Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Apr 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2669481)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
The question that still begs for an answer is... why isn't the TV company allowed to use the same video feed as the stewards?
OK, I had no idea they had a "spycam" at all in the cars.

Why is it not possible to mount another camera alongside the "spy" one, the inside of a saloon car is a pretty big place? I find it hard to believe there isn't the room for them.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2669544)   #27
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what's changed, because initially a few weeks ago ITV said that they'd be showing all except one IPL game (the one that clashed with Rockingham R3), but now that's changed.

IPL obviously have more clout than TOCA!
Old 9 Apr 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2669567)   #28
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Well they do carry bats
Old 9 Apr 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2669631)   #29
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the onboard coverage since the super touring era gone backwards?, In 1999 for example we had great onboard streams and also pits to car communication which really involved the fans.

I remember one live feed from Mansells car in 1998 at Brands when he got a caught speeding in the pit lane

"Nigel you have a speed lane infringment, a drive through penalty"

Mansells reply.."they can get stuffed over I was pulling 58K"

Classic!
Old 9 Apr 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2669646)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Well they do carry bats
Yes, but surely the BTCC guys could go for something Carmaggedon style?
Old 9 Apr 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2669737)   #31
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder what's changed, because initially a few weeks ago ITV said that they'd be showing all except one IPL game (the one that clashed with Rockingham R3), but now that's changed.
They mustn't have realised that its the final of the IPL that clashed with race 3 at the Rock.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2669747)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Apparently IPL has been getting better than expected viewing figures - well over 400,000 for some games Don't have the latest BTCC figures but as I recall that was closer to 250-300,000.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2669840)   #33
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is also the possibility that the contract with the IPL contains a clause that all games have to be shown live.

Commercially a program that is getting c 500,000 views is likely to bring higher advertising revenues for the broadcaster, and itv are totally focused on maximising advertising revenues.

Is it really a big issue anyway? Rockingham is one of the easiest circuits to get to, it's in the east midlands a few minures drive from major east/west & north south routes. I'd much rather be at the track to see the event live than watch on tv.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2669939)   #34
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
They mustn't have realised that its the final of the IPL that clashed with race 3 at the Rock.
Nothing has changed - the IPL game which wasn't scheduled to be shown was the one which clashed with Thruxton.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2670056)   #35
GroupOfOne
Racer

Yeah just realised that sceptic, doh, silly me. I've been enjoying the IPL anyway, so afraid I've helped their viewing figures

Anyway in answer to the IPL having bats, TOCA have Matt Neal. End of discussion.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2670114)   #36
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Is it really a big issue anyway? Rockingham is one of the easiest circuits to get to, it's in the east midlands a few minures drive from major east/west & north south routes. I'd much rather be at the track to see the event live than watch on tv.
I prefer the TV for Rockingham - at least you get to see the cars rather than dots in the distance....
Old 10 Apr 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2670185)   #37
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.....sake. Thanks for messing up my day ITV4, much appreciated. I thought sports that nobody gave a damn about were shown on Sky anyway?
Old 10 Apr 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2670309)   #38
GroupOfOne
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I thought sports that nobody gave a damn about were shown on Sky anyway?
No, the BTCC's shown on ITV4
Old 11 Apr 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2670604)   #39
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, the BTCC's shown on ITV4
Zing! On the contrary though, it seems like BTCC IS a sport people seem to care about. The only reason IPL ended up on ITV4 was because no other channel would want it.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2670638)   #40
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Zing! On the contrary though, it seems like BTCC IS a sport people seem to care about. The only reason IPL ended up on ITV4 was because no other channel would want it.
Well according to the figures quoted above, more people seem to car about the cricket. And I don't think there would be a massive battle between channels to show the BTCC if ITV stopped, it is still very much a minority sport.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2670757)   #41
GroupOfOne
Racer

Indeed, I'm afraid more people watch cricket than watch touring cars. Anyway I was more getting at your comment about being a sport no-one gives a damn about James, just because it's a motorsport forum doesn't mean people don't have other sporting interests.

Nothing personal, on other sporting forums I've called people out for slagging off DTM, WSBK etc along similar lines when it's got in the way of their sport

Anyway, at the end of the day it is just the one race, and think a few year's ago we'd have been glad for just having the highlights shown on the same day as the race. Fingers crossed R3 isn't the race of the season though!
Old 11 Apr 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2671085)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It won't be highlights, it'll be the whole thing on a delay. Ideally the third race would go back to being live on ITV1, but that probably isn't going to happen.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2671291)   #43
GroupOfOne
Racer

Yeah I realise. I meant we'd have been glad for just having the highlights shown the same day, let for what we currently have. A few year's ago the only way I though I'd ever get coverage of BTCC and the support races was via Motors TV.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2671381)   #44
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Not a matter of being allowed, its just impossible to do because one is recorded to a disc and the other is beamed out live.
Seriously, recording a signal AND forwarding it has been possible since the dawn of TV recording. Even all VCRs from several decades ago could do this. Claiming that it is impossible is just ridiculous.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2671386)   #45
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The spycams in the cars aren't anywhere near broadcast quality, so while they are viewable when you watch back directly from the memory card on a small screen, by the time they've been through your average Sky box you'd see no detail at all.
There are no technical reason what so ever to not make the spy cams broadcast quality and have a memorycard based recording system as well. The problem possibly lies in the decision and politics area, bu definitely not in the technical area.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2671389)   #46
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There are no technical reason what so ever to not make the spy cams broadcast quality and have a memorycard based recording system as well. The problem possibly lies in the decision and politics area, bu definitely not in the technical area.
That would mean having every car equipped with satellite linked continuously filming live-broadcast in-car camera's.

Do you have any idea of the cost and logistics of that?! And apart from F1 and maybe Nascar do you know any series where every car has got live satellite-linked always-filming onboard camera's?

Get real.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2671400)   #47
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
That would mean having every car equipped with satellite linked continuously filming live-broadcast in-car camera's.
You must be joking, no? You can't be this ignorant about technology.

All cars would need to be able to RECORD, only selected ones need to be able to TRANSMIT RL feeds. The 2 functions are not necessarily neither exclusive nor inclusive.

And satellite-links?!? That is not a requirement for either option in any case.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2671407)   #48
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
You must be joking, no? You can't be this ignorant about technology.

All cars would need to be able to RECORD, only selected ones need to be able to TRANSMIT RL feeds. The 2 functions are not necessarily neither exclusive nor inclusive.

And satellite-links?!? That is not a requirement for either option in any case.
You must be joking, no?
Maybe your ignorance comes from not having English as your first language.

The question was about the TV company having access to the same footage as the stewards. Which means for them to have that access then all the camera's would have to be transmitting all the time. If not then they would only access a limited amount of on-board camera's just like they do at the moment!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2671422)   #49
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
The question was about the TV company having access to the same footage as the stewards.
Sadly it appears you English is worse then mine. It has totally passed you by that what I was replying originally was that that the stewards wanting to have spy cameras in a specific location doesn't exclude TV to have the option of getting RL pictures from the same camera. All that requires is an additional Transmitter unit (on selected cars) connected to the camera.

Somehow your imagination then warped that into "ALL cars must have SATELLITE links".

And still, even this warped version of reality, is not IMPOSSIBLE as you claimed, just not likely to happen due to costs. Technically it's certainly possible.

In fact, if implemented on selected cars, as today, it would lead to a net cost SAVE, because today, the cars WITH a RL TV feed ALSO have a spy camera, i.e. in effect they have 2 cameras. Reusing the optical hardware for BOTH things would be cheaper... it would SAVE the cost of 1 camera per vehicle.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2671530)   #50
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
touring fan01:

The rules say attack the post, not the poster. Therefore:

Your post is insulting and childish. stedevil's English - as with most of the younger generations from the Scandinavian countries - is far better than many who were born and raised in the UK. Why don't you try to chill out a bit and realise that what they are saying actually makes SENSE to most people reading. How's your Swedish, by the way?

As you say yourself, get real.