Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jul 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1022120)   #26
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I HATE STREET RACING!!!!!!!!! It is always the innocent person on their way to the late night shop thst gets hurt!!
Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1022245)   #27
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:confused:
Old 1 Jul 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1022508)   #28
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariFanatic
I want to know if there's a remote control track near Stoke, I'm building a 1 in 10 scale Impreza and am desperate to go racing!! Anyone ever marshalled R/C races? Sounds like it don't neec them but still...
Probably more relevant to Armchair Enthusiasts forum than marshals'... though the bloke sat next to me is less than impressed with the armchair bit...

Anyway, yes there's a r/c venue in Stoke. I'll PM you with details of a colleague of mine...
Old 6 Jul 2004, 06:36 (Ref:1027646)   #29
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How do they make these enduro things like Le Mans work, surely its dangerous to drive while your tired?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1027852)   #30
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Experience. And having three drivers per car helps. There is a time limit on the number of hours a driver can race in 24 hour races like Le Mans. Can't remember what it is though!

It's no coincidence that the average age of GT/endurance drivers is older than most other disciplines. Consistency, even when tired, and the ability to drive at 98% for three hours rather than 110% for a few laps is what matters.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1028530)   #31
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is also the adrenalin affect. At the BLMRA 12 hour race, we were up from 7:30am on Saturday and didn't get to bed until mid afternoon Sunday. I didn't ever feel tired until I started to drive home afterwards, which is when Red Bull came into its' own.
Endurance racing does play with you mind though, especially when you're about to go out for a stint at 3am. I found I had to dig a lot deeper to stay focussed.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 6 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1028590)   #32
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawn mower enduro is a pretty unique event to marshal on. Events commence with a marshalling team barbecue on the Friday night. We are also awake at the crack of dawn on the Saturday for a cracking cooked breakfast at a transport cafe just down the road and to get provisions. Next job is to equip the flag points and get signed on, followed by an hour of practise, an hour or two's rest or course redesigning, another hour of qualifying and then preparation for the big event. We attend the driver's briefing and roll call, then out on circuit for the 8pm Le Mans style parade and start. From then onwards, you spend as much time on circuit as you can before sleep beats you, ducking into the admin tent for a bite to eat. Time may involve rearranging the track whilst the competitors are led by a pace-quad! I actually lasted the whole event last year, and was just thinking about getting my head down for an hour after we were done when chaos ensued thanks to Penelope Pitstop!!! Think I finally got my head down around 10am, 27 hours after I got up, and my party made our way home around lunchtime - well at least to the M25 before the clutch gave out on the car and we had to be rescued!

Whilst very tiring, this is a great event to marshal - just can't decide if I prefer wet or dry conditions!
Old 6 Jul 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1028602)   #33
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unusual racing? None, people will race anything.

We used to hold an annual riding lawn mower event that was around a mini-road course in someone's repair garage. We ran two classes, stock (blade removed) and modified (two parts had to start life on a lawn mower). Crazy fun. We'd line the track with empty beer cans too. If you crushed one, a second was added to your time as in a gymkhana. There was even a water hazard with a shark fin.

We've also held minnow races (held in PVC pipe tubes) and bench races (down an iced-over slope). We've even raced gurneys. There's nothing a creative mind won't race.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1034222)   #34
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most unusual - caravan racing with the BARC at Thruxton in the mid-seventies. Only when one of the vans rolled did we realise that they had a full complement of cutlery etc.

Regards

Jim
Old 12 Jul 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1034711)   #35
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariFanatic
Do they have marshals in powerboat races? The thought just popped into my head...
Oh, yes they do.

http://www.worldseriesjetsprinting.com/

Look at the picture then keep saying "V8 Holden"

Sorry, I'm drooling again
Attached Thumbnails
jetsprint.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2004, 04:52 (Ref:1038788)   #36
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my neighborhood has a lot of steep hills which leads to much gravity style racing...aka cars rolling in nuetral from a dead stop...lawn mowers from stop and most famously rollerblades....we used to videotape rollerblade runs and its interesting to try and keep up with someone on rollerblades in a ski racers tuck going over 50 mph...organized...marshalled a drift comp which consisted of watching people waste perfectly good car parts on impressing judges
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1038915)   #37
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
I suppose milk floats could race. Might take a while but they wouldn't be going fast enogh to crash!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1039199)   #38
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson Button did a lap of Thruxton in one for Autosport christmas special a couple years ago. Seem to remember a time in the 9 minute bracket, or just outside qualifying for a 2CV race....

**runs away and hides**
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1047439)   #39
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Not technically a race, but at my local motorshow there was a tricycle built for twenty three people. So it was really unusual. Pictures hopefully soon.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1049814)   #40
P R Oban
Rookie

United Kingdom
P R Oban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bernie & Max could take over the running of this event when they retire!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3931731.stm