Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1335752)   #26
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one thing has come out of the weekends events, it's peoples bias towards F1 (both for and against).
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1335757)   #27
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
Pointless, stupid and irrelevant to the thread. Pity the mods are so idle on this topic - strange....

I've allowed some emotion on this. Its understandable under the circumstances. But that stops now.

If you want to complain about the mods, there is anannouncements and feedback forum.

This thread started with someone's account of being there, which was fair enough. The rest of the BS will be deleted.

For the last time. Keep the registering of disgust to one thread.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1335763)   #28
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We were there too, and left after 20 laps. Thankfully we only had 300 miles to drive, but I feel awful for the Japanese fans next to us, or the English contingent of wideboys behind me.

Still no word from any of the responsible parties as to whether they will offer restitution to the fans who shelled out hundreds of dollars to have the **** taken.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1335771)   #29
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Out of respect for those who were there, please use this thread to discuss your personal experiences at Indy. And don't turn it into the usual argument.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 21 Jun 2005 at 12:39.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1335814)   #30
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for reopening this thread Inigo. I wasn't there myself, btu I have immense sympathy for those who were. I don't care whether there is a legal requirement for refunds, but I think it's critical that they do, as at least that way there is a chance of saving some reputation, and maybe getting a decent crowd in the US in future. Very easy to say "that's motor racing" when your wallet is intact, isn't it?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1335826)   #31
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm happy to have my post moved to the correct thread if felt this is needed. I quickly got caught up in what I was wanting to say.

MM
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1335830)   #32
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Fortunately, a good decision, I think, and we now need the money for other, more important things than Formula One.
.. and I'm afraid that most American's will feel the same way next year unless some serious healing takes place. Bernie could take the easy way out and cancel next years race, but a far better approach would be to be to give this years ticket holders a free pass for 2006. Indy is a huge place and the extra attendance could easily be accommodated.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1335831)   #33
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Indeed! Like changing your motor's Michelin to Bridgestone perhaps?
No, actually. We're having (well, to be accurate, my wife is) a baby in about 7 weeks.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1335901)   #34
knock-on
Rookie

England
Surrey
knock-on should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan

My thoughts are that the teams themselves were not at fault, from what I have read so far no one is saying this.
Nobody except the FIA who have summonsed them.

I was dissapointed and frustrated just watching the race on TV so can imagine the outrage by people parting with hard currency to attend the event.

It was also dissapointing that so few Americans turned out. Only 150k I heard. They will be lucky to get 1/2 that next year if the event goes ahead.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1335902)   #35
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I going to get my money back?

I doubt it. Who is going to refund it?

I might be able to get ticket fees refunded, but other travel and lodging expenses? Forget about it. I will go on with my life, I have better things to do with my time.

IMS might get sued but it was completely out of their hands, at best they may offer a discount or some sort of voucher for next years race.

Either way, I am not going back. F1/FIA has just proved that they are unable to solve a problem that destroys a race. The tire issue was a serious safety issue, changes and compromise could have been made to allow this race to go forward with a safe and full field.

The (apparent) way the contracts are written, IMS essentially pays the F1 to hold a race. The FIA/F1 sanction and run the race according to their individual agreements.

IMS has put a tremendous amount of money into holding this race between the race fees (reported at $15 million a race) and track upgrades ($50-80 million). IMS gets to keep the money from the ticket sales and concession stand sales, the rest goes to FIA/F1.

Do the math, IMS has yet to turn a profit, and has absolutely no say on how a race will be run on their track.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1335945)   #36
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not really a refund, but you can attend the Cleveland Champcar race with your USGP ticket.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17707/
Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1335954)   #37
Robert Duncan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Robert Duncan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was there also. I didn't have a large amount invested, about $150 in travel and meal expenses and two days vacation time (out of the 5 days I get each year). I live about 300 miles away. I was a turn marshal at station 9, so no ticket expense.

The turn marshals first heard of the mess on Saturday night when we met after the days activity for a few cold brews. We had no update Sunday morning but one of our radio scanners picked up the ESPN TV people talking about a chicane.

I noticed activity near turn 10 about 45 minutes before the start so I walked over there. The course crew were stealing tire stacks from the end of one of the tire walls. In the middle of their work someone in a golf cart showed up and they stopped. I asked the fellow if this was for the chicane at 13 and he said "there is no chicane" and walked away.

Overall a very sad day for racing. As a corner worker I feel I was a part of the show and it was not a good one for the people that took the time and effort to attend. I will support future races and show up to work as required.

I do feel the FIA have painted themselves into a corner with their rules. The teams get very little track access and limited resources (restricted number of tires) to find problems such as this Michelin issue. Then there is no recourse when a problem shows itself (except for the Brazilian 2003 race where the FIA delayed the start of the race to better suit the Brigestone runners who had poor wet tires when it rained ).
Old 21 Jun 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1336003)   #38
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
Menelaos, don't waste your time. K-B and the other loyalists are so stick to the rules to understand your point.
You know what's funny? I too stick to the rules. But I ALSO think about people who paid their hard earned money to watch that ridiculous ride around the indy circuit!

I'm a McLaren fan, but I feel it would be unfair if the guys just put in a chicane. That'd be the best for my favorite team, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted them to place a chicane (or come up with any other plan to help Michelin runners actually RUN) and then probably add a (few) minute(s) to their total time as a penalty. I didn't ask for Ferrari and Bridgestone to be screwed, cause that wouldn't be fair. But they could come up with a FAIR settlement, and they didn't. The FIA are to blame for this thing, 100%.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1336033)   #39
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No one was asking for the chicane to be added and the Mcihelin teams not to be penalised for it. Imposing a one-lap penalty on their race results would have been fair, safe and reasonably easy to understand. I have huge sympathy with everyone whoa ttended the race, and I'm itnerested in Ron green's claim that more people have renewed their tickets than have requested refunds so far. if that's true, maybe F1 can survive this situation.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1336070)   #40
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes, it is racing.

Michelin had a tyre which wasn't good enough and they retired from the race, Bridgeston had one which worked and finished 1-6.

Perfectly fair.
Correct.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1336084)   #41
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
I´m not a Ferrari/Bridgestone Fan, but changing the circuit at the last minute would be unfair for those engineers/testers who did their homework correctly.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1336099)   #42
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, Speed.

What if engines and gearboxes had failed, or brakes had been stressed by the addition of a slow corner in the middle of a section of track where all the teams had planned for their cars to run flat out?

There is only one company to blame for this issue, as they were offered alternatives that they refused to take. Any spectators should send a letter to Clermont Ferrand demanding a refund, not to the FIA or Tony George.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1336147)   #43
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
kicking-back, some of your comments surprised me a bit...

To those that think this all goes down to "just racing", I wonder what your feelings would be had you been at the race in person? Perhaps you could show a bit more empathy.

As for me, I will remain a fan of Formula 1. But, it does depress me that this type of occurance would only happen in Formula 1.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1336151)   #44
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure kb would be righly disapointed but still, it is racing...take the good with the bad, and c'mon, lets be fair there's been a lot of good this year
Old 21 Jun 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1336162)   #45
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knock-on

It was also dissapointing that so few Americans turned out. Only 150k I heard.
I would have thought that 150k was a pretty good attendance. I think very few GP's get attendance at that level.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1336261)   #46
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
To those that think this all goes down to "just racing", I wonder what your feelings would be had you been at the race in person? Perhaps you could show a bit more empathy.
I really feel sorry for those who paid so much to get so little.

The one-tire rule stinks!
Add to the stinky rules list: the same-quals/race-fuel-loading rule, and the only-one-qualifying-lap rule.

FIA must change this bunch of improvised rules.

Just my $0.02
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1336375)   #47
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really want a refund, especially from Tony George and the IMS. I love that place and will support it with my ticket dollars. They, and the folks in that city, are a fantastic bunch of people that put on one hell of a good show. Remember that they only ran the Indy 500 3 weeks prior, yet they were able to change everything in that short span of time for the GP. Quite a feat really. It takes more work than we know to accomplish that in a place that big.

The ticket price is really the cheapest part of a race weekend. The food, hotels, and transportation is the big cost, and that cannot be recouped. So don't feel that just because there hasn't been a huge bunch of fans asking for there money back, that the anger has subsided.

Now if Michelin and there teams wants to give it to me, I'll gladly rip it out of there hands...

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1336401)   #48
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the "race" and the build-up beforehand, I was wondering how well the IMS were keeping the crowd informed. Maybe they didn't do a great job and that's a pity. I think some of the drivers should have said something to the public...
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1336420)   #49
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
I think some of the drivers should have said something to the public...
Absolutely, but fat chance of seeing that happen!

And IMS has nothing to do with the PA announcements. Thats all F1 people...

Danica Patrick