Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Mar 2007, 04:37 (Ref:1866960)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau
The TLA's themselves may be restrictive and not pass court scrutiny!

mike
And who precisely will challenge their legality while they own a franchise licence slot that could become valueless upon the receipt of the judgement from the courts?

Even if they allegedly ignore some common law rights to achieve recompense for damage between cosignatories. Allegely.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:13 (Ref:1866963)   #27
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
Apparently I dont get it then... So from what you are telling me the 10+ Million $ budgets the big 4 teams (888, Stones, HSV/HRT and FPR) each spent in 06 (if of course that is true) more than 4 million each of that come from the factories? (oops should have said big 5 didnt mean to group those 2..)

Now that the TREC is 6.75 and factories are talking about reducing the love (convenient timing??) perhaps those peers you talk about will have to develope their own business model to suit...

BTW also with all due respect if the factories did tip in as much as some percieve why has Dick been in such bother?? I am sure he would tell you that if had to hang his hat and teams budget on Fords contribution he would have turned his toes up long ago
Mitey Bazil, I am not 100% sure that our great Kiwi brothers have a budget as rich as you portray. I know that Ross and Jim run a tight-ish ship and do very well with what they have.

Many of us on here always knew - and I am sure you have read the great posts on this topic by Prodigy Motorsport's Ross Cadell - that the method of calculating/distributing the manufacturer support to teams was always slightly flawed, and that the TREC was the opportunity to correct that.

By imposing a manufacturer cap on the maximum that a manufacturer may support each team, then you end up with a much more level series playing field. Of course that would have little bearing on the WPS business model, but to the bulk of the teams it sure would have an effect.

What you would see is a levelling of the playing field in two ways: manufacturer support capping - enhancing manufacturer sustainability - and team budget capping, which provide series sustainability. This has a double benefit for moving forward into the future, and would keep the playing field much more even.

At present, the top teams spend their $6.75 million on their 2 cars, and then look around for what to do with the marketing spend with the surplus. How does the TREC help the smaller teams? Well, in effect, it really doesn't...to a point. The top teams get to spend their "Over TREC" funds on marketing and promotion, so they get to be seen to be the sharpest and the blingiest and the bestest of the crop, and they keep getting sponsors who want to be associated with their marketing spend.

Meanwhile, down at Minnow Motorsport, Mr Plankton and Mr Cockabilly are driving the wheels of their cars, still trying to keep up with Team Bling and Team Bestest on the track, let alone with all the trick marketing of the soon-to-arrive new B-Double that has windows in the sides that show an illuminated race car at night, and the soon-to-arrive Grid Girl Powder Room - commonly disguised as a motorhome, and the soon-to-arrive F1-style Bling-Bling-Spiffing new corporate hospitality trailer that pours gin,tonic and ice all from the one gadgetron and has a fresh-is-best "fish tank to canapes" salmon tank and harvester onboard.

When Sponsor Blankcheque wanders into the V8 Supercar paddock, do you think he will go and see Minnow Motorsport first, or pop over to check out Team Bling and Team Bestest's new gin, tonic, and ice dispensers and fresh-is-best salmon tank and harvester that was featured in the last copy of Auto Fiction or Motorsport Dues' editorial comparing Team Bling and Team Bestest's corporate marketing and entertainment devices??

TREC....an interesting concept indeed, in it's current format.

Don't believe the above scenario to be true, then why are four teams meant to be replacing their B-Doubles this year?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1866964)   #28
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently I dont get it then... So from what you are telling me the 10+ Million $ budgets the big 4 teams (888, Stones, HSV/HRT and FPR) each spent in 06 (if of course that is true) more than 4 million each of that come from the factories?

It an impossible one to answer isn't it! I already have 3 warning points for sharing my opinion on how these big numbers are arrived at. If ANY of those teams really are spending anywhere near $10Mil to go racing then I'll take up lawn bowls. They might be reporting that but not spending it...
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1866968)   #29
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
It an impossible one to answer isn't it! I already have 3 warning points for sharing my opinion on how these big numbers are arrived at. If ANY of those teams really are spending anywhere near $10Mil to go racing then I'll take up lawn bowls. They might be reporting that but not spending it...
Not Really, when you have 1st hand knowledge on what a 2car team spends and then look at size of another team(number of all staff), driver salaries( relative to where they are on the grid) equipment, newcars built, marketing exposure and saucy material, merchandise, developement programms(chassi and engine), standard of travel and accomadation, websites, workshop facilities, media and PR people etc etc its not hard to see 10 + million spent.

So its possible to get a warning for mentioning well discussed info that has been used or qouted by mainstream media many times?? Goody, how many points do I get??
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:51 (Ref:1866972)   #30
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
When Sponsor Blankcheque wanders into the V8 Supercar paddock, do you think he will go and see Minnow Motorsport first, or pop over to check out Team Bling and Team Bestest's.
Interesting post but I must say the above qoute freaks me out... If sponsorship blank cheques just casually turn up and walk around the pits looking for somewhere to park I have been in the wrong pits...

As for them not going to minnow motorsport if all teams are capped at 6.75 on the racing side this may give all teams a fairer playing field in performance long term allowing said minnows the chance to race at the front.

Who gives a toss about fancy latte bling if you are winning and your cars on TV. Mr Blank cheque might be more interested in buying Mr Minnow a coffee or 2.

You may be right about Ross and Jimmy but I did not want to leave them out of front runners group, maybe I should ask them??
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:07 (Ref:1866986)   #31
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dont think you blokes get it... Holden dont have any real skin in the game anyway. They provide to teams and drivers of choice in a similar way Ford does but not to the series itself.

So lets consider worse case, both GM and Ford pack up their bat and balls and go home. Teams would need to adjust to the loss of some income and and the TREC may need to be lowered. Will the fans stop going?? Of course they wont. Will Channel 7 say we cancel the TV contract?? Of course not.

Will all the current sponsors run away?? No way, why would they. They are race cars in a formular that works and people like, the factorys even if not contributing directly would still licence logo branding and supporters will still refer to them as Holden and Ford.(and even if they didnt who cares??)
Exactly what I've been saying too bazil. The sport, and more importantly, the businesses involved, are bigger than any one team. Holden have agreements with 7 other teams that would have lawyers on the doorstep so quick their head would spin if they tried to pull out. Not worth it. Not even for HRT. They'd just paint 2 other cars red, anyway...

Quote:
Anyway if Skaifey is out of a gig he could always give WPS a call as there maybe an enduro spot available...
Really? I thought Marcos had that one stitched up?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1866993)   #32
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Having said that... if you parachuted a couple of WP-built VE's amongst the rest of Holden's army, and let them prep the cars, would they go significantly differently to their current speed??

If their acts were together.. you would presume not... ..allegedly
Hey GTR
I'd be willing to see how the GRM boys went if a couple of WP cars (with their extra HP) were parachuted down to Glen Waverley!
In the meantime - I'm off to lawn bowls.........
Old 15 Mar 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1867109)   #33
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a sideline comment - all the criticism aside Tom Walkinshaw's team does build great racing cars that do win championships and he has been around for a long while > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walkinshaw
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:00 (Ref:1867166)   #34
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, and Alan Bond bought us the Americas Cup, still does not make him a good bloke eh?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1867185)   #35
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A company person who is in charge of spending his companies money sponsoring V8 Supercars told someone i know today that he knows of no word on HRT's fate as of this afternoon.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1867189)   #36
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting post but I must say the above qoute freaks me out... If sponsorship blank cheques just casually turn up and walk around the pits looking for somewhere to park I have been in the wrong pits...

As for them not going to minnow motorsport if all teams are capped at 6.75 on the racing side this may give all teams a fairer playing field in performance long term allowing said minnows the chance to race at the front.

Who gives a toss about fancy latte bling if you are winning and your cars on TV. Mr Blank cheque might be more interested in buying Mr Minnow a coffee or 2.

You may be right about Ross and Jimmy but I did not want to leave them out of front runners group, maybe I should ask them??
You do the odd surprise, as your ex-workmate/equity partner will attest!

After being cast off by 00 Motorsport who were too high and mighty, Larko picked up DecoRug literally at the race track.

Its a dilemma when you have two guys you very much admire in our great sport who have fallen out, but hopefully Larko still talks to you. He will back it up.

The execs were wandering around looking a bit lost when one of the Larko boys asked if they were ok.

A great little sponsor to score too!!!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1867206)   #37
Bigem
Rookie

Bigem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am starting to think that this is taking so long because TEGA are bending over backwards to come up with a reason NOT to throw HRT out, and its much harder than they thought it would be!! If HRT are in the wrong and TEGA do nothing but come up with some bull**** excuse, as I suspect will happen, then TEGA will have a possible revolt from the teams who have complied with the terms of the TLA. TEGA leave themselves wide open to litigation if thats the case! Some team owners, especially the more vocal ones have probably already sought legal advice on what path they can go down if TEGA dont do this by their book and how it is written in their book, thats the one that all but 1 entity has complied with!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1867564)   #38
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time for appraisal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Just in from the grapevine.
Apparently, TEGA and it's Legal Eagles are not happy with what HRT have supplied. NO extension has been granted.
A statement will be forthcoming.
I STRESS, this is only a RUMOUR, but from a damn good source.
Billy, time to reappraise your source - downgrade from damn good to [I]please [/I]advise
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1867571)   #39
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in glass houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend
Yeah, and Alan Bond bought us the Americas Cup, still does not make him a good bloke eh?
Bondy like Walkinshaw has had his moments, so have I - you are a legend Mick (keep the closet door closed).
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1867596)   #40
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sponsors kick in the money for lots of reasons and only one of them is the signs and TV. To most the corporate entertainment is a key component. Stop the extras and you stop the money.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1867865)   #41
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcalvert
Sponsors kick in the money for lots of reasons and only one of them is the signs and TV. To most the corporate entertainment is a key component. Stop the extras and you stop the money.
Well if you are a sponsor and all that intersets you is Bling and Lattes please give us a call because "Have we got the deal for you!!"

Corporate does play a role but "Activating" their sponsorship thru marketing, B to B deals, JV's and commercial oppitunitys is what counts.

Dont kid yourself about TV either it plays a pivitol role in large deals.

Make mine a short black thanks...
Old 16 Mar 2007, 01:29 (Ref:1867867)   #42
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend
On that day back in 1983... Bloody oath it did! Go the Aussies!!!
Old 16 Mar 2007, 01:36 (Ref:1867869)   #43
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Final resolution is due today.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1867873)   #44
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
According to today's Herald Sun, TEGA held a teleconference yesterday to decide HRT's future. They expect an announcement today.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1867874)   #45
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Billy, time to reappraise your source - downgrade from damn good to [I]please [/I]advise

Agreed...........Joint statement from both TEGA and HRT is expected on Monday morning.............And not before, so untill then kick back and enjoy F1.

Old 16 Mar 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1867888)   #46
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
According to today's Herald Sun, TEGA held a teleconference yesterday to decide HRT's future. They expect an announcement today.
dont happen to have a link do you?
Old 16 Mar 2007, 02:49 (Ref:1867894)   #47
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt_rulz01
dont happen to have a link do you?
No I don't.
But if you slip down to your local Newsagent and hand over $1.10(GST included) for the Herald Sun and open it up to page 103, look down to the bottom of the page close to the middle, you can read it for yourself
Old 16 Mar 2007, 03:32 (Ref:1867901)   #48
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't bother, what you said was pretty much the entire article anyway. Was only a couple of para's.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 16 Mar 2007, 03:33 (Ref:1867902)   #49
Just Do It!
Veteran

What if you are like me and V8's rule??.....it's a ruddy long swim!!
Old 16 Mar 2007, 03:55 (Ref:1867911)   #50
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8's rule
Joint statement from both TEGA and HRT is expected on Monday morning
If that's the case then HRT are not going anywhere. They'd hardly make a joint statement confirming they've been kicked out.
Closed Thread