Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1158484)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
So did I, f1manoz, and where was Rindt?
18th
Old 19 Nov 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1158490)   #27
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha! So he is!

Old 19 Nov 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1158503)   #28
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I think it is the fastest over one lap
Then Montoya should be first since he beat the fastest lap
ever recorded this year in first qualy at Monza!
Old 19 Nov 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1158514)   #29
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not meant to be a statistical rundown.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1158519)   #30
KRONOSJL
Rookie

KRONOSJL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are guys like MANSELL , BRAMBILLA , STUCK , PATRESE , who have made some "terrifics" laps ?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1158525)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it isn't just odd laps. Although the above four were 'fast'. However top 20 'fast'? Alos, Montoya, hi spole run in 2002 was impressive and he is fast, but again not top twenty (although I will concede a) yet.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1158542)   #32
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well at least this poll is inspiring some good debate, i think they may have left the classification of fastest open ended on purpose.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1158567)   #33
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It matters little, compiling these lists, for Zsolt Baumgartner is clearly the top dog.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1158573)   #34
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gilles...

Gilles Villeneuve personified speed like no one else. If anyone has ever watched him race on either television or live, you'll bare witness to this fact. He was what a true racing driver should be, and that is a driver with speed and a rage to win. During his racing days there was a quote that always stuck in my mind and it would turn out to be a quote that I'll never forget..."put Gilles Villeneuve in a Williams and he'll be going so fast that you won't know which way he's going." There was no one like Gilles.

There was another Autosport feature done a few years ago, and it determined which driver in racing history drove with the most fervor. If my memory serves me correctly, Gilles came out on top, and there didn't seem to be much arguement. I believe Nuvolari, Senna and Peterson placed high on that particular list of drivers.

I know one thing is for sure, and that is that Gilles was very, very fast indeed.

Tye
Old 19 Nov 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1158611)   #35
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Gil De Ferren? He holds the World Record for the fastest ever lap of a closed circuit at over 241mph average speed in qualifying for a CART race at Fontana. He IS the fastest racing driver on a closed circuit
Old 19 Nov 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1158614)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was "fever" not "fervour".

I never really did understand what Autosport's "fever" obsession was.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1158620)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

People seem to be missing the point quoting speed statistics - that is not the "fastest driver" - that's a combination of car, track and circumstance as much as anything.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1158713)   #38
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fervour

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
That was "fever" not "fervour".

I never really did understand what Autosport's "fever" obsession was.
You maybe right Kicking-back, however fervour would more than apply in this case.

What part of the article didn't/don't you get?

Tye

Last edited by Tye; 19 Nov 2004 at 22:03.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1158769)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I miss Forti.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 03:07 (Ref:1158941)   #40
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Jean-Pierre Jarier was always one of the fastest in my book,but hard to look past Jochen Rindt as the fastest,he was quick.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 03:46 (Ref:1158953)   #41
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Gilles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tye
I know one thing is for sure, and that is that Gilles was very, very fast indeed. Tye

Whether it was F1, Atlantic, snowmobiles (multiple world champion), or road cars, Gilles only knew one way to go. It was his mission to be the quickest at all times. What a lot of people don't realize is that he was also very mechanically inclined, good enough to rebuild an engine, or design and build a radical suspension system for his snowmobile.

One of a kind, for sure.

You could rightly make an argument for several of the drivers listed by others, and in a few more years, a couple of other names could be added.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1159071)   #42
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ayrton Senna for his raw pace > fastest driver I have ever seen, his encredible perfection durring qualifying and his stunning abiltity to be on the pace from when the lights went out.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1159073)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And also his sheir pace durring wet races.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1159097)   #44
Cee
Rookie

Cee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fastest driver that EVER drove on an GP-circuit is....

ANTONIO PIZZONIA

Last year, during the GP-weekend in Monza, Italy, he drove 370,1 kilometres per hour on the straight.

(according www.F1racing.nl)
Old 20 Nov 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1159098)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, from what I have seen of Gilles (a fair old bit, despite not seeing him live) I would tend to agree that he was fundamentally the fastest guy there has been.

He only ever backed off twice, both times with honour. Monza 1979, to follow home Jody Scheckter, when he could easily have passed him, and Imola 1982 where he was well and truly shafted by Pironi.

And this in essence is why we love racing: people like Gilles, hard chargers. There have been guys of a similar ilk, Nigel Mansell perhaps. And Ayrton Senna. They all desperately wanted to win and would never back off until that goal was achieved.

But whilst there have been quite similar drivers to gilles, he was one of a kind. We'll never see his like again.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1159283)   #46
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reuteman, quicker than Rindt? - nah!
Excuse me but I rated Villeneuve as brave rather than quick. I don't think he was the fastest by a long margin.

Last edited by gfm; 20 Nov 2004 at 16:59.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1159295)   #47
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me jimmy clark is the out and out fastest ever driver, so much natural talent it was scary, and he didn't even make it look like he was trying half the time.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1159381)   #48
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
We never see the like of any person again.

Categorisation is just a bit ****, in many ways IMHO. It matters in as much as to determine race orders, points and championship tables.

That'd be about it.

Every driver is a seperate being, that has to be considered as such; and, ultimately, we must all remember, these people are all just that - just one person, particularly talented, but just a normal person.

I dislike how many are portrayed to be like Gods or something, that bugs a bit.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 07:50 (Ref:1160493)   #49
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
Reuteman, quicker than Rindt? - nah!
Excuse me but I rated Villeneuve as brave rather than quick. I don't think he was the fastest by a long margin.
I am sorry but Gilles was both quick and brave. Ask any F1 driver who raced against him and they will tell you.

Also he was the fastest in the wet - remember the wet practice at Watkins Glen when he was ELEVEN seconds faster than his nearest rival.

On a list of the fastest drivers of all time he is rightfully at the top
Old 22 Nov 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1160603)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The article (pedantically) points out that the eleven seconds was an exaggeration. It was only 9.5s!

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Nov 2004 at 10:05.