Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Aug 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2751840)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_torque View Post
From a fans point of view, the grids are too small, but progress on this has been acknowledged by you.

I'm going to Snetterton this weekend, and I think I need some new rain gear!

Cheers,
James
Unfortunately the grid is back down to 16 cars this weekend, which is the problem I mentioned.

They're saying the wind is very strong at Snetterton right now, so you might need a sou'wester!
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2751890)   #27
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT Cup is amateur only isn't it? No pro's allowed...
Old 30 Aug 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2752076)   #28
FWX
Racer

FWX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody heard any word on the GTs following suit with the F3s and skipping the MSV tracks in 2011? I've heard nothing on what would be the situation with BGT next year should this happen.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2752759)   #29
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not doing themselves any favours if they pull out of the MSV tracks as well. F3 can arguable just about get away with it, but not Brit GT. I hope were not going to start seeing series only using certain promotors/owners circuits. I think I'm right in saying that Brit GT is affliated to BRSCC, if they are not using MSV circuits or Knockhill it's really starting to limit their options. Come to think of it how many BARC circuits do they use? Excuse my ignorance but I can only imagine them using Thruxton out of the BARC tracks, do they go there? If not they're only left with Donington, Silverstone and Rockingham. As far as I'm aware they don't go to Castle Combe (noise restrictions I assume) or Anglesey. No other UK options I can think of.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2752934)   #30
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested in a BGT blog, let us know more.
I agree that the 2 hour format is the natural minimum for this kind of racing. (Personally I favour 4)
On the other hand, last weekend, Ascari and Mosler could be repaired for the second race.
I was at Snetterton for the first time, also my first BGT race since Silverstone a couple of years back. Nice track, surprisingly big crowd (by which I mean around 1000), and decent racing even from only 16 cars. We had a Ford GT, Mosler, and an Ascari so it's still pretty exotic by most standards. And while they're not loud enough, the Appleby Aston made a lovely noise.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2753061)   #31
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...0-12-4073.html

This was the first BGT race I saw - I think Damon had just won the title in Japan.

You don't get variety like this anywhere! (Tries not to sound too nostalgic...)
Old 1 Sep 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2753350)   #32
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...0-12-4073.html

This was the first BGT race I saw - I think Damon had just won the title in Japan.

You don't get variety like this anywhere! (Tries not to sound too nostalgic...)
Blimey, thats old now! This was my first BGT event...

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...6-14-4392.html

DSC reports the only remaining Viper in BGT has now left the series.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2753361)   #33
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post

Julian Bailey in the Storm.

At Spa in 05 I asked Fiona Pearce who was the best driver - speed, guile, feedback - that had ever graced the Storm. With no hesitation she said "Julian Bailey and Geoff(Lees)".
Old 2 Sep 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2753787)   #34
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post

End of season overall champions Dean and Luby, GT1 champions O'Rourke and Sugden, some great racing that year
Old 3 Sep 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2754114)   #35
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
End of season overall champions Dean and Luby, GT1 champions O'Rourke and Sugden, some great racing that year
My first British GT event was the British GP support event in 1997. It was the first time I had seen GTs firsthand. After that I was hooked and visited every BGT round at either Silverstone or Donington in 1998 and stopped paying such close attention to F1!

I'm looking forward to this year's Britcar 24hr at Silverstone as Ian Stinton will have his Harrier out - one of only a very few British GT cars from that era still active I believe.

Sadly, now that it's just another GT3-based series, I have little interest in the modern incarnation of British GT.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2755231)   #36
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone View Post
My first British GT event was the British GP support event in 1997. It was the first time I had seen GTs firsthand. After that I was hooked and visited every BGT round at either Silverstone or Donington in 1998 and stopped paying such close attention to F1!
That British GP support event was, IIRC not a good advert for the series really as there was a large entry that proved unreliable and more retirements than one would have wished, only time it supported F1 I think?
Old 6 Sep 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2755279)   #37
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That British GP support event was, IIRC not a good advert for the series really as there was a large entry that proved unreliable and more retirements than one would have wished, only time it supported F1 I think?
BGT supported F1 in '98 and '99 as well.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2755562)   #38
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That British GP support event was, IIRC not a good advert for the series really as there was a large entry that proved unreliable and more retirements than one would have wished
Well it didn't put me off! I do remember the Lister blowing its engine on the way to the grid though...
Old 9 Sep 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2756688)   #39
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure that everyone would like to see bigger grids in Brit GT and the possible competition between Brit GT, GT Cup & Britcar can't help. Dont know the answer to that really; there's a GT Cup class within Brit GT but hasn't seen wide take up. Maybe this is because the GT Cup racers can run 2 x 1/2 hour races in one day so not as expensive in time or the need to have 2 drivers, bigger team support etc.

Perhaps SRO should consider timetabling the meetings so that those that want to run on just one day can.

Maybe the homologation thing is an issue? Is it too difficult/ expensive to run cars that are only available via official homologation? Perhaps that is overly costly or bound up in red tape; maybe there needs to be more latitude for owners to build themselves cars within a regulatory framework rather than to the letter of a manufacturers homologation sheet?

I'd like to see more GT4 cars race, so perhaps there should be much cheaper entry fees for this class and somehow there should be encouragement for the Aston GT4s, BMW Z4, Nissan 350Z, Porsche Cayman etc to run competitively as they do in European GT4. It doesn't help that Aston Martin have put on their own GT4 series (for about 8 cars per race only) - they could be running that challenge within Brit GT4, as both part of the GT4 class & as a seperate challenge. Ditto the Chevron GR8 challenge.

Maybe the Brit GT entrants could have a race on the same bill as the European GT series at Silverstone, with the option (discounted fee) of running in the European races as well if practicable, & vice versa.

Sorry for the random thoughts!
Old 12 Sep 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2758286)   #40
Andy 308GTB
Rookie

England
Essex
Andy 308GTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My feelings are...

British GT - The 'official' series - run to the official regulations. But this makes it restrictive & expensive and in the current financial environment not many can afford it - resulting in small grids. Saying that the coverage shown on Motors TV last year was superb & the racing was always exciting and interesting . I love BGT - the racing is generally to a very high standard.

Britcar - love this too, especially the end of season 'Into the night' race at Brands. But the grid sizes have slipped slowly and surely - many moving across to the GT Cup. I'm a big fan of the MJC Ferrari 430 (Witt Gamski/Keith Robinson) - check out the videos on 'YouTube' - utter class.

GTCup - as a new series, they were able to create a format to suit the current environment. And it has worked. As mentioned previously, huge grids and a variety of cars. I think the initial idea of having a series of individual races as opposed to a championship encouraged a lot of drivers to get involved knowing that they could dip in & out as the money came/went.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2758344)   #41
Andy 308GTB
Rookie

England
Essex
Andy 308GTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To update my post above ^

I just watched the Snetterton Round of the British GT's on MotorsTV.
GT3
4 x Ferraris
1 x Porsche
1 x Mosler
1 x Ascari
1 x Ford GT
1 x Viper
1 x Aston
GT4
4 x Ginetta
1 x Aston

On the face of it a great mix of cars but not enough of them. However, it was a terrific race (Race 1 - they didn't show much of Race 2) - very close racing, I'd like to be the owner of a Ferrari Bodyshop...
All credit to MotorsTV for the coverage - I also think Diana Binks does a very good job.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2780836)   #42
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the season finale races on TV yesterday, not bad racing at all. Pretty engaging actually. If this upward trajectory continues and more cars show up, I may make an effort to see one of the 2hr races next season.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2780843)   #43
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Any sign of the 2011 schedule yet?
Old 26 Oct 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2780871)   #44
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Any sign of the 2011 schedule yet?
Yep, see this:

http://www.britishgt.com/index.php
Old 26 Oct 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2780946)   #45
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'The championship’s superb TV package of Channel 4 and Motors TV coverage is set to continue.'

it is good but it would be great if the channel 4 programme was longer than half an hour as i dont have motors
Old 27 Oct 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2781041)   #46
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post

Thanks for that, don't know how I missed that.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2794406)   #47
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
delete.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2794407)   #48
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Some changes to the 2011-schedule:

2011 Avon Tyres British GT Championship
Provisional calendar
08 Mar Silverstone Media/Test Day
09 Mar Silverstone Test Day
23-25 Apr Oulton Park 2hr race
14/15 May Snetterton 300 2hr race
18/19 Jun Brands Hatch 2x1hr races
07/08 Jul Spa-Francorchamps 2x1hr races
03/04 Sep Rockingham 2x1hr races
24/25 Sep Donington Park GP 3hr race
08/09 Oct Silverstone Arena 2hr race
tbc Silverstone or Donington 2x1hr races

Three two hour races and one three hour event....

How many series does it take to make a trend? Looks like almost everybody is moving away from the one hour sprints and towards longer races these days.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2794416)   #49
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Some changes to the 2011-schedule:

2011 Avon Tyres British GT Championship
Provisional calendar
08 Mar Silverstone Media/Test Day
09 Mar Silverstone Test Day
23-25 Apr Oulton Park 2hr race
14/15 May Snetterton 300 2hr race
18/19 Jun Brands Hatch 2x1hr races
07/08 Jul Spa-Francorchamps 2x1hr races
03/04 Sep Rockingham 2x1hr races
24/25 Sep Donington Park GP 3hr race
08/09 Oct Silverstone Arena 2hr race
tbc Silverstone or Donington 2x1hr races

Three two hour races and one three hour event....

How many series does it take to make a trend? Looks like almost everybody is moving away from the one hour sprints and towards longer races these days.
I would of preferred a two or maybe 3 hour race at spa instead of two 1 hour races
Old 22 Nov 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2794450)   #50
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill gone from the calander.