Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give it?
10 2 2.33%
9 14 16.28%
8 28 32.56%
7 21 24.42%
6 9 10.47%
5 2 2.33%
4 6 6.98%
3 2 2.33%
2 2 2.33%
1 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3089007)   #26
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7, would have been 8 but I think I rated Canada 8 last year and I prefered last years race.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3089018)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed this one, it was everything Monaco wasn't so gave it an 8.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3089034)   #28
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 from me, thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't see the problem with DRS, everyone's got it so if you get passed, hang on & re-pass the next lap! Unless you're 3 seconds a lap slower, then I think you may have been passed regardless of DRS.....
Old 11 Jun 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3089168)   #29
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always a good race. Racing close to the armco barriers.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3089229)   #30
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
7, extra point for being Montreal.

So, so artificial. A great drive like Alonso's being rewarded with no podium.
But a great drive from Lewis was rewarded with a win rather than a charge being halted unable to pass two clearly slower cars as has happened so often in the past. What it takes with one hand it gives back with the other.

I gave the race an 8. A variety of strategies, some worked, some didn't, definitely much more of a chess game than other recent races but with the bonus of Lewis giving it the beans, and the downright fastest driver on the day won. As it should be.

Aside from an exceptionally dull Monaco i still give 2012 a big thumbs up...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3089302)   #31
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
I just don't get some of you guys. DRS spoils the race? Pre-DRS you could be 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster and still couldn't get past. That was nothing to do with "defensive driving"; it was just the stupid aerodynamics that had evolved in F1.

It seems that DRS is being criticised in Canada because there were a lot of circumstances where one driver had a huge advantage over another and could have passed without DRS. That doesn't invalidate DRS because there were other circumstances when drivers managed to pass with only a small lap-time advantage. And there were other occasions when a driver was following another car but failed to pass, even with DRS.

I would be happy to see DRS go if we also stripped off the wings and introduced a rule to prevent downforce being generated off the floor. But that's not going to happen, so let's celebrate DRS for allowing the fastest car and driver combination to win. Isn't that the object of racing?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3089307)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But we're missing out on wheel-to-wheel stuff. It's okay though because the other rules have given us much more of it on the whole. Canada is an extreme example of the bad side of DRS.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3089394)   #33
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I just don't get some of you guys. DRS spoils the race? Pre-DRS you could be 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster and still couldn't get past. That was nothing to do with "defensive driving"; it was just the stupid aerodynamics that had evolved in F1.

It seems that DRS is being criticised in Canada because there were a lot of circumstances where one driver had a huge advantage over another and could have passed without DRS. That doesn't invalidate DRS because there were other circumstances when drivers managed to pass with only a small lap-time advantage. And there were other occasions when a driver was following another car but failed to pass, even with DRS.

I would be happy to see DRS go if we also stripped off the wings and introduced a rule to prevent downforce being generated off the floor. But that's not going to happen, so let's celebrate DRS for allowing the fastest car and driver combination to win. Isn't that the object of racing?
What he said . No DRS? Processions - every race like Monaco. Tedious in the extreme. Some people are never happy.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3089424)   #34
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
This coming from a former 'pro-DRS' guy:

How do we know we'll have boring races without DRS? We've never been without it with the Pirelli's...

Selby
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3089425)   #35
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Or they could at least use DRS in places where overtaking is a semi-possibility. Using it on the largest straights of the track, to me, just seems plain backward.

Surely from the 2nd chicane through to the 3rd would have made more sense?

Selby
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3089427)   #36
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 , Grosjean and Perez towards the end smelt blood and hunted down Alonso and Vettel .
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3089431)   #37
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
What he said . No DRS? Processions - every race like Monaco. Tedious in the extreme. Some people are never happy.
I was happy with Monaco. On Sunday, I got bored and switched to NASCAR about halfway through.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3089668)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
gets a 7 from me probably the best race so far this season
Old 12 Jun 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3089728)   #39
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps artificial because I saw the Beeb highlights - tho I don't think it missed much, but I found it a genuinely interesting race, with an unexpected but well-deserved podium......I expected Lewis, but not the arrival on the podium of Grosjean and Perez.

So I gave it a 9.....
Old 13 Jun 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3090123)   #40
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I was happy with Monaco. On Sunday, I got bored and switched to NASCAR about halfway through.
Whuh?

That Monaco race was tedious from start to finish - yet another procession. This was much better. Gave it 7. Didn't bother to vote on Monaco.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3090305)   #41
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Whuh?

That Monaco race was tedious from start to finish - yet another procession. This was much better. Gave it 7. Didn't bother to vote on Monaco.
Can't be bothered to dig it out or to start the discussion all over again, but my reasoning for that is in the Monaco voting thread. Suffice to say that I prefer motorsport over motorentertainment.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3090380)   #42
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can't be bothered to dig it out or to start the discussion all over again, but my reasoning for that is in the Monaco voting thread. Suffice to say that I prefer motorsport over motorentertainment.
I don't think it's a sport versus entertainment thing. I.e. I'm entertained by the late 80's. It was high drama, fast sport with a few moves during the race. It was high entertainment that appealed to a niche and perhaps not understood by most.

Sport versus circus I think is more illustrative where the gauge is leaning towards the circus at the expense of sport. The bad news it's indicative of a trend in all sport, TV is at multichannel saturation and competition is volcanic, so the sport gets the circus treatment by the scheming ringmasters that run them.

Last edited by Paradise City; 13 Jun 2012 at 21:21.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 21:57 (Ref:3090420)   #43
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think it's a sport versus entertainment thing. I.e. I'm entertained by the late 80's. It was high drama, fast sport with a few moves during the race. It was high entertainment that appealed to a niche and perhaps not understood by most.

Sport versus circus I think is more illustrative where the gauge is leaning towards the circus at the expense of sport. The bad news it's indicative of a trend in all sport, TV is at multichannel saturation and competition is volcanic, so the sport gets the circus treatment by the scheming ringmasters that run them.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that sport can't be entertaining. And as I said, personally I was more entertained by the Monaco race than any other this season. I just think that F1 is sacrificing the sporting aspect in favour of increasing the entertainment value, which doesn't work for me. And interestingly enough, it also doesn't work for pretty much all of the more casual fans I've spoken to recently, who complain about the "stupid rules" and in some cases don't bother watching anymore.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3090616)   #44
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Or they could at least use DRS in places where overtaking is a semi-possibility. Using it on the largest straights of the track, to me, just seems plain backward.

Surely from the 2nd chicane through to the 3rd would have made more sense?

Selby
I agree. The effect of a DRS zone nowadays can be that a driver forgoes an overtaking opportunitie, because his competitor can re-overtake him easily in the upcoming DRS-zone. In Canada, you'd normally be able to overtake in the hairpin sometimes, but if you would do that, you immediately can be countered at the DRS-zone just after it.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3090671)   #45
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that sport can't be entertaining. And as I said, personally I was more entertained by the Monaco race than any other this season. I just think that F1 is sacrificing the sporting aspect in favour of increasing the entertainment value, which doesn't work for me. And interestingly enough, it also doesn't work for pretty much all of the more casual fans I've spoken to recently, who complain about the "stupid rules" and in some cases don't bother watching anymore.
You keep calling Monaco a race...it's not, is a procession of very fast cars timetrialing round a very expensive place to live.

Visit some club races around the UK. More fun than watching F1, and they are real races. And your circuit entry fee help the circuits stay competitive, so is a much better place to put money than with Sky TV.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3090735)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was it good?

I missed it........
Old 14 Jun 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3090797)   #47
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
You keep calling Monaco a race...it's not, is a procession of very fast cars timetrialing round a very expensive place to live.

Visit some club races around the UK. More fun than watching F1, and they are real races. And your circuit entry fee help the circuits stay competitive, so is a much better place to put money than with Sky TV.
A race is not just a collection of as many overtaking maneuvers as possible - that's what F1 needs to understand.

I'm not in the UK and therefore not a subscriber to Sky. I'm at the Nürburgring for VLN as often as I can though - and that is much more fun than F1 indeed.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3090824)   #48
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Of course it's a bloody race. Don't be so silly. It just so happens that overtaking is difficult at Monaco (as it is at many street circuits, Pau, Macau). Driving a street circuit is a integral part of any professional driver's repertoire. Brands Hatch is pretty difficult to overtake on, especially in very fast prototypes/single-seaters yet we'd all love to see F1 return there.

I think some people just don't like Monaco because it is 'a very expensive place to live.' If you don't enjoy watching the race use that thing called a tv remote and turn off!

I don't know what makes people think that there can be wheel to wheel racing every lap across a 200 mile race. F1 was never like that. Never. As many have said, the sport:entertainment ratio is skewing vastly in entertainment's favour and that, in my opinion, is a shame.

Finally, and off topic but I need to say it...

Quote:
And your circuit entry fee help the circuits stay competitive
Umm, a) I don't quite know what you mean by 'competitive' and b) our entry fees help the circuits make more and more money each year for their owners. Circuit hire has gone up something like 300-400% in the last six years. The clubs are making less and less money (the BARC is on a 3-day week). I'm not quite sure what your point is here, and it's not exactly correct either.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3090887)   #49
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Monaco was a race. If a car falters, he's on top of the barriers, the succeeding cars pass. That's a race. An important trick with Monaco is not to get out of shape and that's a phenomenal challenge, the nature of which is unique to MC, in cars that are themselves challenging.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3090893)   #50
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Pirelli brought tyres that were more durable than Bridgestones 2010 efforts. The mind boggles! 7.