Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2002, 13:39 (Ref:325866)   #26
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And certainly better than Jaguar!
Old 2 Jul 2002, 14:06 (Ref:325884)   #27
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Jordan want JB? NO
Old 2 Jul 2002, 16:00 (Ref:325925)   #28
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whys that then ?
Old 2 Jul 2002, 18:17 (Ref:326002)   #29
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You get the impression Button has next year all sorted out although in his last interview he was hedging his bets too much to say "Im at Renault next year", however key personel have suggested to Flavio that letting Button will be a mistake and others outside the team suggest he is bringing in two of his own drivers simply to line his own pocket.
I don't think Trulli is safe, great qualifyer but it counts for nothing if you can't race where as Button is the reverse.
Button will not go to Jaguar, theres nothing to be gained, Jordon is on the cards if they get a decent package but im sure Button has set is sights high and Toyota for me would be the best place for him.
Contrary to others I see nothing special in Alonso or Trulli.

So its either Toyota, Sauber, Renault or Jordan.

Guy
Old 2 Jul 2002, 19:24 (Ref:326053)   #30
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the hell would Flavio want 2 of his own drivers in the same team? FB gets a cut of his drivers' salary - 1 driver has to beat the other in a team, logically - so when it comes to moving on, one driver is going to be seriously devalued.

I can seriously see JV being shipped off to Renault. JV, JB and McNish are the keys to the whole silly season...

JV doesn't want to stay at BAR - Dave Richards has said that if JV wants so much money to drive for the team, then there's no money left for R&D. Easy decision, then.

JB - someone has to make way for JV - it won't be Trulli - he's a Briatore baby. With Webber at Jag, and Alonso at BAR, he has his babies sorted out.

Eddie Irvine retires, PDLR is sacked, and JB moves to Jaguar. Young guns, perfect to get the team going under the new boss.

With Webber at Jag, Minardi get their Cosworths and another top young driver.

McNish and Salo are likely to be shoved out the window - at least one of them, anyway. Likely McNish. Who's a shoe-in? They need a name. A Frentzen, perhaps. A Wurz, at a stretch - I'd like to see him driving again.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 19:37 (Ref:326060)   #31
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I suspect Flav has already committed the second seat to Fernando for next year. I know Bunsen was really hedging his bets during his latest interview. Didn't sound that confident at all.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Valve, it has been mentioned on another thread about the possibility of Jacques in Jensons seat (BAT threat to quit F1). Is it possible that Flav has promised Fernando a seat, just not neccessarily at Renault? Did he have the authority of his bosses at Renault to guarantee him a seat in '03? Or did he make this promise as part of a personal services type contract? I think when it comes down to it, they will have who they want, money is not really an issue at Renault.
I'm sure they would prefer JV to Fernando.

It certainly appears as though Jens is being squeezed. Too bad, as I think he has outperformed Jarno this year.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 20:38 (Ref:326098)   #32
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its no wonder MS has no competition. Drivers are swapped as often as socks.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 20:51 (Ref:326113)   #33
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont know about everyone else...but there is a certain attraction for me in seeing Jacques in a Renualt car next year . The more i think about it , the more i like it .

Normally , i like to see the younger drivers coming through get their chance against the old hat drivers who are just there because they like the F1 circus , but with Jacques , well he is like a youngster still in many ways with the aggressison in his driving . I like that alot , so it may be interesting to see if he can still cut it at the front end of the grid .
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:26 (Ref:326140)   #34
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, since Jacques is a little over 2 years younger than MS, I believe he is probably at the top of his game, and given a competitive car, such as the Renault, he could gain podiums again. He has said in interviews that he is a much better driver now than in '97, I have no reason to doubt him.
If a Renault driver had to go, it should be Jarno, based on results...
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:39 (Ref:326149)   #35
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
My prefered choice would now be :

Jenson ---Williams

Jacques --- Renualt

Ralf --- Sauber

DC --- Toyota

Hiedfeld --- Mclaren

I would like to see Jacques mix it with the young ones , that would be good to see .
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:59 (Ref:326166)   #36
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Even a Jordan I did not like JT too much. He has pace, especially in qualifying. However a good driver like JB has shown he is not that special. Also oil seems to have a tendency to jump out at him. I feel Button will be at Renault next year. It would be stupid to get rid of either of the drivers. Right now the team is at a pivotal point. I think any drastic change can set them back a season. I remember reading last year the Renault wanted to be a contender in 2003. Sometimes change is bad.
Anyway the only seat I see JB wanting besides the one he has currently is RS's.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 22:10 (Ref:326182)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I've never rated Trulli much, and Fisi's certainly the better driver, i also think that Jensons better than Alonso, but IMO, Flav's more interested in the money side and placing his contracted drivers that whats best for the team!
Old 2 Jul 2002, 22:29 (Ref:326200)   #38
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good point , unlike a great team owner like Frank Williams who is out only to win with his team , Flavio has his fingers in to many pies and it sometimes gets confusing where his priories lye.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 22:47 (Ref:326213)   #39
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio's only priority _is_ Flavio.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 22:54 (Ref:326215)   #40
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have to admit that promises of drives by Flavio, should be treated with the same caution as promises by Walkinshaw -not to mention Eddie Jordan. I think that there will be great upheavel at many of the lower order teams, and I can see only the three top teams being stable. Everyone else will start scampering as soon as the music starts after Silverstone. There could be retirements, and much shuffling. There are just too many good drivers around these days, and quite a few are merely test drivers, when they could actually qualify in the top ten in any of the top four teams.
Yes, I agree that Jacques in the Renault would be a great move - he would be a regular visitor to the podium and he will win a few races as well.

Old 3 Jul 2002, 01:09 (Ref:326254)   #41
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps, if Jacques scores a point at Silverstone, Renault's executives might blink. Perhaps not... I'm worried if he doesn't get a good ride next year, it'll never come. JV and Renault are a perfect match, a fast French car, a determined French team, and a skilled and fiercely competitive French-Canadian driver.

He'll really need to pick up the pace and get lots of camera time passing other drivers, like he did at Austria. A few more performances like that will do wonders to restore faith in his abilities.

Perhaps we should start a petition to Renault's Board of Directors?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 Jul 2002 at 01:11.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 04:57 (Ref:326295)   #42
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Perhaps, if Jacques scores a point at Silverstone, Renault's executives might blink. Perhaps not... I'm worried if he doesn't get a good ride next year, it'll never come. JV and Renault are a perfect match, a fast French car, a determined French team, and a skilled and fiercely competitive French-Canadian driver.

He'll really need to pick up the pace and get lots of camera time passing other drivers, like he did at Austria. A few more performances like that will do wonders to restore faith in his abilities.

Perhaps we should start a petition to Renault's Board of Directors?
d'accord

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 3 Jul 2002 at 04:58.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 09:04 (Ref:326343)   #43
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
There are just too many good drivers around these days, and quite a few are merely test drivers,
talking of test drivers , a few years ago Alex Wurz looked like he was going to be going places , he pulled off some good moves on drivers like Frentzen and TGF and was widely talked about as someone for the future . With drivers like him sitting on the sidelines and people like Kimi, Massa ( and even Sato IMO ) coming into F1 , there is no where near enough seats to go round .
Surely another year of testing for Wurz will kill any chance he had of staying in F1 as a top team driver. I wonder if he will stay testing next year , as i havent heard his name connected with any drives .
Old 3 Jul 2002, 16:46 (Ref:326571)   #44
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
It is sad that the drivers skill has little to do with the seat that he gets. There is too much politics and too little common sense in F1. If a driver has good sponsors and a lot of money he can drive wherever he wants. If he has talent and poor management he has to race in NASCAR. If they drop either of their drivers Renault will regret it.
There is little place in F1 for JV anymore. If BAR comes good he will again be a top driver. If not, look for him in the ALMS.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 18:32 (Ref:326653)   #45
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no way JV is going to Renault or any other team, he gambled with BAR and lost, no sympathy.

Guy