Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 May 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2472493)   #26
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Are you not being a bit too hard on someone by comparing their first time out in a car with the amount of proven experience/ability/hours behind the wheel of other Chevy drivers?
Probably, but did himself set the objective of beating his team mates on his first outing. He should have started with something a bit simpler - like turning up to the drivers briefing on time

Last edited by Hazard; 31 May 2009 at 09:01.
Old 31 May 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2472540)   #27
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think the Fosters track is neither better nor worse than the GP track, but I would like to see both used now and again. Besides, when they use the Fosters track we get to see Kickerbrook at full speed.
How about using the full circuit without any chicane
Old 31 May 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2472554)   #28
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
He should have started with something a bit simpler - like turning up to the drivers briefing on time

I think this only shows how Nash is unexperienced and naive. When you're at your debut, you always have to claim that you're the underdog, because if you say 'I wanna be on pace with Plato on my first outing' some will laugh, some will be curious, some will believe you. Then you qualify out of the top ten and it's a disaster for you, your image and your sponsors.
Nash still has a lot to learn...
Old 31 May 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2472558)   #29
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It interesting to notice that most drivers in the BTCC structurally overestimate their chances on winning. Nash is quite an extreme example, but for instance Chilton claims to aim for a podium after his first point this year or Leason who still believes his diesel-BMW will be 'very competitive' this year.
While in the WTCC, the STCC or other champiosnhips you more often read that 'things will be difficult', 'the others will be strong', etc.
Old 31 May 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2472568)   #30
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
I don't know what it depends on. I suppose it's just a matter of people and their personality. Also, in the Wtcc, if you're a works driver you'll never say 'we're gonna win it all'.
Old 31 May 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2472614)   #31
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RWD gives Turk the win over Plato.

Jackson's puncure means Nash acheives half of his goal
Old 31 May 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2472642)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Jackson
Old 31 May 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2472649)   #33
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75742

I didn't realise you could have 2 first wins in a season. Unless I've missed something after Thruxton
Old 31 May 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2472654)   #34
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75742

I didn't realise you could have 2 first wins in a season. Unless I've missed something after Thruxton
TcT have copied the same mistake. http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3558 Look I know I'll get in trouble for this but it appears that TcT are relying on other sites for their news! Even when not stated.
Old 31 May 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2472657)   #35
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Autosport have fixed their site, but the evidence remains

http://twitter.com/autosportnews/status/1979947136
Old 31 May 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2472689)   #36
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
TcT have copied the same mistake. http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3558 Look I know I'll get in trouble for this but it appears that TcT are relying on other sites for their news! Even when not stated.
Nice to see that you're still on your TcT which hunt Alfa Fan

And yes, we rely on other sites in some cases, as we do not have the capacity to have personel on all championships. TcT is more or less a non profit site as you guys know.
Old 31 May 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2472702)   #37
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, but shouldn't you credit your sources then? Because the impression from your site is that you do do your own reports.
Old 31 May 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2472711)   #38
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
It is their own report. The article is not the same word for word, just the facts were sourced from Autosport - including the erroneous fact being that it was Turkey's first win (unfortunately).

Most sites sources are just everyone elses press releases. I'm sure TCT will be more careful in future though

In other news - Colin just took his third win of the season. BMW now lead the British Touring Car Championship with an independant team!

Reverse grid of top 7 gives James Thompson pole.
Old 31 May 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2472715)   #39
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see Turks winning this thing. One day, anyway. He is one of the best out there

Can't say I was greatly entertained by that race, though. The battle for 3rd was interesting to watch but it was pretty easy to predict the outcome. Hopefully the reverse grid will give us something a bit more exciting in race 3
Old 31 May 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2472721)   #40
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I can see Turks winning this thing. One day, anyway. He is one of the best out there

Can't say I was greatly entertained by that race, though. The battle for 3rd was interesting to watch but it was pretty easy to predict the outcome. Hopefully the reverse grid will give us something a bit more exciting in race 3
Always. The first two races are just dry runs for race three usually
Old 31 May 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2472728)   #41
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
Yes, but shouldn't you credit your sources then? Because the impression from your site is that you do do your own reports.
Well young Alfa Fan, as news sites on the net function today, sometimes stories are based on a combination of other sources, as this report.

If the news are exclusive to a site, we source them, on the contrary to the majority of other sites.

But anyhow, lets return to the BTCC discussion and not Alfa Fan's personal problems with us.
Old 31 May 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2472766)   #42
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well that was a bit better

Great defensive driving by Matt there to keep back Rob but could he get a penalty for punting off Adam? I didn't really get a good look at it
Old 31 May 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2472767)   #43
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
And Johan, let me add, we are a source ourselves very often. Truth is, when looking for a story, you look at a number of websites (it's called research) and you re-elaborate and write your own story.
That's journalism nowadays, if you're not ok with it you can't read anyone...!
Old 31 May 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2472771)   #44
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Thommo takes race three, but Turkington dropped out of the points as Matt Neal took a strong third and so leaves Oulton Park with a two point lead in the championship.

Support races since race 2 have been manic though - all finishing under red flags. The Ginetta G50 not being classed as an event in fact - with a nasty collision for former BTCC drivers Carl Breeze & Mark Proctor - both being taken to the medical centre, but should be okay.
Old 31 May 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2472873)   #45
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Support races since race 2 have been manic though - all finishing under red flags. The Ginetta G50 not being classed as an event in fact - with a nasty collision for former BTCC drivers Carl Breeze & Mark Proctor - both being taken to the medical centre, but should be okay.
Indeed, happened right in front of me along the Avenue, very very nasty accident. We're very fortunate that both Carl and Mark are ok, it certainly took a long time to extract Mark from his car, but as always an excellent job done by the marshalls and track team.
Old 31 May 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2473009)   #46
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is shaping up to be a great season in the BTCC - great to see James Thompson back & winning, a definite championship contender...
Old 1 Jun 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2473028)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some really good clean BTCC racing today, with star performances from Turkington, Adam, Thompson and Collard in particular. Thompson probably deserves to be singled out for the most praise, despite benefitting from the reverse grid, as it was so clearly a BMW day due to the heat. Collard came from 20th to 4th in race 3, with a fair share of outright overtaking moves, all of them pretty clean.

The support races were largely a different story. I'm not sure how Proctor managed to hit Breeze at full speed when the rest of the pack managed to avoid him. Ginetta Jrs were cleaner than Saturday, and you expect contact from such young racers. The Moores could be the next big racing dynasty - Nigel's already a star in Sportscars, Daniel and especially Sarah are shining here, and there are apparently two more on the way....
Old 1 Jun 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2473187)   #48
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post

The support races were largely a different story. I'm not sure how Proctor managed to hit Breeze at full speed when the rest of the pack managed to avoid him.
When you see it on TV, Proctor had no chance, 2 cars side by side in front of him avoided Breeze at the very last moment, Proctor could do nothing but stand on the brakes and hold on.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2473292)   #49
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof14 View Post
When you see it on TV, Proctor had no chance, 2 cars side by side in front of him avoided Breeze at the very last moment, Proctor could do nothing but stand on the brakes and hold on.
Agreed, very unfortunate for Proctor. Freke was interviewed and he said the advice to drivers approaching an accident is to aim for where the accident is and the accident will move away from you. Perhaps Proctor was doing this, but unfortunately Breeze's car was already still?

Re BTCC, I found it refreshing from Neal in R2 that when contact had been made with Plato, he backed off to avoid taking advantage / causing more damage. He also seemed apologetic after R3 as well following the contact with Adam.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2473458)   #50
smokinjo
Rookie

Hong Kong
smokinjo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no penalty for matt neal ?