Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1004974)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look at it this way......who in the number two Jaguar seat has really excelled since the team started?

Everyone in that seat has failed......including mega-talents such as Justin Wilson and Antonio Pizzonia.

I don't think Klien has done any worse than his predecessors.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1005076)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klein will be sticking around as long as those red bull checks don't bounce.

I'd agree some drivers are ending up in F1 far too early, but then again F1 is all about hype, image and money. A good example is kimi. He's impressed us by driving though smoke at 200 mph days of thunder style, won a grand prix and put in some fast laps, but he hasn't set the world on fire.

Klein has strong backing, so he will have the opportunity to learn unlike wilson, pizzy, burti, etc.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1005099)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi's not set the world on fire?

His Mercedes engines have tried all too regularly though.

I think you're a bit harsh on him.

As for Klien - yes, Red Bull helped him into the drive, but he does have a lot of ability.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1005380)   #29
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
He finished better than Mark on Sunday.
I seem to remember he had something to do with that at turn 2 lap 1

Give the kid credit he has been thrown in at the deep end and told to swim.OK hes dog paddling at the moment but he will get better.You have to admit he is one of the better pay drivers going around.

The Grumpy1
Old 16 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1005829)   #30
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
I seem to remember he had something to do with that at turn 2 lap 1

Give the kid credit he has been thrown in at the deep end and told to swim.OK hes dog paddling at the moment but he will get better.You have to admit he is one of the better pay drivers going around.

The Grumpy1
Qualifying four places ahead gave him a good cahnce in teh first place, and it's not the first time. Christian tends to make betetr starts than Mark as well.

Klien's certainly doing better than Pizzonia was at the same point last season, and with less overall experience.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1005845)   #31
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have Klien marked as a future star. I might be wrong. In fact I usually am. But the kid looks promising to me, and I think he has the right mental approach not to let 'stuff' swamp him - arguably better drivers have been thrown in at the deep end (to use Grumpy's terminology) and failed because they couldn't cope mentally, not because they weren't technically good enough.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1006119)   #32
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Go the Klienster ,he overtakes,he races........what more do you want?

Anyone find the diamond yet?.....
Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1006122)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole diamond thing was a PR story, as far as I know.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1006134)   #34
Gloudiesaurus
Rookie

Gloudiesaurus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no it was a realy diamond... They planned to sell the diamond after the race (for charity).
Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1006138)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Hmm.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1006194)   #36
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Klien has not be spectacular but atleast he has beaten Mark on a couple of occasions something that Wilson and Pizzonia couldnt do
Old 16 Jun 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1006291)   #37
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the interest by Red Bull in funding a team he is safe where he is.Although denied at the time I belive that the bosses at Ford are open to a colaboration (not spelt right )with Red Bull if it helps pull there names from the mud.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 16 Jun 2004 at 21:17.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1006803)   #38
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The fact of the matter is is that Klien has been the best of rather a poor selection of rookies this year. He has shown that he can be racy at times and so far, he has been the best Jag no.2 yet (probably next to de la Rosa/Herbert). He will keep his seat, and move to team leader status in 2005 with Wirdheim.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1006814)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't think Jag will go with two relatively inexperienced drivers next year.

I expect Klien to stay, but they'll want a team leader to drive things forward.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1006826)   #40
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I don't think Jag will go with two relatively inexperienced drivers next year.

I expect Klien to stay, but they'll want a team leader to drive things forward.
Sometimes having 2 young chargers can work - BAR are doing more with Button and Sato than with JV and Panis, and Sauber did well when Heidfeld and Raikkonen came in - fresh impetus, new enthusiasm, and the chance of unearthing a future superstar. It's a risk, but at least Bjorn will have a year's experience of the car by then.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1007177)   #41
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Klien is a future star, he has 'the balls' to race but he also knows when to back off and drive with his head instead of his balls. (Sato could learn from him.)
This is a typical thing that all great drivers have.
And he seems like a tough cookie to, he's got a strong personality I think.
And looking at the statistics, he's doing a good job, especially for a rookie.
Don't forget Webber is the Nr. 1 driver and he's already familiar with the team.
For example, the first circuit that was new to them both, was Bahrein and who put down the best lap time in quali?

Exactly.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1007178)   #42
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Klien has not be spectacular but atleast he has beaten Mark on a couple of occasions something that Wilson and Pizzonia couldnt do
NOT been spectaculair?

I think you skipped a few races, mate.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1007290)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, he's been quite on the ragged edge at times!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1007416)   #44
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the qualifying point is moot unless you know how much fuel each of them are carrying. For all we know the 2 times he has beaten Webber he has been carrying less fuel. Who knows ? IMO he has done a great job for his rookie year, although I was cursing him when he took Webber out last week.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1007433)   #45
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he'll be there long after "Gunna" Webber has gone to wherever he is going!!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1007875)   #46
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Jones
I think the qualifying point is moot unless you know how much fuel each of them are carrying. For all we know the 2 times he has beaten Webber he has been carrying less fuel. Who knows ? IMO he has done a great job for his rookie year, although I was cursing him when he took Webber out last week.
I think Jaguar have ran very similar amounts of fuel on both cars in just about every race, so the stats are accurate bette Mark and Christian. Considering that everyone saw Mark as a great qualifier (with a mediocre raceday car) last year, I'd say 6-2 to Mark isn't bad for Klien
Old 18 Jun 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1007989)   #47
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Maybe F1 needs a rule that says a driver must have done a year of F2 (F3000 after 04) before he can race an F1 car.

But then the greats like Senna, Prost, Piquet never did F2 anyway, they jumped from F3 to F1.
Cant agree with that!...F3000 is 20 seconds a lap slower than F1 at some circuits. F3 although no faster is far more technical and sophisticated in terms of aero and general set up.

Remember Kimi made a first class graduation to F1 and that was from FRenault!

What a lot people who only follow racing cars and not the drivers careers, is that the best drivers & racers where trained at a very early age in karting eg. Kimi, Button, Davidson, Wheldon...even the Schumachers are perfect examples...age has nothing to do with the graduate process to F1 , which the above ex-karters have proven can be learned in less than 10 laps anyway.

F3000 offers very little, other than learning F1 tracks...it's just a 'holding class' in my book.

If JAG need money rather than a fully trained driver then they deserve drivers like Klien who have to learn as they go along.

Last edited by Rennen; 18 Jun 2004 at 15:17.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1008365)   #48
markysjag
Rookie

Australia
hobart australia
markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't klein only out qualify webber once the other time was a penallty that shifted webber back behind klein even though his time was quicker?
Old 19 Jun 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1008556)   #49
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I was thinking of Bahrain actually - Klien 12th and Webber 14th? That'd make it 3 times in total.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1009060)   #50
markysjag
Rookie

Australia
hobart australia
markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh well not today, another one to Mark!