Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:27 (Ref:693434)   #26
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shall I do my rant again?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:54 (Ref:693472)   #27
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
2nd try..
Wow, what a corner.

That could be '82 Fab, Group C started in 83, but the cars were allowed to start in 82, kinda like an interim year, much the same as 04 will be an interim year, before the full implementation of the new rules in 05
Old 20 Aug 2003, 17:28 (Ref:693509)   #28
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
yeah.

What sort of reaction in the public and the press was there when they built Posrche Curves bit in 72? Anyone knwo the answer?
Thats a very valid point as 20 years on we now have clearly accepted the Porsche curves as an integral part of the track.

Not that I want any changes other than removing the chicanes (including the one by the dunlop bridge which is now irrelavent due to the changes down to the esses)
Old 20 Aug 2003, 18:29 (Ref:693577)   #29
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this does happen then it wiil be a very sad sad and I for one will shead a tear.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 18:42 (Ref:693591)   #30
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's now look at the threat realistically.

How big is the threat?

And what are the chances that this will just go away as it has done before. High i suspect.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:693614)   #31
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yeah.

What sort of reaction in the public and the press was there when they built Posrche Curves bit in 72? Anyone knwo the answer?
I read about this in many magazines of that time and everybody liked the (then) new Porsche section. It was highly praised indeed, and (then) considered start-of-the-art.

I also recall reading public statements by the ACO saying that the Porsche curves were build with large radii to preserve the high-speed characteristics of the circuit, and to present a challenge to the drivers. This was printed in just about any motorsport magazine/annual review.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:49 (Ref:693651)   #32
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is geting to be scary. Really, because the Hunaudières straigh as been part of the track since Le Mans 24 hour race ever started. I don't see how a bunch of businesses that have stores on the Hunaudières could ever complain enough to get the ACO to once change the layout "again". If it does happen, I will be so "****ed off". The race has used the Hunaudières straight way before any of us were around, and even before the stupid complaining store owners were around also. And what is this I hear of some trees being cleared just after Tertre Rouge? I hope they are not the famous trees at the start of the Hunaudières straight! I've got to go now before I get too angry.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:55 (Ref:693661)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't understand the local government. I assume that the 24h generates a big cashflow (hotels, campings, restaurants, etc) to this city/region every year. Without the 24h I would say who/where/what the f$#@k is Le Mans!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:21 (Ref:693678)   #34
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I don't understand the local government. I assume that the 24h generates a big cashflow (hotels, campings, restaurants, etc) to this city/region every year. Without the 24h I would say who/where/what the f$#@k is Le Mans!
That is very good point
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:57 (Ref:693772)   #35
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And so eloquently put too
Old 20 Aug 2003, 22:01 (Ref:693778)   #36
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats true, one wonders just how much the raceis worth to the area economically, one of the biggest sporting events in the world means lots of tourists cash.

But isn't it the duty of governments these days to screw up everything?
Old 21 Aug 2003, 08:30 (Ref:694073)   #37
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm, sounds like Zandvoort. Maybe we can give the drivers remote controlled cars and reduce the circuit to 2 chicanes, so that those lazy f@#^$#@ can sit in the rain on their balcony all year without having to put earplugs in. These people only come to their holiday-homes when they know for sure there's a race, so they can complain again. These are the same people who always visit their family monday morning at 8 and make me arrive late at my work....or leave their caravan in front of their house for 3 months and then complain about the lack of parking space.

Last edited by EliseGT1; 21 Aug 2003 at 08:33.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:52 (Ref:694261)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I agree.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:41 (Ref:694934)   #39
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt that the 24 hour race generates huge publicity for France in general and Le Mans in particular. But the French being human would quite like to have their cake and eat it.

Personally I wouldn't be too much against re-routing the public road and keeping the existing tarmac for the race. I doubt that this is practical though.

FG
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:04 (Ref:695162)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1

Personally I wouldn't be too much against re-routing the public road and keeping the existing tarmac for the race. I doubt that this is practical though.

FG
That's a twist? I had assumed that the ACO would be re-routing the track, not the public road being re-routed.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:51 (Ref:695258)   #41
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Pretty sure it's 82 and the 956's first outing (and win)
Quote:
That could be '82 Fab, Group C started in 83, but the cars were allowed to start in 82, kinda like an interim year, much the same as 04 will be an interim year, before the full implementation of the new rules in 05
You're both right of course ! Silly me again, I mixed 1981 and 1982

Last edited by Fab; 22 Aug 2003 at 08:52.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:56 (Ref:695261)   #42
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
I also recall reading public statements by the ACO saying that the Porsche curves were build with large radii to preserve the high-speed characteristics of the circuit, and to present a challenge to the drivers. This was printed in just about any motorsport magazine/annual review.
Except maybe for the left curve at Karting : the decline goes to the outside (instead of inside, as all the curves goes)... very tricky, especially in the night or slippy conditions... lots of accidents each yer here.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:57 (Ref:695263)   #43
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Don't get it wrong : the local governement (Le Mans town ,La Sarthe Departement, Pays de la Loier Région) are the main supports of the track.

The problems come from owners local union...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:00 (Ref:695267)   #44
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
There is no doubt that the 24 hour race generates huge publicity for France in general and Le Mans in particular. But the French being human would quite like to have their cake and eat it.

FG
Too expensive : if something is rebuilt, it will be the track, the Track SEM (Société d'économie mixte = society hal owned by publics establishement and half private).
Old 22 Aug 2003, 17:38 (Ref:695817)   #45
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Too expensive : if something is rebuilt, it will be the track, the Track SEM (Société d'économie mixte = society hal owned by publics establishement and half private).
I agree, it would be expensive and is very unlikely. But, there are several roundabouts on the public road that have been built off the line of "Les Hunaudieres" in order to preserve the track. But it's pretty far fetched, but then it is France!

FG
Old 22 Aug 2003, 19:21 (Ref:695912)   #46
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what you said FAB, do I understand it that the track is half owned by goverment (Is that local or national ?) and the other half private owned ?

Is there a major shareholder ? If not who has controling vote ?

Simon
Old 23 Aug 2003, 16:46 (Ref:696663)   #47
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
From what you said FAB, do I understand it that the track is half owned by goverment (Is that local or national ?) and the other half private owned ?

Is there a major shareholder ? If not who has controling vote ?

Simon
Pretty compicated question ; I'll try to be simple.

There's two parts in the great circuit :
- the inside private track owned by the private SEM (mixt owned society), this part beeing only modified by the ACO power
- the open roads (that you can use with your car any day): this part could suffer important modifications, and is owned by the State (les Hunaudières) and the small towns around (Arnage mainly).