Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Jul 2004, 04:39 (Ref:1031927)   #26
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys didn't like Driven???? I thought it was HILARIOUS!.... What's that? It wasn't a comedy? They seriously thought cars shot hundreds of feet into the air in a collision?
Old 10 Jul 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1031986)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just like GPL......
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1033973)   #28
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

It was also the first thing I ever taped off the TV when I got a VCR, so my copy of Grand Prix actually dates back to about 1985...... still plays OK as well....
Mine was "Bullitt" for the car chase. Doesn't play very well anymore...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1033982)   #29
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega99
You guys didn't like Driven???? I thought it was HILARIOUS!.... What's that? It wasn't a comedy? They seriously thought cars shot hundreds of feet into the air in a collision?
I thought it was excellent, especialy the chase through the streets of Las Vegas or wherever. Very real life and believable stuff, why do some of you knock such a classic.
Sly at his best.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1034279)   #30
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix and Le Mans are brilliant. Driven although better named "Drivel" was the biggest pile of ****!
Old 12 Jul 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1034493)   #31
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since I saw Grand Prix in the Cinerama in Providence back in 1967, I have been hhoked. I just sat through it again for the umpteenth time showing it to my son whose response "THATWASTHEBESTTOTTALYAWESOMEMOVIEEVER!!!!!" was similar to my own.

I love Le Mans, the racing footage is phenomenal-and i just got the DVD-When will Grand Prix be released on DVD, I cannot stand waiting!

I deliberately avoided "Drivel" but caught it recently while flipping around the dial. It wasn't as bad as I feared.

It was worse. Feh.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1034672)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Since I saw Grand Prix in the Cinerama in Providence back in 1967, I have been hhoked. I just sat through it again for the umpteenth time showing it to my son whose response "THATWASTHEBESTTOTTALYAWESOMEMOVIEEVER!!!!!" was similar to my own.

Marvellous

How old is your son? Gives you a real buzz doesn't it when you get that sort of reaction. When my stepson was 2 years old or thereabouts, he used to insist on my playing over and over again the part of the Duke video of Le Mans 1987 when the works 4WD Porsche 961 goes off at Indianapolis and eventually catches fire......

(I must get that out and watch it again - perhaps he'll watch it with me - even though he's now 19..... )
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1035346)   #33
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anyone is interested Channel 5 here in the UK are showing Driven on Thursday night at 8pm.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1035400)   #34
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
If anyone is interested Channel 5 here in the UK are showing Driven on Thursday night at 8pm.
I've heard that the "Watching Paint Dry world championships" are on at the same time!!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1035472)   #35
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans stands head and shoulders over any other racing film, because Steve McQueen had the racer mentality. And there's no cheesy plot to get in the way of the action

Grand Prix looks and sounds beautiful, except as soon as you find out about the FJuniors you start to spot them all the bloody time! Off-track it's deadly slow though...

I have not yet seen Driven, I'm reliably informed how daft it is and look forward to having a giggle at it this week.

If you like the American sports car racing scene and film noir, the John Cassavetes film The Killers is bloody impressive.

Un Homme Et Une Femme has some great car scenes, but it's a piece of dross as a film.

Red Line 7000 is not vintage Howard Hawks, but some of the NASCAR bits are OK. James Caan was clearly practising for his, er, "detached" performance a few years later in Rollerball

Do the Herbie movies count? ;p

Oh and for fans of tacky British movies, there's always The Green Helmet - with Sid James!!! - it's on TCM sometime soon!
Old 14 Jul 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1036249)   #36
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Marvellous

How old is your son? Gives you a real buzz doesn't it when you get that sort of reaction. When my stepson was 2 years old or thereabouts, he used to insist on my playing over and over again the part of the Duke video of Le Mans 1987 when the works 4WD Porsche 961 goes off at Indianapolis and eventually catches fire.....
He's 11. He's watched racing with me since he was knee-high, but never sat through an entire race. I've taken him to a few tracks and he's enjoyed it but this was the first time he was really focused on the footage. He also said that "If Formula One was really like back then, Dad, then I understand why you like it."

He was a dedicated wearer of Schumacher kit until last season; even he's bored with the red juggernaut.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1036673)   #37
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Fenelon
Oh and for fans of tacky British movies, there's always The Green Helmet - with Sid James!!! - it's on TCM sometime soon!
I saw it (again) a few years back when Spedvision (as it was known befor NA$CAR) had it as part of their Saturday Night "Drive-in" rotation. Life was simple then.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1037633)   #38
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just watch the second half of Drivel on Channel 5 just to remind me of how bad it is. I wasn't disappointed.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1037638)   #39
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the first 20 mins then had to pop out, but I was back in time to see the last 20 mins, what a fantastic film.

NOT............
Old 16 Jul 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1037888)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I watched precisely 5 minutes which I presume was towards the end with Sly apparently able to keep up in 3rd place with his wheel and suspension completely stuffed....... I am soooo glad I didn't watch any more. I turned over for the excitem,ent of price-drop tv instead.......
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1037972)   #41
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only caught the end of the film. And even then only with the sound down.

Where was the 'German Grand Prix' supposed to be?
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1037981)   #42
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Detroit I think...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1037987)   #43
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
I've heard that the "Watching Paint Dry world championships" are on at the same time!!
I wish I'd watched it. I'd heard Driven was bad but I didn't expect it to be that bad. You steal a racing car, drive it on public roads at speed's of up to 195mph causing crashes and mayhem and all you get is a fine?
You'd be banged up faster than you could say "I'm Ben Dover your new cell mate, would you mind picking up the soap off the floor there?"
Old 17 Jul 2004, 23:15 (Ref:1039318)   #44
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is, for us Champ Car lovers, it's a shame that Driven was so bad. They could have made a hell of a lot of good for CART at the time. Not...

Grand Prix... ah, that's class. And 4 hours of it!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1039332)   #45
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
The thing is, for us Champ Car lovers, it's a shame that Driven was so bad. They could have made a hell of a lot of good for CART at the time. Not...
Grand Prix... ah, that's class. And 4 hours of it!
That's why Fed-x `bailed' and did not support the flick. It would have been a tremendous advertising boost. I am sure Paul Paige had to bite his tongue every time he had to say "the Championship" during the voice-overs.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1044462)   #46
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le mans and Grand Prix are fantastic films (for racing fans obviously). Driven is shocking, and gets worse with every watch.

Days of thunder was OK, but more of a "fun" film than anything else.

Another good one, although stictly speaking isn't a film, was "the Speed Merchants" - the acompanying film to the book of the same name, a documentary/film about '73 season - kind of "on and Sunday" for cars! Shouws some great period shops, and tracks the lives of the drivers thoughout the season.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 23:30 (Ref:1890080)   #47
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you watch this as a comedy, it is entertaining. Saw it again tonight. I couldn't help myself. My dad wanted to see why Bernie put the brakes on this being an F1 film. One assumes he did. Correct?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1890109)   #48
Fig Jam
Rookie

Fig Jam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't stand that NASCAR one with that little short bloke who was married to Nicole Kidman

Hate the Fast and Furious rubbish as well
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1890516)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
If you watch this as a comedy, it is entertaining. Saw it again tonight. I couldn't help myself. My dad wanted to see why Bernie put the brakes on this being an F1 film. One assumes he did. Correct?
Yes, and thank god he did!

Driven is superbly funny though, a sort of exhibition of blind naivety and cinematic license.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1890522)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam
.....that little short bloke who was married to Nicole Kidman

Man, that has to be my quote of the week..... love it!