Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jul 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1360653)   #26
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Erm...bit of a freudian slip there Mr Green!

Jodie Marsh and Jodie Kidd are very different types of model

Ooooops sorry for the slip
Old 22 Jul 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1360659)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Claire has it spot on. It's a good story and will generate a lot of PR but will never actually happen.

Celeb drivers are fine for support series. Ford used to run a guest car in the Fiesta Challenge - Alastair Stewart and Alan Menu's wife both had a go. It was all treated as a bit of fun and is they trundled around near the back no one really minded. BTCC should be professional enough not to have to employ such gimmicks.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1361052)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You were thinking of Richard Marsh or Spencer Marsh, weren't you Stephen? No? Stick to the rugby tackles then.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1361272)   #29
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on folk just had a thought. If she has only done four races then what grade of licence has she got? What does one need for the Maserati Trofeo? I'm sure BTCC must be National A.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1361297)   #30
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
What does one need for the Maserati Trofeo? .
Lots of money, a talented co-driver and (judging by the Silverstone race) not a great deal else!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1361443)   #31
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think my young friend newoutsider was being deliberately provocative. A few months ago, when it looked like Legatte would drive for WSR in preference to some of the worthy 'young guns without funds' there was a healthy debate - the opinion seemd to be that it was wrong for her to buy a drive when all that talent was out there without a drive; well now she has a drive and the debate turns to Jodi Kidd. Whose to say she'd be slower than Fiona? and if she is faster, then what?

The simple fact is that motor racing always has been a sport for the wealthy with the simply talented muscling ntheir way in on skill alone being a rare event. There are lots of drivers with talent and limited funds and lots of drivers with limited talent and lots of funds - mguess which gets most of the drives?

I for one would welcome Jodi Kidd into the BTCC because it would help re-invigerate the championship in the eyes of mr joe public in an age where simply being dumb enough to live in a TV box for a few weeks is enough to earn 'celebrity' status and makesome good money (or so it appears to this hard working man).
Old 23 Jul 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1361601)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
On the page opposite to that article Steve Neal is threatning to pull out of the BTCC in favour of the WTCC if driving standards don't improve. It's all PR and I don't expect either will happen.
Their current Honda Integra isn't allowed in WTCC because it's a coupe and not in S2000 specifications.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1361607)   #33
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdad
I think my young friend newoutsider was being deliberately provocative. A few months ago, when it looked like Legatte would drive for WSR in preference to some of the worthy 'young guns without funds' there was a healthy debate - the opinion seemd to be that it was wrong for her to buy a drive when all that talent was out there without a drive; well now she has a drive and the debate turns to Jodi Kidd. Whose to say she'd be slower than Fiona? and if she is faster, then what?
That's a totally different situation. Legatte is a genuine racing driver who is looking for a career in the sport. Kidd is a 'celeb' with minimal race experience being brought in for a guest drive as a gimmick.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1361609)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Their current Honda Integra isn't allowed in WTCC because it's a coupe and not in S2000 specifications.
TD are supposed to be looking at the JAS Accord Euro-R which would be eligable for WTCC.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1361860)   #35
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have done more research.Seems Jodie did 2 Maserati Trofeo races last year as well as all of this years. Difficult to judge her ability as in all cases she shared with a much more experienced driver,Tiff Needell,Ivan Capelli,etc,though it is possible to run solo.Full results can be found at www.maseraticorse.it Would be interesting to see individual lap times?
BTW: its Fiona Leggate-2 'g' s one 't' She 's the nearest I have to a local heroine,so I am bound to support her!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1362078)   #36
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with regards to celebrity drivers, wasn't the footballer david ginola meant to be doing a few races for renault in 96/97, until his football manager vetoed it(i think it was kevin keegan at the time).
Old 6 Aug 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1373736)   #37
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Jodie Kidd has done some Maserati racing internationally, I'm sure I saw something about it on Fifth Gear. I agree with others, she needs more experience before getting behind the wheel of a BTCC car, as they are a tad different to Maseratis (sp?)

Regards,
Vicki
Old 6 Aug 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1373765)   #38
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Jodie Kidd has been competing in the Maserati Trofeo championship this year. Although not very competitvly, IMO. Her best result so far this year is 11th overall out of 20 entrants at Imola. IMO this is particulary dissapointing considering the team mates she has had, Tiff Needell and Ralph Firman immeditly spring to mind. Now I dont know for sure, but Im guessing Jodie Kidd is the slower driver of the 3.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1373854)   #39
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Undoubtedly Saleen - at best she isn't ready to race at BTCC level, and there's no guarantee that she would ever be good enough. Female drivers are great in my view, someone like Fiona Leggate (to answer an earlier query) has paid her dues in junior championships and showed a lot of talent along the way, but someone like Jodie jumping in at the top could give them all a bad name in more prejudiced eyes.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1374302)   #40
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Now I dont know for sure, but Im guessing Jodie Kidd is the slower driver of the 3.
Both Tiff Needell and Ralph Firman have had much more racing experience, so I am going to hazard a wild guess they would be more competitive, and faster.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1374307)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep that's what I was thinking for sure too, but again I dont have any hard facts to base my opinion on, so in theory she could have not been the slowest out of the 3. Although it is very unlikely, just covering my back, thats all. Best to not assume anything. IMO.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1374763)   #42
fantasytoca
Racer

fantasytoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as she's got the money and a suitable licence then I don't see a problem with it.

Lets not forget a couple of years ago everyone was bickering about Tom Chilton getting a BTCC drive solely on the strength of his Dad's bank balance but having seen him race this season I doubt that few would argue he has matured into a good BTCC driver.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1374898)   #43
redshoes
Veteran

The difference here is that it's not Kidd buying a drive but the team paying to bring her in as a guest.

If the team have money to spare there are a long list of more suitable candidates.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1385927)   #44
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
she may surprise us all different cattle of fisjh a mazza tio an ff touring car i know it nothing really to judge on but she was great on top gear