Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Dec 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1174568)   #26
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty sure that it's been said that Lavin is firm for 2005. (including PT) I think answer "A" is correct.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1177393)   #27
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this article on this interview on the champweb.net spanish forum.

http://www.atodamakina.com/entrevistas.html

If you spanish its a pretty good read.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 05:58 (Ref:1177402)   #28
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
It really gives an insight onto what Michel's plans are for next year, he flat out says that id he doesnt get a ride wher he can win then he will leave and that at Rusport things weren't even and that theteam preferred AJ over him. i would putit through one of those internet translators but i couldnt do that to my languange . Well i hope that everyone can get a read at this.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1177563)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always got the impression that RuSport favoured AJ, as he was the orignal driver and the one they planned to move up with, and Michel was added at the last minute. I don't think 2004 reflects fairly on Michel's capabilities.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1177578)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So where could he go for 2005 that will allow him an opportunity to be competitive.
Forsythe ?
Rocketsports (does Guy SMith have a contract for 2005) ?
Old 12 Dec 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1177689)   #31
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting snippits there, thanks for them.

I still think it's a bit early to be worried...the teams/drivers are probably enjoying a bit of a holiday at the moment and are prepared to get down to the nitty gritty of contract negoications in the new year.

Good for him though stating that he wants to be in a team that can win, I hope he gets it...... Either in a Forsythe car, a Forsythe satallite team, Rocketsports, Wiggins, a 3rd PKV car....well, it's quite a long list, if you believe in rumours, isn't it!

Last edited by codename_47; 12 Dec 2004 at 17:52.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1178848)   #32
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Accoding to Esmas.com, (Televisa's website) Jourdain is close to finalizing a deal that he will announce shortly and by altest christmas. http://www.esmas.com/deportes/otrosdeportes/412598.html
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:27 (Ref:1178902)   #33
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quick link to translation for those of us who are Spanish ignoramouses:
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

It's both interesting and disturbing that Jourdain mentions both Busch and the IRL. I tend to think the IRL option wouldn't happen because of Fernandez's own sponsorship problems (see RM's recent SpeedTV article). At least he has multiple CC options.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1179191)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Conversely, Snrub, with both Jourdain and Fernandez in it, IRL may get an improved Mexican TV deal.

I hope he stays in Champ Car though - he's a good driver to have on board.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1179269)   #35
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
That's true, but wouldn't it seem risky for Mexican sponsors to go in a series where they "might" get some coverage compared to CC where they get coverage and are involved in the world's biggest race and another hugely successful race?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:30 (Ref:1179271)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely, I agree.

What I would say, however, is that it is extremely likely Brian Barnhart and Tony George have recognised this same point - they may well be working hard to ensure a decent Mexican TV package - which would benefit them.

Interesting to see how this pans out.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1179296)   #37
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In 2006 F1 should be in Mexico though - Mexican sponsors might be keen to plan ahead for that, especially as Dominguez is likely to be racing by then, and Adrian is (sad to say) coming towards the end of his racing days.

If Jourdain and Fernandez are both in the IRL, they'll get good coverage. No doubt about it - TG and BB seem more capable of arranging a good deal in a short space of time than OWRS' managers.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1179457)   #38
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
If Jourdain and Fernandez are both in the IRL, they'll get good coverage. No doubt about it - TG and BB seem more capable of arranging a good deal in a short space of time than OWRS' managers.
Except at the moment Fernandez is not even sure HE'LL be racing next year after the Tecate pull-out, so trying to lure another driver over could be a bit beyond him at the moment.

I hope he'll find a Champcar ride opening up for him before too long.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1179465)   #39
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I think if Mexico gets its old coverage back with TV Azteca, a major network channel in most places of Mexico, then there would be no problem in securing a ride for Michel, the problem is that what kind off ride will it be has blatantly said that he will only go where he can win.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1179914)   #40
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernandez won't return to CART, he's running at least 2 IRL entries next year and may even feel ready to retire, after a season far more glorious than he could have hoped for in CART.

It's early days for the IRL to set up a good Mexican TV deal. They won't sell out on their US fans by running a race in Mexico though.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1180341)   #41
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
They won't sell out on their US fans by running a race in Mexico though.
:confused: ...but going to Japan which is in a radically different time zone ensures that the IRL stays true to US fans?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1180354)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Japanese race is a necessity for the engine manufacturers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see IndyCar in Mexico in the future.

Not sure where NITram gets his stance on this from.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1180356)   #43
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Even without that race (which, despite being in a country with no oval tradition, and despite only being added to please Honda and Toyota (at CART's expense, and OWRS badly need more ovals), is fairly well-attended), the IRL still has 15 US races, where CART only has 13 in all of North America. Anyway, if the IRL running there is a sell-out, surely CARt going there in the first place was as well?

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 15 Dec 2004 at 18:15.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1181212)   #44
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
When someone says "the IRL woudln't sell out like that" the implication is either that CC already did sell out and/or that the IRL has some sort of moral fibre that makes it superior. I do not agree with either.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1181911)   #45
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that long ago ChampCars was a US-based series with 2 races in Canada and 1 in Australia. It was only after that that the increasing amount of non-US drivers and short-termist marketing strategies lead to races in other markets (Brazil, Japan, Europe, Mexico, of which only the latter has proved stable). All the while US fans have seen the series lose its roots - virtually no ovals, virtually no US drivers, a new points system, no chassis/engine competition (not all of this is CART's fault directly, but none of it helps the series) - and it's hardly surprising that NASCAR has such a big lead, and that the US Grand Prix and Indy 500 are the most popular OW events in the US by far.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1182068)   #46
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not for long IMO - I am too lazy to check the attendance for the US Grand Prix - but I do not think that it is that well attended, of course the F1 touring fans are all there. As for the 500, it has seen reduced attendance steadily since TG determined that he was bigger than the race.