Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Feb 2004, 05:07 (Ref:858510)   #26
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that I'm curious about is... how many cars are going to turn up for this "Motorock Trans-Am Tour"? The ill feeling within TransAm has been well noted; the Muscle Car series looks like it's a go and Speed WC seems to be drawing competitors away - all of which doesn't bode well. TransAm appears to be a great match as a CCWS support, but will it amount to anything this year? Just curious - anyone have any insight?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 05:14 (Ref:858514)   #27
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it the field will be filled by TAR employee rental car Jags.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 13:38 (Ref:858875)   #28
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read that we might be seeing guest appearances by some ChampCar drivers in some TA races. It would be nice to see PT in a TransAm car, especially since we won't be seeing him in an IROC car.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Feb 2004, 15:00 (Ref:858961)   #29
Scrutineer78
Racer

TA's car count is low enough. We don't need a cowboy kamikazi coming in and wrecking any cars.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 15:06 (Ref:858966)   #30
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I don't think you need worry about PT's ability to race a TA successfully or safely.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Feb 2004, 16:06 (Ref:859017)   #31
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrutineer78
TA's car count is low enough. We don't need a cowboy kamikazi coming in and wrecking any cars.
So, we found another troll on the ChampCar forum!!!
Old 1 Feb 2004, 19:16 (Ref:859332)   #32
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see the odd Champcar driver coming into Trans Am for a run, would be an interesting show.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 19:19 (Ref:859335)   #33
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, Snout. Especially if they lose to a TA-fulltimer.
Could give the series the shot-in-the-arm that it needs.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:859417)   #34
Scrutineer78
Racer

More deleted posts.

Is that you, Paul?

No, it's me. Macdaddy.

Last edited by macdaddy; 1 Feb 2004 at 21:00.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:54 (Ref:859433)   #35
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
PG should field another car for half a dozen races and have 3 or 4 of the top Champcar drivers guest drive in it.
Overall I think the addition of Trans Am into the OWRS weekend package will be good for it's exposure.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:57 (Ref:859437)   #36
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
and support PG series in which only PG wins.
I haven't followed this series that closely. Why does only PG win ?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:09 (Ref:859457)   #37
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Actually last season it seemed only Scott Pruett won, but it was in PG's car. I think it was more down to Pruett's abilities. There were other PG cars but Pruett had them all covered.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 23:28 (Ref:859571)   #38
Scrutineer78
Racer

The Jags had a major aero advantage as well as they were allowed to introduce the new Jag motor at mid season while Ford and Chevy teams were not allowed to use their "equivalent". I forget what motor it was, maybe someone can help out with that.

The Jag was competitive enough before all these changes and I'm sure Pruett could have won without it. PG also ran off his only competition when he suspended Said for using his free speech rights.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 01:17 (Ref:859620)   #39
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Well if that's correct then it doesn't sound like a level playing field. Having said that, if it's also correct that most of the field are Jaguars anyway, then I can't see what sort of advantage Rocketsports would have had over every other Jag team. Did Rocketsports just make better use of their Jag ?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 01:29 (Ref:859626)   #40
Scrutineer78
Racer

The field is all Jaguars because all the other competitive teams that ran Vettes, Mustangs and Esperantes left.

Hayner and Sak drove Vettes and they were very underpowered. Said drove the Mustang and it was penalized heavily for it's alleged "aero advantage". The teams had no reason to continue.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 01:34 (Ref:859629)   #41
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
The Mustangs were allowed to run special splitters and dive-planes to enhance their aero to make them more competitve. I also believe they had a new front end approved to bring up their competitveness.
As for Said he was suspended for 'basically' being an arse and refering to certain people as 'Gestapo' which is rather classless IMO. Boris does have a rather volatile personality though which is probably why he hasn't been more successful.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 04:01 (Ref:859694)   #42
Scrutineer78
Racer

Those were last years changes for the Mustang. After PG's "trip to the wind tunnel" he took them off the Mustangs to "equalize" the competition.

True Said could have worded it a little better but he was telling the truth and it was no reason to suspend him.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 19:46 (Ref:860498)   #43
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did Said say? In a nutshell, I mean, was he telling off PG or something?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 21:08 (Ref:860644)   #44
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
What did Said say? In a nutshell, I mean, was he telling off PG or something?
The discussion in this thread should shed a little light on the matter.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 22:19 (Ref:878739)   #45
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
From Autoweek.com: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=06488486

(08:30 Feb. 18, 2004)
2004 Trans-Am Preview: Rock On

By BILL McGUIRE

Although the official schedule has not yet been released, the Motorock Trans-Am Tour hopes to launch a 13-race season, with two more dates than in 2003. The series is now wholly owned by Open Wheel Racing Series, successor to CART as the operator of the Champ Car World Series. (Trans-Am CEO Paul Gentilozzi is a principal in both series.)

Naming rights for the series have been leased from the SCCA for another season, which will kick off at Long Beach. Meanwhile, all is quiet on the Motorock front. The music-and-lifestyle promotion is apparently in reconfiguration mode after a troubled introduction at Miami last year. However, both Gentilozzi and his OWRS partner Kevin Kalkhoven have affirmed their faith in the concept.

The calendar will include Trois-Rivieres, which returns for a second straight year, and Puerto Rico, which reportedly has a multiyear deal. Laguna Seca has already been confirmed, while Denver and Road America are expected to be on the schedule as well. In general, we can anticipate more Trans-Am dates linked to Champ Car events.

Series sources say they expect to have between 15 and 20 cars on the grid, led, of course, by Gentilozzi’s multi-car Rocketsports team. The Lansing, Michigan, operation is continuing development on its overhead-cam Jaguar AJ-V8. The introduction of contemporary V8s to replace the NASCAR-style lumps still in use will encourage more factory involvement, it is hoped. Gentilozzi says he is highly impressed with the Australian V8 Supercars and would like the Trans-Am series to evolve in a similar direction, toward more stock-appearing cars using production platforms and the latest available technology. While series champ Scott Pruett has departed to race in the Rolex Series, rookie- of-the-year Jorge Diaz Jr. will return, as will title runner-up Johnny Miller.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 22:25 (Ref:878751)   #46
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What series will the TransAms be running with at Trois-Rivieres? It is my understanding that the Atlantics are not returning this year.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:23 (Ref:878819)   #47
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
What series will the TransAms be running with at Trois-Rivieres? It is my understanding that the Atlantics are not returning this year.
I think I found the series: http://www.formularenaultna.com/

North American Formula Renault 2000 Schedule

DATE TRACK EVENT
April 8-10 Phoenix International Raceway Grand-Am
May 21-23 Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant Grand-Am
June 18-20 Watkins Glen International Grand-Am
July 30-31 Trois Rivieres Trans-Am
August 6-8 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Grand-Am
September 10-12 Homestead Miami Speedway Grand-Am
September 24-26 Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant Fall Classic
October 1-3 Virginia International Raceway Grand-Am
October 8-10 Barber Motorsports Park Grand-Am
October 29-31 California Speedway Grand-Am
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:26 (Ref:878824)   #48
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
http://www.formularenaultna.com/

Renault Sport Technologies has signed a partnership deal with 'Race Team Promotions' concerning the creation of three single-seater motor racing championships in North America. This will begin with the organisation of Formula Renault 1600* and Formula Renault 2000* championships in 2004, followed by the introduction of a Formula Renault V6* series from 2005.

Capitalising o_n its experience in the realm of single-seater racecars, Renault Sport Technologies is keen to export its expertise and to give young American drivers an opportunity to work their way up the motor racing ladder, in the same spirit as that which governs Renault Sport's existing race-driver grooming process that is widely established in Europe.

Renault Sport Technologies underlines that this decision is based entirely o_n business logic. "We are the world's biggest single-seater racecar constructor and we owe it to ourselves to be present o_n the American market, even though Renault has no commercial presence there as a brand. The creation of a range of single-seater championships in North America is based solely o_n our desire to expand our sales of competition products. In no way does it signify a change in the strategy of the Renault Group itself vis-Ă*-vis the North American market," commented Renault Sport Technology's Competitions and Communications Director, Jean-Paul Mari.

Race Team Promotions will act as an independent promoter with responsibility for the organisation of all three championships. Meanwhile, Race Team Promotions has signed a commercial agreement with, Tatuus, single-seater racecars constructor’s, with a view to importing them into the U.S.A. and Canada.
To mark the occasion, the winners of the 'Winter Series' currently being run by Race Team Promotions at Homestead will be given an opportunity to test drive a Formula Renault V6, the latest addition to Renault Sport's single-seater catalogue.

Formula Renault 1600
First steps in racing: this low-cost concept places the emphasis on car set-up and racing skills and is positioned after karting and Formula Renault Campus as an opportunity to get a first taste of competition, for a reasonable budget, within the framework of a championship.

Formula Renault 2000
A legendary formula: Over five hundred Formula Renault 2000s have been sold to date! This formula is recognised as a benchmark across the world for the acquisition of single-seater racing skills. No fewer than thirteen national championships already exist, not only in Europe but also in Asia and South America, while a Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup will be organised in 2004.

Formula Renault V6
The ultimate stepping-stone before F1: The 370 bhp Formula Renault V6 employs F1-style technology, including a sequential gearbox, carbon brakes and steering wheel-mounted gearshift controls. The races themselves are particularly exciting with features such as rolling starts and mandatory refuelling stops. The 2003 Eurocup was an extremely fiercely fought affair broadcast by Europe's leading TV sports channel, Eurosport
------------------------------------------------------------------

Formula BMW USA has already joined the CC ladder system and now I see a connection between FormulaRenaultNA, Trans Am and ChampCars?! Or am I way off with this one???

Last edited by Dov; 18 Feb 2004 at 23:34.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:31 (Ref:878831)   #49
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The problem is PG, which more or less Brian said. PG wants people to buy PG cars and support PG series in which only PG wins.
And PG owns this series called Champ Car that he is putting PG's money and time into makey money and not bleed to death. It's called "making a profit".

God Bless America!

Last edited by Mags; 18 Feb 2004 at 23:32.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!