then to the point where you can't ignore it anymore! It's just a big old shame. It makes me feel silly when I plug F1 to friends, family, and work mates etc. I know that's not my fault by any stretch of the imagination but it's just a let down, isn't it.

Thanks for the kind words, though I'm seeing an EMT tomorrow who'll hopefully shed some light and get me on the mend.. It's very tiring.

Selby
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2424004)   #49
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How does the FIA manage to always get itself into these situations...?

Two teams go and ask about a particular design of technology and are given a "negative" response - only for three teams to turn up to the first race with precisely that technology...!?!?

Is it just me or does that not sound a bit ridiculous?
Old 25 Mar 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2424118)   #50
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA does not need to worry about saving the sport at all. At this rate people will just stop watching. I will likely join that camp of people. This is really old.