Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2003, 11:44 (Ref:609377)   #26
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Daz, if Lowndes was that close to the edge of the circuit, what was Murphy doing right behind him?
Old 25 May 2003, 11:50 (Ref:609382)   #27
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The inside of the track is not where you want to be on that corner.
Old 25 May 2003, 11:55 (Ref:609388)   #28
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazz
If he was in more trouble how come he wasn't on the outside edge of the track like Lowndes was? If he was in more trouble why did he not have to brake very hard?

If you look at where Lowndes was just before he backed into Murphy, he was on the outside edge of the track, brakes on and with about 30 degrees of opposite lock, and heading straight off the track. Weel wasn't.

Have a good long hard look at the replay and tell me in all honesty that Lowndes would not have gone off anyway without the tap.
Missed my point Bomn, this post contradicts itself
Old 25 May 2003, 11:58 (Ref:609390)   #29
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The facts of the case are:

Lowndes stood on the brakes to balance his car.

There was nothing Murph could to from where he was to avoid him (its the same on the road, some guy tailgating you, you have to lock, he hits you, that simple).

Race controll make the call for Murphs penalty, obviously were too hasty and probably did not examine the evidence well enough.

Then Colin Bond used the word "punt" on a number of occasions in his interview before Cromley rightfully goes off.

These are the facts of the case and they are undisputed.

It now boils down to one thing and that is your opinions. It is mine that race control is way too trigger happy and Bond is even more trigger happy shooting off the way he did. It is also my opinion that race control should undergo a complete restructure of staff and AVESCO should re-assess the way penalties are dealt and the way they are decided, a mimimum amount of footage should be viewed from all angles, both teams and drivers should be consulted (over intercon etc), is that too hard?!
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 25 May 2003, 12:08 (Ref:609398)   #30
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
The evidence should come from their own observers not from Channel ten. Otherwise it will end up like football and cricket. Everybody sitting around waiting for a call.

Why can't Bond use the word "punt"? after all Lowndes did get punted.

What gives Crompton the right to go off ranting? His job as a comentator is to tell us what is happening not what he thinks is happening.
Old 25 May 2003, 13:57 (Ref:609467)   #31
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"There was nothing Murph could to from where he was to avoid him (its the same on the road, some guy tailgating you, you have to lock, he hits you, that simple)."

whilst I dont agree with the decision that stopped Murph's run you cant draw a comparison between what occurs on the track and on the road if you do Murphy would get a penalty due to not leaving enough space while following another car.........hang on is that the rule they applied in this case ?
also Cromley tell us what ya really think next time, good on ya maaaaate for speaking ya mind and adding some color to the commentary team
Old 25 May 2003, 14:27 (Ref:609487)   #32
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep you cant draw cromley into it at all , kind of reminded me of the late great james Hunt , ok maybe not but I think you get my point.

whats done is done now and it cannot be reversed , but I still feel Bondy and co should head to the local centrelink office , its a discrace to the sport to make calls like that , and you would think Bond with his knowledge of the sport would know better.

as for the Weel/Ingall incident , i believe Ingall was not as close ( but I would have to check the tape to confirm this) therefore it gave him time to make a decision as to what to do , Murph had no other choice , he seemed much closer in my opinion and yes i agree Lowndes would have fired off the track anyway.

lets just agree that it sucked and we need new boys in charge that have a clue.
Old 25 May 2003, 15:22 (Ref:609536)   #33
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey Bomn
dont put down "the big round mound of sound" by comparing Cromley to him will you .
Long live Mike Raymond []
Old 25 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:609891)   #34
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bomn
The evidence should come from their own observers not from Channel ten. Otherwise it will end up like football and cricket. Everybody sitting around waiting for a call.

What gives Crompton the right to go off ranting? His job as a comentator is to tell us what is happening not what he thinks is happening.
Firstly, the evidence should come from every available angle it can, both from the observers trackside and every camera ange that is captured on tape. From certain angles trackside observers might not notice Lowndes tail lights come on and thus in their minds see it totally different to the drivers perspective.

Secondly, there were still over 30 laps to run, so taking another five minutes to make the decision would not have affected anyone else's race and they might have ended up making the right decision.

Thirdly, Neil Crompton is to be applauded for what he said, not criticised for it. He is well within his rights as a commentator, not to mention ex driver of reasonable skill to give his opinion, obviously shared by a very large percentage of the people who saw the incident. What would you rather, someone who will just tow the corperate line, bow and scrape to those in power who clearly have very little idea about what goes on in a racing car, and simply become a puppet like it looks Mr Bond has become.

And as far as commenting on where cars should be on the track, Murphy hit Lowndes in the rear left, with the front right of his Commodore, which would suggest to me that he was to the left of Lowndes, where he should be.
Old 25 May 2003, 21:16 (Ref:609900)   #35
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankyou Dazz. Spot on.

What are you on about Bomn? Trying to defend the indefenceable will put you way down there with the colinbonds of the V8 Supercar fan base.

The stewards conclusion was wrong, wrong and wrong. Admit it. Colin Bond defending it on live TV had him revealing his supreme mastery and skill at being...WRONG!
Old 25 May 2003, 22:36 (Ref:609960)   #36
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt the ruling drawn off the advantage gained by a touch????

For my money, Lowndes was GONE, therefore Murph didnt gain any advantage, touching him or not.

Think about the lack of grip off the line after the recent weather, you can see the **** on the track!!!!

WHAT ARE THOSE GUYS ON????

Tell me, did Big Nose NOT gain any advantage by barging Murph off at the Island, what about Not So (Bright) and his "light accidental tap" on Ambrose??????????

GET REAL BOND WIGSTON AND THE REST OF YOU STEWARDS OR TAKE A HIKE!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 26 May 2003, 00:36 (Ref:610030)   #37
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the big differences between driving on the road and driving on the track, is that when driving on the road you should be able to stop in whatever clear road is ahead of you - if you hit the guy in front it's your fault.

On the track if you apply that rule, everyone will have to drive several car lengths behind the guy in front, so there will be no passing for the entire race - you might as well award the points after the qualifying as the positions aren't going to change unless someone screws up a pit stop or something.

Murphy had to follow closely otherwise he had no chance of getting past - Lowndes makes a mistake and there really isn't anywhere much Murph can go.

It's a racing incident and when Bond tries to justify the penalty after the fact makes a mockery of the whole thing. In F1 you hear that the stewards are looking into a certain incident and many, many laps latter you see the penalty is applied (or not). The Stewards should have waited longer and looked at all the evidence before making the decision - maybe then they might have made the right one.

They were too hasty, made the wrong call and now they should admit they got it wrong and are reviewing procedures.

Last edited by alfasud; 26 May 2003 at 00:37.
Old 26 May 2003, 06:40 (Ref:610123)   #38
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I've said elsewhere, it's very unfortunate for Colin Bond that it is he who is the spokesman. Probably because he is the most well-known to all and sundry and it would apparently give greated credence to the decison.

Rules of engagement on the race circuit are not the same as on the road, because people are merely travelling on the roads and not competing for road space in a competition as happens in racing. If contact is made from behind, surely commonsense would prevail in handing out blame/penalties.

Murphy was not "tailgating"- in racing there is stipulation about how far from the rear of the car in front is kosher. Lowndes having a "wobble" could not have been predicted by Murphy so he inadvertently made contact. Had this happened outside the racing environment, Murphy would have been lighter due to his excess and catching the bus for a while. In a motor race, all bets are off- he punted him but he didn't punt him OFF by actual intent.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 May 2003, 06:43 (Ref:610125)   #39
Mattracer
Veteran

"NO stipulation about how far from the rear of the car is kosher" (sorry).

Old 26 May 2003, 06:51 (Ref:610129)   #40
Mattracer
Veteran

Marcus,

I would assume from the demeanor of Bond's interview, seeming almost apologetic and sheepish, that he does now better but is over-ruled in the final analysis.

Bond was a clean, fair driver with great technical and inteligent abilitis- I'm amazed he "saw" the incident the way it was delivered in the on-TV interview.

Old 26 May 2003, 07:55 (Ref:610171)   #41
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that really gets me is some people actually AGREE with the stewards!!

I guess there is noway that Bondy or even CAMS for that matter, will admit they're wrong.

It's a bloody crying shame.
Old 26 May 2003, 08:05 (Ref:610177)   #42
Mattracer
Veteran

They can admit they are/were wrong, but the race is over, and the cars are in in trucks on a highway somewhere, the fans have gone home, and the TV has something else on.

It all subjective in the end, isn't it?

Old 26 May 2003, 09:14 (Ref:610228)   #43
TeamChaparral
Rookie

TeamChaparral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right Mattracer..... But it still stinks like sh1t.

What a Farkin Joke.... Murph robbed again... Why wasn't Ambrose pinged for tagging Max Wilson ??? K-Mart logo not big enough on Ambrose's BA ??
Old 26 May 2003, 09:18 (Ref:610231)   #44
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamChaparral
You're right Mattracer..... But it still stinks like sh1t.

What a Farkin Joke.... Murph robbed again... Why wasn't Ambrose pinged for tagging Max Wilson ??? K-Mart logo not big enough on Ambrose's BA ??
Wilson turned in on Ambrose. Why should Ambrose be penalised for that?
Old 26 May 2003, 09:19 (Ref:610232)   #45
TeamChaparral
Rookie

Ahhh, I thought I saw damage to Wilson's rear door/rear 1/4... That would be why then...
Old 26 May 2003, 09:24 (Ref:610236)   #46
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Well how did he get damage in the side if Ambrose wasn't beside him?
Old 26 May 2003, 09:28 (Ref:610241)   #47
TeamChaparral
Rookie

Ambrose wasn't behind him ??? What race were you watchin ???
Old 26 May 2003, 09:47 (Ref:610252)   #48
TeamChaparral
Rookie

Quote:
Release Date: 25/05/2003

Tough Day Out, But Top Ten Finish For Shell Helix Racing
Shell Helix Racing took the good with the bad today at Winton Raceway during the fourth round of the 2003 V8 Supercar Championship Series.

Starting from 12th position on the grid, Brazilian Max Wilson put in a stellar performance early in the race, holding second place behind Jason Bright before an ambitious Marcus Ambrose made contact with the number 18 Shell Helix racer at turn six, causing him to spin off the track.

The incident cost Wilson dearly, rejoining the race in 13th place. From there Wilson moved two places forward after Dean Canto was spun by Russell Ingall and Greg Murphy was given a drive through penalty after an incident involving Craig Lowndes.

So what you're saying is that it should have read " an ambitious Max Wilson made contact with the number 4 SBR Falcon at turn six, causing himself? to spin off the track."

I might E-Mail the V8 Supercar website and tell them they got it wrong...

Last edited by TeamChaparral; 26 May 2003 at 09:51.
Old 26 May 2003, 09:48 (Ref:610254)   #49
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sitting on the Fence (watching out for splinters!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Murphy was not "tailgating"- in racing there is stipulation about how far from the rear of the car in front is kosher. Lowndes having a "wobble" could not have been predicted by Murphy so he inadvertently made contact. Had this happened outside the racing environment, Murphy would have been lighter due to his excess and catching the bus for a while. In a motor race, all bets are off- he punted him but he didn't punt him OFF by actual intent.
I just want to say that I would like to hear what the local marshals had to say about the incident.

The TV looked reasonably conclusive except I wondered why Murph hadn't tried to move left a little harder to avoid Lowndsie?? Was there someone beside him? not that I saw in the limited footage available...

The first part of the footage (side on) shows Murph arriving at a great rate of knots with the fronts all locked up. Maybe he carried too much speed into a situation developing before his eyes??

If Race Control took a report from trackside that said Murph was at fault then you might have to put it down to a "racing incident".....everyone gets it wrong every now and then.....I suppose

Its very easy to make decisions when you are sitting in front of the TV miles away from the action!! Thats my five cents worth!!
Old 26 May 2003, 10:06 (Ref:610273)   #50
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamChaparral
So what you're saying is that it should have read " an ambitious Max Wilson made contact with the number 4 SBR Falcon at turn six, causing himself? to spin off the track."

I might E-Mail the V8 Supercar website and tell them they got it wrong...
Do you want their E-Mail address?

How wide is the track?

2 cars can fit through the corner side by side.

Why not those two?