Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Nov 2007, 15:52 (Ref:2063113)   #26
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2nd place in this year Brit GT with Cocker... not un-competitive at all!!!!
Old 8 Nov 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2063123)   #27
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good He can drive, But come on guys dont you think he will get more PR for who he is in Government, and not as a driver??
Old 8 Nov 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2063127)   #28
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Right now it looks like the Aston GT2 is the most likely option.

I'd be very suprised if it was the DBR9 GT1.
Huh? His stated objective in all of this is to get to LeMans via the ALMS. Now please explain to me how going through GT-2 where PWL,Risi, Lizards,Tafel,Farn.-Loles,LGM are all at vs. Corvette in GT-1. If I were looking to acheive a life goal of racing my way to LeMans I think I would choose GT-1. He can still be very competitive yet better his chances of getting to the stage in order to be able to compete in the race. Simply by there being fewer teams vying for the auto-invites, and still honing his racecraft against the best in the world (Corvette Racing)!

L.P.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2063132)   #29
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Good He can drive, But come on guys dont you think he will get more PR for who he is in Government, and not as a driver??
I do believe he's gettin' off da porch!

L.P.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2063140)   #30
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Huh? His stated objective in all of this is to get to LeMans via the ALMS. Now please explain to me how going through GT-2 where PWL,Risi, Lizards,Tafel,Farn.-Loles,LGM are all at vs. Corvette in GT-1. If I were looking to acheive a life goal of racing my way to LeMans I think I would choose GT-1. He can still be very competitive yet better his chances of getting to the stage in order to be able to compete in the race. Simply by there being fewer teams vying for the auto-invites, and still honing his racecraft against the best in the world (Corvette Racing)!

L.P.
Its HUGELY expensive, and he's got to find a team and a second driver?
Old 8 Nov 2007, 16:45 (Ref:2063148)   #31
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he wanted to 'just' be a driver at Le Mans, then he would not have had a problem buying his seat in a car in any class, as many others have proved over the years.

This is more about doing it with a team I suspect and the bio angle is useful for funding and getting tech partners on board.

Companies like Ricardo who I am sure he would have dealt with in the M.O.D. being one example. His phone book will be full of people who are in a position to help out.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 17:03 (Ref:2063162)   #32
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Its HUGELY expensive, and he's got to find a team and a second driver?
Is it now? I thought it was relatively free!

He (Lord Drayson) gave a 100 Million pounds to the labor party a few years back (04' I believe), I truly believe that money is not an issue! He is negotiations with Barwell about future plans and I would think that maybe Cocker would join him since they already have an established relationship (teammates).

L.P.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 17:32 (Ref:2063178)   #33
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Is it now? I thought it was relatively free!

He (Lord Drayson) gave a 100 Million pounds to the labor party a few years back (04' I believe),
L.P.
You believe incorrectly - and by quite a substantial margin - depending on which source you decide to believe the total donation was either £600,000 or £1.1 million - I believe the former figure is the correct one
Old 8 Nov 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2063205)   #34
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
You believe incorrectly - and by quite a substantial margin - depending on which source you decide to believe the total donation was either £600,000 or £1.1 million - I believe the former figure is the correct one
You are right. My bad, as I went back to the article it did state 1 million.

L.P.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 18:05 (Ref:2063216)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
I read it as more getting expereince for Le Mans, rather than qualifying with an auto-invite.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2063245)   #36
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I read it as more getting expereince for Le Mans, rather than qualifying with an auto-invite.
Would not a season and a half be more experience as the auto-invite would be for the '09' LeMans race? While securing (hopefully) a place on the grid.

L.P.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 19:50 (Ref:2063293)   #37
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

L.P.
All somewhat logical thinking.

Of course, being the only team looking for a bid in an Aston GT2 car might also be looked upon favourably, as the ACO is known for building diverse grids...

I mean, how many other DBR9's might bid? Oh no, not just another DBR9??

Then again, racing is mostly a pretty illogical past time anyway, so applying logic to such an endeavour is likely to be a losing prospect.... So, I'll stick with GT2 Aston Vantage.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2063348)   #38
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund

I mean, how many other DBR9's might bid? Oh no, not just another DBR9??
Not just another: The worlds only Bio-fuel DBR9...
Old 8 Nov 2007, 21:27 (Ref:2063369)   #39
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the words of Graham Goodwin... There was an Aston Martin out testing not long ago... Not a DBR9... Not a DBRS9.... Not a N24... now what could it be!
Old 8 Nov 2007, 21:31 (Ref:2063372)   #40
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
In the words of Graham Goodwin... There was an Aston Martin out testing not long ago... Not a DBR9... Not a DBRS9.... Not a N24... now what could it be!
Perhaps someone looking for an a.vantage?
Old 8 Nov 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2063390)   #41
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V8 Vantage is actually my favourite Aston, shorter, smaller, IMHO much more "raceable" and even better looking than the already very good DB9...
Old 9 Nov 2007, 03:16 (Ref:2063472)   #42
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Well, to touch on that though, it is possible that some of the principles did come from France, even if the revolution itself came later. I'm quite certain that Dr. Franklin's stances on a number of issues were shaped by his experiences in France.

Anyway, it looks like the new entry has been confirmed on the ALMS site, though the car is not specified. The one clue is that it is supposed to use some sort of bio-fuel.
By the way (for whoever said so), I didn't switch anything. Someone gave us a "history lesson." Besides, the title of this thread is "What is more important than politics?" I'll suggest it's not endurance racing.

Now we have another history lesson - that Franklin's time in Paris "shaped his thinking..." Oh, good. Franklin was arrived in Paris in 1776 - again after Thomas Paine, Jefferson, Madision, Washington, and yes, Franklin himself, had already done no small amount of writing about "principles." And of course some fellow called Louis XVI (later to lose his head) was in charge. Not exactly a bastion of forward thinking. John Locke, whose thought undoubtedly did contribute, was English - and had been dead for over seventy years, of course.

Talk about "noobs" or whatever (someone else's post, sorry)...poke fun at dates and history if you like. I wouldn't care, but unfortunately I suspect you actually vote!

In regard to Lord Drayson, I think this is good news, and good luck to him. He's no spring chicken, but has established a creditable record (Goodwin thinks so, that's good enough for me). Contrary to all the speculation about his motives, I suggest he just wants to fulfill a dream while he still can. Just as he said. You know, some things are that...just as they seem, no deep dark conspiracies to promote a government.

Once again, good luck to him and to Aston Martin. I do believe that the ALMS is the perfect place to do what he wants to do - get truly prepared to be competitive at Le Mans with a newly developed car.

By the way, does anyone really think that driving a GT car - even in France - is more important than being Minister of Defense of the United Kingdom?

Last edited by TWK; 9 Nov 2007 at 03:23.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2063586)   #43
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Contrary to all the speculation about his motives, I suggest he just wants to fulfill a dream while he still can.

By the way, does anyone really think that driving a GT car - even in France - is more important than being Minister of Defense of the United Kingdom?
Spot on Tom - To quote what he said to me after his announcement - "I had to make a decision between politics and my motor racing and for the moment motor racing has won!"

I don't think he thinks it's more important than his ex day job - I think it's the fact that an opportunity has arisen that would fulfill his life's dream - I can't think of a single thing wrong with that, particularly as he has worked with the Gov't to ensure an orderly transition.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2063606)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Me neither. Good on him.

To him, at this moment, it is more important. Fine. Should we all be doing something more worthy than sat here discussing this (wonderfully) frivolous activity?
Old 9 Nov 2007, 10:02 (Ref:2063620)   #45
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Nah - It's my new day job!
Old 9 Nov 2007, 10:16 (Ref:2063632)   #46
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Perhaps someone looking for an a.vantage?
ooof! Thats the kind of bad joke you should be banned for

Old 4 Jan 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2099497)   #47
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barwell's car revealed

(sort of)

http://www.astonmartinracing.com/new...5-a45a06e1e730