Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2024, 15:31 (Ref:4219589)   #26
Matador
Veteran

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Trying to think of a Toyota driver who finished up improving his reputation or even not having it decline.
Pretty sure their bank balances were much improved though.

Kamui Kobayashi.

Timo Glock (although Felipe Massa might have some differing thoughts on that).
Old 16 Jul 2024, 17:16 (Ref:4219601)   #27
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Ralf have a best?

I got the impression he was one of those drivers that needed to have a perfect weekend (Pole----->Clean start----->Lead from the front and not be challenged) to get the win, you cannot point to a great overtake or amazing charge through the field or brilliant performance in the wet that seperates the truly great from the merely OK

And even a couple of his wins, Canada and Brazil, he finished ahead of his brother and I got the impression that if it was anyone else but Ralf, Michael would've had a lunge and got by, but he didn't want to risk contact with his brother over anyone else so settled for 2nd behind him

He was just the epitome of a boring, run of the mill driver that extracted performance from the car when he had it but couldn't make up the difference in a bad car imo
Especially when you contrasted him to his Williams team mate who was Mr Entertainment, whether he was having a good race or bad lol

Good for him he's able to live his life properly as himself now, I wish him every happiness and hopefully no more attacking Lewis Hamilton for being an ally, which now seems even more of a bizarre opinion to have.
Old 16 Jul 2024, 19:19 (Ref:4219617)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His last pole I believe came at the 2005 Japanese GP where, if not for the train he created, we would not have been treated to two of the best drives through the field (by Alonso and Kimi) I have ever had the joy of watching live.

But jokes aside, that pole at home for Toyota was massive for them!
Old 16 Jul 2024, 23:49 (Ref:4219633)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Did Ralf have a best?
World Championship level whinging expert about any team principal or journalist that dares to think his nephew is any less an F1 driver than his brother…

With the benefit of recency, this is arguably probably his best…
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Jul 2024, 08:34 (Ref:4219660)   #30
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He was a good driver. Won a few races. Obviously always in the shadow of his brother.

His latest announcement is not of any great interest to me, but it makes a nice change from him moaning about Haas or suggesting that his nephew is the best choice to replace Hamilton at Mercedes etc.
Old 18 Jul 2024, 08:29 (Ref:4219769)   #31
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
For me at BMW there were times when Ralf was unstoppable, he had amazing speed, but his career did seem to fall off when he went to Toyota and realised the car was never going to be a winner.

He was blindingly quick at times, and I hope in his "new" life he finds a happiness he seemed to lack a lot of his time in F1.
Old 18 Jul 2024, 09:50 (Ref:4219777)   #32
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
A shame that it takes retirement and the passage of time to announce such a thing however it’s a further shame that it’s even an announcement at all. I hope it’s a weight off his shoulders and he can be more himself and fair play for having the courage to do that.
Old 19 Jul 2024, 11:21 (Ref:4219849)   #33
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good for Ralf for finally being able to express his true self. This issue was intimated back in his Williams days and quickly squashed in the Forum. It's a sad commentary on our world that something that was rumored only sees the light many years later. Love conquers fear in the end.
Old 19 Jul 2024, 15:04 (Ref:4219866)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A shame that it takes retirement and the passage of time to announce such a thing however it’s a further shame that it’s even an announcement at all. I hope it’s a weight off his shoulders and he can be more himself and fair play for having the courage to do that.
This is my thinking.
Old 20 Jul 2024, 07:41 (Ref:4219941)   #35
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I never heard any rumours personally, because such things are not of interest to me,

Being honest it is news because F1 is a very male sport, especially driving, and to simply try and say it isn't news defeats the object of erm news.