Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Dec 2001, 08:15 (Ref:188644)   #26
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a friend that likes him - I only like him because he is British - sadly nothing else.
Old 22 Dec 2001, 09:40 (Ref:188655)   #27
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*is drooling over Jenson pics on Girls F1*
Old 22 Dec 2001, 10:28 (Ref:188659)   #28
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
RG, it doesn't always follow that you have to do F3000 to get to F1.
I understand that, but I find it very disappointing that a driver as good as Wilson (who scored more points than Montoya did when he won the F3000 championship) is being overlooked in favour of drivers from a lower formula.
Old 22 Dec 2001, 10:32 (Ref:188660)   #29
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
*has now found Jenson pics on famousmales.com*
Old 22 Dec 2001, 11:40 (Ref:188678)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Steph, it is sad when a good talent gets overlooked, I agree. Lets keep fingers crossed that he finds a decent drive pretty soon. Sadly industry in this country seems to ignore talent, maybe it's because there are so many people from all fors of sport seeking sponsorship, so they have to be more selective in who they give their patronage to?
Old 22 Dec 2001, 14:14 (Ref:188719)   #31
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if we take a look at some of the drivers that comprise F1 at this time, we'll find quite a few who are somewhat lacking in results in the lower formulae, yet still managed to find a way to the F1 grid. We can start with Bernoldi, who really was no great shakes in F3000, and then there is Enge, who probably has Prost slathering over the possibility of Coke money. Then we have our friends at Minardi, Yoong who has a whole country sponsoring him, good deal that, and what of Alonso? He got a good look after an excellent drive at Spa, but with a low-budget team like Minardi, you know it was his sponsors money that sealed the deal.
And yet Button who earned a ride with a team and was actually drawing a salary is slagged off as being some sort of hack. I agree that both Wilson and Webber both deserve a fair crack at the whip but in todays F1 unless they bring some cash to the table or impress the big teams enough they are going to be left out in the cold.
As for Webber outpacing Button in testing, being an excellent driver he should on occasion, but we also should remember that it is testing. If I remember even Prost were quick in testing, but when push came to shove they really weren't that quick after all.
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:59 (Ref:188752)   #32
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, we seem to forget that testing is poles apart from racing. The same can be said for qualifying with those special engines. We tend to read too much into the different times set by different drivers, forgetting that they are not necessarily driving the same chassis or power plant!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 15:57 (Ref:190454)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
anyone who saw jenson win the formula ford festival at brands in 1998 will know why he's gonna be a superstar!!!

were you there that day, stephen green??
Old 28 Dec 2001, 18:21 (Ref:190510)   #34
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Indeed I was, marshalling at Druids Hairpin for the whole weekend. I'm a Button fan and not afraid to admit it!

ps; please feel free to call me Stephen, Stephen Green sounds a little formal don't you think?
Old 28 Dec 2001, 20:24 (Ref:190562)   #35
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is treated harshly - and the Benetton was hardly a Ferrari now was it?! Fisichella blatantly had the better car. Look at how Wurz was treated - they did exactly the same to Jenson.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 23:03 (Ref:190728)   #36
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I detest Button to the extreme. The sooner he is out of F1, the better.
Yet another predictable English bashing quote from the embittered Aussie. Still smarting over that last defeat at the hands of England in rugby union?

Button admittedly is an arrogant little so and so, but without blatant no.2 status at Benetton meted out by the biased and political Briatore, he would have been far closer to Fisi, if not faster.

Button will be back in a Williams in my opinion, and will be very quick, just as he was before. There are many naive, ill informed and frankly misled Button bashers out there. It shows an ignorance of the true way the sport works, ie if your team principal wants you out to get one of his own managed rivers in (the overrated Alonso), then that team owner will make sure you don't perform well, which is what happened last season.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 00:28 (Ref:190764)   #37
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Or perhaps they're bitter Aussies because Jenson is sitting in Webber's seat...

Alonso? OVER-RATED?!?!?!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 29 Dec 2001 at 00:29.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 10:09 (Ref:190849)   #38
Neal.M
Rookie

Neal.M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To get the williams seat to begin with was an achievement then to impress like he did as a rookie speak for itself, this season has not been as good the young star has been Kimi. But I would like to think as a Brit he will fight back and we will see better things next season.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 14:39 (Ref:191036)   #39
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Or perhaps they're bitter Aussies because Jenson is sitting in Webber's seat...

Alonso? OVER-RATED?!?!?!

But isn't it incredible how many people seem to think that Webber has a God given right to be in F1? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure in a Williams he would qualify for each race, but lets face it, it would be in the back third of the field, and he would never challenge his team mate in the way Button did RS in his rookie year. Considering he hasn't even won in F3000 after countless attempts I hardly consider him worthy top team F1 material. Perhaps a seat for a year or two at Minardi or Prost will suffice to kep all his fans quiet.

As for Alonso, yes, I do think he is overrated. He has been more hyped than JPM this last year IMO, but at least JPM both earned and deserved the hype.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 10:28 (Ref:191399)   #40
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono
As for Alonso, yes, I do think he is overrated. He has been more hyped than JPM this last year IMO, but at least JPM both earned and deserved the hype.

OMG! How can u say that!?

Alonso hardly had any hype in the F1 world. He was rarely mentioned on TV or in magazines (except in Spain) and he has performed fantasically in a car that even its designer admitted was a total botch.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 12:37 (Ref:191434)   #41
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah he should take Benetton seat for Button Alonso is better than him sadly but Brits supoort him because he got the drive young and has a funny EEnglish name and cos he is british.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 13:39 (Ref:191448)   #42
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Quote:

but at least JPM both earned and deserved the hype.

I think we'll just stick to agreeing about Webber...
Old 30 Dec 2001, 16:33 (Ref:191522)   #43
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is a future world champion.

Montoya is just a lazy bum.

Last edited by Speedworx; 30 Dec 2001 at 16:33.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 22:37 (Ref:191723)   #44
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

Baoer fan, sorry but Alonso has been talked about ad NAUSEUM since he arrived on the scene. I don't think there has ever been as much hype about a driver who has achieved relatively little in his career to date.

The world of motor racing is full of drivers who show a flicker of promise in an inferior car with a poor team mate and Alonso is no different to any of them

My point about JPM is that as a rookie he out performed a very illustrious teammate whilst learning the car, the ciruits and hoe to work with his new team merely two years after he won the CART championship as a rookie, and one year after he won the Indy 500 as a rookie too....and four years after he outpaced JV and (here's another overrated washed up loser) HHF as a rookie tester for Williams. Believe me, he is the most talented driver to emerge since Senna and the hype has only just started......but it will all be earned on merit, as it all has been so far if you have ever followed his career.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 12:14 (Ref:191885)   #45
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Badoer fan, sorry but Alonso has been talked about ad NAUSEUM since he arrived on the scene. I don't think there has ever been as much hype about a driver who has achieved relatively little in his career to date.
To be honest, I've heard very little about him on TV or anything, as I said, the only place with hype is here (and that' cos of me, MF and bella). And Alonso's not exactly an underachiever! He won the Formula Nissan championship (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) in 1999. He then drove for Astromega in F3000, and scored 17pts, winning by miiiiiiiles at Spa, and it would have been many more allowing for reliability.

Quote:
The world of motor racing is full of drivers who show a flicker of promise in an inferior car with a poor team mate and Alonso is no different to any of them.
Marques. Is. Not. Poor.

Quote:
My point about JPM is that as a rookie he out performed a very illustrious teammate
debateably

Don't get me wrong, I believe Montoya is very good, but I feel there has been much more hype for him than Alonso, and Alonso has performed better
Old 31 Dec 2001, 12:20 (Ref:191887)   #46
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
the only place with hype is here (and that' cos of me, MF and bella).
*cough*

Quote:
Originally posted by badoer fan
Marques. Is. Not. Poor.
*coughing to hold back hysterical laughter*
Old 31 Dec 2001, 12:31 (Ref:191894)   #47
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I believe Montoya is very good, but I feel there has been much more hype for him than Alonso, and Alonso has performed better
HOW DID ALONSO PERFORM BETTER THAN JPM???? This for me is a mystery. Please tell us all badoer fan..
Old 31 Dec 2001, 13:33 (Ref:191910)   #48
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Does Button have any fans ???"

By reading all the thread, I think... yes, he has "Closet fans".
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:39 (Ref:191991)   #49
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
HOW DID ALONSO PERFORM BETTER THAN JPM???? This for me is a mystery. Please tell us all badoer fan..
For the machinery he had, he performed better

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
"Does Button have any fans ???"

By reading all the thread, I think... yes, he has "Closet fans".
Well, I'm not in the closet (except with family) so ner
Old 31 Dec 2001, 16:37 (Ref:192012)   #50
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Badoer fan isn't the only one who thinks that. I rate Alonso as the top rookie in 2001, because for what he had to contend with (an unreliable and slow car that was built 6 weeks before the start of the season with a 3 year old engine stuck in the back of it) he had some outstanding drives. Look at his qualifying performances - he was frequently off the back row, which sounds bad but not for a 19-year-old driving what was easily the slowest car. People didn't think Minardi would qualify for the Australian GP, but Alonso drove the wheels off it and got it into 19th. Then there's the Japanese GP, which I rank as one of the best drives of the season (out of everybody) - because for somebody in a bad car in his first season, what he achieved was remarkable. And JPM may be good, but I don't think he could do what Alonso did.