Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Feb 2001, 16:19 (Ref:62875)   #26
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing new under the sun

Somtimes between 1967 to 1980 there was a gay team racing in F1. Most everybody working with that team was gay and quit open about it. Even the sponsor was in on it. For the live of me I can't remember the name of the team. Must be my age or something, I think it is called old timers something or others.
I would hope that today we would rate a driver for his performance rather then his sexual persuason.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 22:11 (Ref:62951)   #27
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: There's been others in the past...

Quote:
Originally posted by enzo
According to a gay lady F1 photographer friend (she worked freelance, but had a contract with Marlboro at the time), she spent a lot of after-race time with a certain top driver, as she felt that she didn't have to worry about his making a pass at her. He story was backed up by her girlfriend of the time.

The driver ? Senna!
Oh, please. You don't think that that could possibly have anything to do with the fact that she was a lesbian, do you? I don't have the habit of making passes to lesbians either, as I know they're not interested (and I respect their sexual preference enough to not try to "convert" them). That doesn't make me gay!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 23:40 (Ref:62972)   #28
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Senna is dead, I think it matters even less as to what he was doing with whom than it does about whichever pilot we're discussing here.

As to what happens when Cans of Worms start being prised open, you can look at Bill Clinton, Forgotten but not Gone, for all the reasons you might need to request that Cans of Worms should remain closed.

P.S. I know who it is and I still don't care.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 00:22 (Ref:62982)   #29
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Bill???

I didn't know Bill Clinton was gay!! I thought Monika was a girl and he had this cigar and...............Wow!! We Aussis are really behind the times with all the good news!!
Old 7 Feb 2001, 03:47 (Ref:63026)   #30
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure he's not an F1 pilot - can you see the car that would be wide enough to fit that lard butt into it? He makes Mansell look slim and trim!

Old 7 Feb 2001, 05:36 (Ref:63040)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Who gives a Sh*&...

Old 7 Feb 2001, 07:14 (Ref:63055)   #32
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Monika in an F1 car?

Let me get this straight - Bill is gay, Monika is a guy, and you were thinking of fitting him (Monika) into an F1 car? Like Minardi?? I think the tyres would burst.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 07:49 (Ref:63061)   #33
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All!

I think CATMAN raises an interesting point. I see there is a division between those who want to know and those who do want to know. Calls about protecting his privacy etc...

Pant to all that. There is a bigger issue here.. All Formula One drivers are of a type, Straight, White and middle class. I for one would like to see a coloured driver in Formula One. I am sure there are guys out there with the necessary qualifications. If we put a different slant on F1’s pink cover-up. Say there was a black driver who wore make-up to look like a white man for the sake of a teams sponsors. This would out rage every person on the list as well as black rights campaigners.

I am not gay myself, but I am friendly with quite a few homosexuals. One of them in particular was very sober when I first met him but as I got to know him better his camp side came out. I think it was terrible that he had to hide his true nature.

The best thing for F1 would be for the pink driver to come out. It would be a triumph. We are in the year 2001 for Christ sakes.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 08:09 (Ref:63062)   #34
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And CATMAN will be their team spokesman
Old 7 Feb 2001, 09:18 (Ref:63067)   #35
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Coloured??

Tris, when you say white, do you include Hispanics or do they qualify as coloured? I mean some Italians are quite dark, certainly not white, then there are the South Americans, Spanish, Portuguese, and Thai (Prince Bira) who I don't think qualify as white. Fangio certainly wasn't white.
In all honesty, I think we should keep the race (colour) issue out of our discussions. Not because it may offend someone, but because you might end up making a bloody fool of yourself.
I have endeavoured to make this thread into a lighthearted thread, but it seems there are those who are hell bent on fanning the flames. This thread has nothing to do with F1, and to some, certain ill conceived words are starting to become inadvertantly offensive to others.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 09:30 (Ref:63068)   #36
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"So why is F1 hiding a Gay driver?"...is that it???
Old 7 Feb 2001, 09:57 (Ref:63076)   #37
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valave bounce...
My argument has got nothing to do with the semantics of racial classification.

To my mind racial prejudice is just as bad as homophobia. Both are prejudices. To cover up race is as bad (to my mind) as cover up sexuality. Yes I think the treatment of a gay driver could be treated with a light heart, but is one prejudice not as bad as the next?

I personally see no reason for a driver not to be publicly gay.... Formula One is adverting and sex sells. What I feel is that there is an image problem in F1 or is it an advertising problem?
Old 7 Feb 2001, 10:00 (Ref:63078)   #38
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best thing for F1 would be for the pink driver to come out. It would be a triumph

I knew it, all them blokes that ride Triumphs are gay. And it's an English bike too!
Old 7 Feb 2001, 10:22 (Ref:63084)   #39
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Tris, I know you didn't, and you did not mean to offend. I just wanted to say that when people bring in these subjects, they could inadvertently make Faux Pas that could offend without even realising it. I don't mean to offend you, and I really am sorry if I did. Maybe I am just being too bloody pedantic. (Is that someone who has a foot fetish?)
Old 7 Feb 2001, 11:48 (Ref:63108)   #40
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah??........why do FIA want to cover up these gay drivers???

if those gays around the know that there are gay drivers, then they are going to follow the sport closely, that would only do F1 good coz it widens the appeal of this sport
Old 7 Feb 2001, 13:06 (Ref:63142)   #41
Kalevi
Rookie

Finland
Kalevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Interesting topic

I'm looking at this photo and wondering if there are more gay people in f1 than I thought:

Old 7 Feb 2001, 14:39 (Ref:63158)   #42
Kalevi
Rookie

Finland
Kalevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Interesting topic

I'm looking at this photo and wondering if there are more gay people in f1 than I thought:

Old 7 Feb 2001, 18:36 (Ref:63191)   #43
Willie the Pimp
Rookie

Willie the Pimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Kalevi.. Your in it now buddy

Kalevi..
Your surly not saying uncle Bernie and Schumi are lovers?
If i was you 'and im glad im not' i would appologise
pretty sharpist.. Unless you like waking up with a
horse's head beside you.. I kid you not!

Keep watchin 4 the men in black..
Batta Bean Batta Boom.

Best WTP.

Old 7 Feb 2001, 19:03 (Ref:63200)   #44
sweetbaby
Rookie

sweetbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
such is life

On a serious note,
Surly it should be down to the best person for the job....
Obviously in an ideal world, if you got the skill you should get the job
Unfortunately this is not always the case,
as it is easier for someone with money or a racing family background.

I'm sure we could all write volumes on this subject
but it's unlikly to change a thing....is it?

Old 7 Feb 2001, 19:14 (Ref:63201)   #45
Liz
Veteran

There is a strange presumption, or seems to be, emerging, that we could recognize "them" if "they" were not compelled somehow by F1 to disguise themselves as "one of us."

Actually there's no way to know how many of "us" are gay, come to that, nor does it matter. Though I do notice some people feel compelled to deny that they personally are gay, while saying there's nothing wrong with it. Why is that?
[Edited by Liz on 7th February 2001]
Old 7 Feb 2001, 20:06 (Ref:63223)   #46
Willie the Pimp
Rookie

Willie the Pimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im not chicken

Liz..mmm
Wot are we gonna do with ya..

It's as simple as this I opnely admit "I like Chicken"
That does not mean i am a Chicken..

I think yer trying to say people like Tris and wot
he posted " , I am not gay myself, but I am friendly with quite a few homosexuals, that Tris is in denial
and is gay himself well again i will quote him
, Pants to all that. ,

Keep wiffin the glue.
Best WTP.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 20:34 (Ref:63231)   #47
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think that all this conjecture is a waste of server space as it seemingly makes little differance to a drivers speed and ability. I to know several gay people, all of whom are amazed at the attitude of a lot of people they meet, they are also often down to earth and relaxed with themselves, maybe all F1 drivers are gay ??? Who cares ???

The comment before about the Lady and Senna could also mean that she felt easy by his side as he was a Gentleman, and would not dream of making an unwanted pass. Something lacking in many people nowdays.

Perhaps the moderators could close this thread before it get out of hand and religion is also drawn into the discussion.

Simon
Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:07 (Ref:63244)   #48
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SL, I don't think anyone has suggested that the issue is whether anyone's sexual proclivity has any bearing upon their performance in a racecar. It would be idiotic even to suggest it.
The issue is as introduced by Catman, (and I paraphrase) "given the general levela of tolerance in Western Society today, why not be open about it?"

I admit to being an inveterate gossip. The fact is that F1 drivers are public figures whose lives are open to public scrutiny. A driver's sexuality may not be a "Racing Issue" per se, but it is an issue about the "Culture" of F1. Many threads on this Forum have discussed the appeal of the Sport, and the consensus has been that as much as we love the cars and the racing, we love the glamour, tradition and sophistication of its participants as well. Other series have better racing, but none has the cachet. The personal lives of these "stars" are part of the appeal. I can fully understand why the driver in question would wish to keep this a private matter and I will respect that choice. But I defy anyone who has posted on this thread to look honestly within themselves and deny that they haven't even for a moment wondered just who this might be.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:18 (Ref:63250)   #49
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris
We are in the year 2001 for Christ sakes.
Too late SL, religion is already on the table.

Tris, I dont understand why you think it would be good if a gay driver "outs" himself. I dont know why anyone of any sexual orientation would want to make an issue of it, (except Irvine ), especially one who must remain as focused as an F1 driver must.

Why should anyone feel obligated to reaveal personal, intimate information, Gay or not?

I don't care if people want to come out of the closet, but please people, can't we at least shut the bedroom door?

Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:38 (Ref:63257)   #50
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

maybe all F1 drivers are gay ???
Simon

wow... now there's hook.

but on a thoughtful note: at least we can be assured our young homosexual is an athletic specimen and not some boring old downtown queen.