Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 28 Sep 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2299673)   #26
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for everything, PLN.

http://alex62.typepad.com/.shared/im...5/newman81.jpg

jimclark
Old 28 Sep 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2299754)   #27
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Oooopppssss...

jimclark
Old 28 Sep 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2299821)   #28
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Newman RIP

Paul Newman is best known, of course, as an actor and single seater team owner, but for me he will always remain in my memory as a part of the dramatic 1979 Le Mans that was my first ever motor race visit, taking an eventual runner up spot.

Of course, he also won sportscar series in the US and competed frequently in the Daytona 24 hour race.

RIP Paul and thanks for making a life long sportscar racing fan of me.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 06:29 (Ref:2300035)   #29
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was particularly glad for Wilson's recent win at belle Isle: somehow a farewell gift.
RIP Paul, a long time it will take to find another like him.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2300071)   #30
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that I have taken from Paul Newman's life is that we only get one, so make the best of it and enjoy it as much as possible, helping others enjoy their lives as well.

What a great life. I hope that my life will be as fulfilling as Mr. Newman's was.

Old 29 Sep 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2300564)   #31
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a legend this guy was

RIP

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 30 Sep 2008, 01:19 (Ref:2300799)   #32
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin on Mario and Newman's relationship on Indycar site......they were together a long time.....

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12632
Old 30 Sep 2008, 05:27 (Ref:2300862)   #33
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul was a great supporter of indy car racing. I hope Lola, the chassis constructor his team used, will be allowed to compete in the 2011 IndyCar Series.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 00:26 (Ref:2302430)   #34
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was just too cool that Paul would come and race at my home track: "beautiful" Nelson Ledges, a true mudpit of a track (great fun to drive, but the facilities were below primitive!) and of course I still think of it as my racing "home" 33 years later.

One of my most treasured pictures is one I took of him walking away, helmet in hand, in the rain after driving his Datsun 510 rather directly into the support for the bridge over the front straight at the (I think) 1977 Cumberland Nationals. From there to LeMans just a few years later...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2302720)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A true legend of both motorsport and acting. I found it quite interesting that his obituary in the Telegraph was almost as much about his racing as it was about his acting career!

RIP Paul.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 02:05 (Ref:2305769)   #36
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Letterman-Paul Newman-Tribute-Sept-29-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBMrz1DmXc

More about the car Dave mentioned

Quote:
One day I offered to give him a ride to rehearsals. So I asked the teamster who was driving to swing by Paul's apartment. He became visibly nervous. So Paul got in the car and suddenly, having driven perfectly normally until this point, my driver took off like an absolute lunatic at 80 miles an hour through the centre of Chicago. Because in his book, he's not only driving Paul Newman the movie star, but also Paul Newman the racing-car driver. And Paul's just sitting there calmly, reading the front page of the New York Times. He continued casually perusing the headlines as we ducked and dived through the centre of Chicago. We finally screeched to a halt and Paul put down his paper and looked over his little specs and just said, 'Nice driving'. He was so cool.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/...paulnewman.usa

Definitely a true legend and one of my heroes
Old 8 Oct 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2306540)   #37
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tribute from an author I like. This is a great kid story and totally PL.

Read the post under dateline "CarrollBlog 9.30"

http://www.jonathancarroll.com/blog1/2008/09/
Old 16 Oct 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2314130)   #38
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motominded
R.I.P. Paul

Second overall in 1979 Le Mans 24 hour.

Datsun and Newman - One of the greatest team/driver combos ever.

Nissan wants to advertise the Skyline R30 Silhouette.....Get Paul Newman

I don't recollect PLN driving with BRE (210) or Bob Speakman (Z)....
Where'd the Skyline/PLN run?
And, what's with the Bobby Allison on the 210 door...I don't 'member him doing the Tran Am...let alone in the BRE Datsun...

I was there (in time) and following closely...errrggghhhh...more signs of senility???!!!

jimclark