Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 Mar 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2143563)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never like watching the same bloke win all the time and have it too easy.

I never felt like that about Mick or Rainey, coz they oozed class and had that level of superiority a true champion had.

To me Foggy often had a bike advantage and he made it work for him. Same as Stoner.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2143697)   #27
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm somewhat disappointed with Haga's start to the season so far. I thought this year would be it for him but after 2 rounds, there is only a handful of points on the board. Have the Yamahas still not resolved their up and down form when it comes to tyres? I think they had trouble last season with looking after their tyres and a year later it seems the problems are still there. To be fair, both riders have had all sorts of race incidents which hasn't helped matters but the team must have expected more.

I can't help feeling we could have been in for a pretty intense battle had Max not had his 'moments' in both races.

I remember hearing somewhere (may have been the TV commentary) that the Ducatis are actually 1197cc or something similar and that the 1098 is just a model name. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The supersport races are proving fairly entertaining too. I actually make an effort to watch them now.

With regards to the advantage the Ducatis have or may not have, I think its still fairly even. They seem to have a bit of an advantage on corner exit but I don't think it is such that, everyone else should start making excuses - yet. I feel the Bayliss factor is worth considering when it comes to how fast the bike really is.

Who tunes the Suzuki engines by the way? I want one!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2143711)   #28
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa
I remember hearing somewhere (may have been the TV commentary) that the Ducatis are actually 1197cc or something similar and that the 1098 is just a model name. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Yep, the regular 1098 and 1098S that you can buy off the show room floor are only about 1098cc. The 1098R is just shy of the 1200cc limit.

Last edited by jhansen; 4 Mar 2008 at 00:21.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2143714)   #29
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Well 2 rounds in and it certainly does appear that the Ducati's have a signifcant performance advantage over the rest. Fingers crossed that they will be pegged back sooner rather than later otherwise this championship is going to be over pretty quickly.
I don't think I can agree with that. The Ducati does look good, but it's not head and shoulders better. The performance of Smrz and Lanzi over time will tell us how good the 1098R is. Although, this bike will only get better.

So what about the rest? Yamaha have had two odd races. I seem to recall them having tire issues at both of these races last year. So fingers crossed that their form will improve. With respect to Alstare Suzuki, they have the quickest bike in a straight line, but I don't think their rider trio will get the most out of that bike. Ten Kate are still getting to grips with what is a very new bike. It has had far less development than the 1098R. More to come here. Wont mention Kawi, as I don't see them as a threat. Even though that bike should be quick.

So what am I getting at? I think circumstances have fallen right into Ducati's hands. Yamaha were the best placed to give them a headache. With Biaggi falling twice at The Island Baylis now has a defacto large lead.

Think that about sums it up. Of course, Ducati bikes could win the next six races and prove me wrong.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2143903)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Alstare bikes are tuned in house by the team, they dont use factory engines or anything , but obviously have acces to the Suzuki kit, unlike AMA who use Yosh bits.

Ducati is a 1197cc becuae the series is run by Italians and Ducati have the biggest supporter of the series since it began in 1988, simple as that.

I think the bike has a torque advantage and has just caught up on top speed. THe 999 was never that slow but couldnt be developed any more. This bike is brand new and already a class above in terms of speed and tyre life.

Biagg, Fabrizio and Bayliss without problems would ahve locked out the podium at PI they were the quickest despite the 4 cylinder bikes having only one advantage, at the end of teh start straight. Everywhere else the Duke was quicker
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2144096)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Ducati's will stretch their legs and gain a big advantage. I think it has been quite deceptive thus far.

Once the riders get to grips with it as Bayliss has we are in for a long year.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2144283)   #32
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I think the Ducati's will stretch their legs and gain a big advantage. I think it has been quite deceptive thus far.

Once the riders get to grips with it as Bayliss has we are in for a long year.
Thank you for that thorough analysis.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2144292)   #33
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh, come on JH! He can't help it (he's a F1 forum thingy, what do you expect?) At least he's trying, you've gotta give him credit for that.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2144403)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well what more was I supposed to say?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2144410)   #35
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well since Schummy is not around, some cracking good stats would have been nice.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2144426)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

OK, here's a stat for y'all:

Four races run.

Three won at a canter by a 1098.

Old 5 Mar 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2144960)   #37
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
OK, here's a stat for y'all:

Four races run.

Three won at a canter by a 1098.

The four WSBK races we've seen so far were all great. Philip Island I enjoyed immensly. Bayliss didn't have a fight, but it wasn't like he was a lot faster than the rest.
The worst race so far has been the second in Qatar and even that was good. If we have a race like that in motogp this year we'll probably say, that was a great race!
Old 5 Mar 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2144994)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I enjoyed the races, do not get me wrong. And we will continue to have good races.

But at the end of the day, there is no justification for 1200cc V-Twins.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2145208)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well there nothing you can do about an Italian championship that are paying an Italian rider to be in their series, and also helping an Italian tyre maker take over, who are also wanting to keep their biggest asset, Ducati happy by allowing them to make their bike bigger. 1100cc was more than enough really, just imagine what its like when its developed

I hope for the series sake that the likes of Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha dont tell Flammini to stuff it

Whats happened to BMW, KTM etc?
Old 5 Mar 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2145213)   #40
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Whats happened to BMW, KTM etc?
2009, or so they say. Aprilia as well. We shall see.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2145409)   #41
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
According to Dutch journalists (who are for 95% rubbish) BMW have publicly said they will be in the grid in 2009. KTM will not be there, maybe a few wildcard rides. Aprilia, who knows. At least they have a running machine (with a great sound ), which is supposed to come onto the market at the end of the year.