Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:50 (Ref:184848)   #26
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry, Dr Stogie

But I honestly don't know what you guys see in that race. It's boring. Now, the Vinght-quatre hueres de Mans, THAT's a race. For a 500-miler, the Daytona 500 or better yet, the late-lameneted Michigan 500 was far better.

F1 decided they didn't need the I500. CART decided they didn't need the I500.

I just don't see what you guys get so worked up over it for - it's not that hot. Some years it's a complete yawn fest. Like watching grass grow. Honestly.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 01:33 (Ref:184853)   #27
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: I'm sorry, Dr Stogie

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rambo

"But I honestly don't know what you guys see in that race."

Blond, Brunettes and redheads. Love them all. IRL/ALMS/F-1. Love them all. Get it? It's racing and we love it all. The 500 is what we grew up on. It is what we think is great. I'm sure the Brits think a sporting event they think is the greatest. And the French have LeMans and the tour. In Europe, people think the world cup is the be all to end all.

In America, it's the 500.

"Now, the Vinght-quatre hueres de Mans, THAT's a race."

The only problem with that race is they don't have it often enough. Maybe not 24 hrs, but they need to have some 1000k races there like in April or sept. It is too great a circuit to use just once a year.

"Some years it's a complete yawn fest."

And some years it gets pretty tiring watching the Audis pummell everyone. Not all leMans races are classics. But it seems that the mechanical variety is enough to make even the lamest 24hr worth seeing.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 03:03 (Ref:184860)   #28
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans

The circuit section is used more than once a year, but closing the roads and stopping the traffic on the road-sections can quickly turn public opinion away...

We don't have a 'classic' race in Britain. About the closest you come is the IOM TT, and that's bikes. Unless you want to count the FFord festival at Brands!

It was great when Le Mans said 'sod off' to the FIA a few years back. It was sad when Tony George said 'Sod off' to Champ Cars. Worse was, that for the first 5 years of the IRL the only race people went to was the I500.

Maybe going round in left-hand circles all the time does something to the brain...
Old 12 Dec 2001, 05:02 (Ref:184880)   #29
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol...any given Grand Prix get higher ratings than 'the 500'... 500 what? It's just another race....and a boring one at that...
Old 12 Dec 2001, 07:59 (Ref:184900)   #30
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The Indy 500 is, well, the Indy 500.
Always has been, always will be.
Boring? Perhaps sometimes. But best not use the word "boring" to describe the 500, and then compare it to a GP. Nothing can be more boring than F1. Besides, any track can provide the occasional yawner.
Yes, the 500 is the 500. It's what turned me on to motorsport in the first place. It is a place that makes champions. A place that makes legends. Just ask AJ, Rick, or any Unser. Ask Roger. He'll tell ya.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 16:50 (Ref:185045)   #31
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans is great, it was greater than now, but is still great.

I watch the I500 but i prefer a series like CART to the IRL.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 20:59 (Ref:185164)   #32
paul_tracyposer
Rookie

paul_tracyposer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy 500

The Indianapolis 500 WAS the pinnacle of OW in the US. Until the IRL tried to steal the show. The race now is a shadow of its former glory and all you dinosaurs still think its the be-all, end-all of racing!!!. When the CART boys came back a few years ago then the race started to be close to what it could be. Tony George almost destroyed the I500 and people still think he's a hero. If it wasnt for the CART teams desire to be at the Indy then it would be just about dead by now. Penske is gone until his sponsorships run out. Penske has put business before sportsmanship and he will be proven a fool soon. The IRL better look to CART to see how to succeed and if CART can get its head office in order the IRL is up ****t creek. Transition is a biatch and Tony George and Roger Penske have bet on a loser.Unless CART does something really stupid(like it has recently), it will surely clean up and the IRL teams that can afford to(thats about 2 teams) will be looking to CART for answers. Chris Pook will be the next Bernie Ecclestone if the Delaware Board moves out of his way... All this self-absorbed American pride **** is tired. Racing is bigger than that and doesnt need it to survive..look at F1 until now...the US is an afterthought in its success.