Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2232499)   #26
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns
How about holding it at Pembrey? Lots of space for development of a world class track. It just needs a few hundred million spending on it.
*Laughs histerically and falls over*

Those few hundred million should answer your question.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2232533)   #27
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
To keep this thread remotely marshal relevant, I'll point out that if you're expecting a change of venue to bring a change of treatment, I think you may well be very much mistaken!!
I love the way you're always so qualified to comment on marshalling at the GP, given that you've never done it Keep at it, I need something to make me smile.

Anyway, back to the subject - IMO there is very little chance of a GP being held at Donington. The circuit isn't in anyway suitable, the new pit complex would have to be rebuilt (or a new complex elsewhere) - I can just see F1 cars launching over the "speed bumps" outside the garages. Plus I understand that the amount of existing airport traffic makes the helicopter traffic very very difficult to manage. It's all part of the usual posturing that comes at this time of year and at this stage in the contract negotiations.

I have mixed opions on whether we NEED a GP in the UK, I'm sure there are others who have the facts and figures about how much a GP brings into the country and how much would be at risk if we didn't have one, without all of those figures it's difficult to take a view.

I still think we'll get a smaller number of European GP's that will rotate through EU countries, so us one year, Spa next, Germany etc. the emerging markets of Russia, China etc. are VERY attractive to sponsors and have governments that will put in unlimited money (which EU countries can't do).

If Bernie put a decent deal on the table that ran for more than a couple of years then the BRDC could justify spending the money to upgrade as is needed BUT who in their right minds would commit £40m to upgrade for a short term contract.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2232582)   #28
wild hipo
Racer

wild hipo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good point Piglet, there are other countries that will put in money. So at the end of the day poor old UK will loose out.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2232676)   #29
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park Grand Prix. What would I give to see F1 cars over the mountain and through hall bends!!!!!!!!

We can but dream.....

(is the capacity limit only for racing or would it be possible for someone to demo a F1 car round there?)

Last edited by Stack; 19 Jun 2008 at 14:29.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 19 Jun 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2232736)   #30
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, although I think it would be a shame to loose the British GP, I think the ludicrus fees Bernie charges per GP would be much better spent on other area's of motor sport. There is no shortage of high profile series to take it's place. I know most don't pull the same crowds that F1 does, but from reports I've seen the BRDC makes a loss on the GP because they have to pay Bernie his £11.5 million.
I'm sure Bernie and the sponsors are the only ones in F1 making a profit.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2232826)   #31
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I believe the current landlords of Donington have a preference towards motorcycle racing
Yep, that's why the pit-garages are so small

But don't care.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2232838)   #32
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i checked the date on the front cover when i see the head line, it's not april the 1st!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2232891)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm94wrx
Personally, although I think it would be a shame to loose the British GP, I think the ludicrous fees Bernie charges per GP would be much better spent on other area's of motor sport. There is no shortage of high profile series to take it's place. I know most don't pull the same crowds that F1 does, but from reports I've seen the BRDC makes a loss on the GP because they have to pay Bernie his £11.5 million.
I'm sure Bernie and the sponsors are the only ones in F1 making a profit.
That's all very well but where do you think the income to pay those fees comes from? Yes; that's right - from the spectator entrance fees.

No GP equals no income to the circuit so nothing to spend on other areas of motorsport.

The BRDC always used to commit lots of money to supporting British motorsport (and still do).

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 19 Jun 2008 at 19:40.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2232907)   #34
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All this talk is just pipe-smoke. There is NO OTHER circuit in the country, apart from Silverstone, that could even dream of holding a GP.

It is all just PR/Business talk that makes it into the press because they need to fill the white spaces.

Has anyone seen the coverage (yet again) about the "Silverstone Revamp" - Pits/Paddock moving between Club and Abbey (and yes, PieLady can remember where those corners are). Now that is more realistic than moving the show elsewhere in the UK.

Every year it is the same old thing - will the British GP survive? Well, to be honest, I gave up doing it in 2002 and, although it would be a shame for newer marshals not to have the opportunity in this country, I really don't think it is anything worth getting knickers in twist for.

IMHO F1 is no longer "motorsport" and hasn't been for many a year. Otherwise why does McClaren get fined lots for "bringing the sport into disrepute" but Max doesn't?????

Enough said......................................
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2233330)   #35
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
All this talk is just pipe-smoke. There is NO OTHER circuit in the country, apart from Silverstone, that could even dream of holding a GP.
Correction. there are 16 circuits in the UK including Silverstone that could dream of holding it, and 2 which seem to dream a bit harder than the others.

And Bernie likes the idea too : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68425
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2233361)   #36
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Correction. there are 16 circuits in the UK including Silverstone that could dream of holding it, and 2 which seem to dream a bit harder than the others.

And Bernie likes the idea too : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68425
It is important not to confuse dreams with delusional states.

Jim
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2233367)   #37
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Dreaded double post!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2243875)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
OK, I'd better say it before anyone else does - Looks like I might be wrong (again).

But I'll go for broke and say I'm still not convinced.

Jim
Old 4 Jul 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2243913)   #39
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Nicola Foulston buy the rights to host the GP, then hosted it at Silverstone because of problems with Brands Hatch not being ready in time to host it.

Is this the same situation, we will all be at Silverstone in 2010 but it wont be the BRDC promoting it.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2243924)   #40
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have just heared on the tv news gp going to donno in 2010

thats great for me as im only 20 mins on my scooter
never been able to do the gp as its too much for the mrs if im away for 4 days
this way i can just come and go each day

i would like to see a system where each country that hosts a gp has a diff venue each year its on there like gb we have silverston and donno poss brands too
Old 4 Jul 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2243981)   #41
JovialJooles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridge
JovialJooles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Looks like Silverstone needs to build itself that 1/2 mile Oval and attract some proper motor racing. (hee hee)

Just off to see the pigs fly past my office window.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2244061)   #42
JEP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
JEP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least if Bernie wants a night race us Donington marshals are trained up on late finishes!

JEP
Old 4 Jul 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2244102)   #43
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets hope they dont hold it at easter we all no what happened the last time they did that
Old 4 Jul 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2244147)   #44
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh

It is all just PR/Business talk that makes it into the press because they need to fill the white spaces.

Has anyone seen the coverage (yet again) about the "Silverstone Revamp" - Pits/Paddock moving between Club and Abbey (and yes, PieLady can remember where those corners are). Now that is more realistic than moving the show elsewhere in the UK.

Every year it is the same old thing - will the British GP survive? Well, to be honest, I gave up doing it in 2002 and, although it would be a shame for newer marshals not to have the opportunity in this country, I really don't think it is anything worth getting knickers in twist for.

IMHO F1 is no longer "motorsport" and hasn't been for many a year. Otherwise why does McClaren get fined lots for "bringing the sport into disrepute" but Max doesn't?????

Enough said......................................
Well, it is a first that I am quoting myself.

Except this time we have more politics to think about.

In my opinion, Donington will never be in a situation to hold a GP in 2010 but I don't know what politics have led to this announcement, and I don't want to speculate.

I would just like to add that I was there in 1993, so I do know what F1 at Donington Park is like. More reason why I have such doubts about it. That race was a one off (ie the Senna element) and should remain so.

If it does go ahead don't expect any racing at Donington for the next two years - it will be a building site!!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2244153)   #45
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Further comment:
When Tom Wheatcroft re-developed Donington, he kept the basic outline of the 1930's circuit. That has meant a link of sorts to the circuit's origins. Will Herr Tilke do the same if this goes ahead????
Old 4 Jul 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2244242)   #46
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my personal view

if they do have to do something to the track can they please leave it as is from redgate to coppice and alter the rest
Old 4 Jul 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2244254)   #47
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ongoing discussion about the GP move is in the below thread in the F1 forum (yes i know this one was started earlier, but we're trying to keep it in the one thread for now please - we had over 10 when the news broke! )

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...107962&page=12