Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Sep 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3298757)   #26
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Razzor! I am a huge fan indeed. Not only of Sam but of any real talent coming through the ladder, especially when they are independent and do not have access to unlimited amount of funds or sponsorship behind them. So it makes it even more exciting when they deliver for all to see!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3298760)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...anyway, back on topic.

you can't dispute that the guy deserves a chance in f1. but so do at least 10-15 other drivers outside of f1 at the moment, and a huge amount of experience is all well and good but the sport at the moment either demands a big chequebook or being spotted by a f1 team from an early age.

sad to say it, but the place for really very decent, experienced drivers with a good racing brain is le mans now. i don't know whether that's a reflection on how far f1 has fallen, or how far le mans has come. or whether there's no change at all
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3298766)   #28
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
...anyway, back on topic.

you can't dispute that the guy deserves a chance in f1. but so do at least 10-15 other drivers outside of f1 at the moment, and a huge amount of experience is all well and good but the sport at the moment either demands a big chequebook or being spotted by a f1 team from an early age.

sad to say it, but the place for really very decent, experienced drivers with a good racing brain is le mans now. i don't know whether that's a reflection on how far f1 has fallen, or how far le mans has come. or whether there's no change at all
I still think the F1 field is very strong. At least half the field deserves to be there. Stronger than the 90s. But yeah Le Mans does have a lot of good (ex or failed to get into f1) drivers in it.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3298772)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I still think the F1 field is very strong. At least half the field deserves to be there. Stronger than the 90s. But yeah Le Mans does have a lot of good (ex or failed to get into f1) drivers in it.
agree, and even the ones that don't really 'deserve' it have earned it one way or another. and the ones who haven't earned it aren't shaming themselves for whatever reason.

i can't think of a single profession where the best guys get the top jobs.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3298928)   #30
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all fairness, this thread is called "Sam Bird deserves his F1 break"

You do realise how many guys like Sam there are who really could do something in F1 right now? And there are some drivers better than Sam Bird, you know.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3298997)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

Nothing sad in that for me. One man's 'pinnacle' is another man's molehill.....
Old 4 Sep 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3298998)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
In all fairness, this thread is called "Sam Bird deserves his F1 break"

You do realise how many guys like Sam there are who really could do something in F1 right now? And there are some drivers better than Sam Bird, you know.
And their supporters are perfectly entitled to start a similar thread......

(Oh my goodness, what am I saying........? ).
Old 4 Sep 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3299017)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, F1 drivers are the top of motorsport (glamour and money), now if they are the best of motorsport is another matter. I agree with bella, they're worth their seats for different reasons, would be crazy to think that teams, corporations, sponsors, manufacturers would throw billions on people who are not capable to do their job in a decent level. We, fans and alike, can have love-hate opinions and try to assess their performances with our knowledge, but that's only that.

To support a driver, down to heart or not, just like the title of this thread, is mostly welcome. This a discussion forum so pros and cons are expected, then be prepared to be questioned and criticized, BUT remember the golden rule, attack the post not the poster and happy posting.

Oh, and if Sam Bird deserves a break in F1 ? Certainly, like any other else who his aim is a successful career in motorsport.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3299284)   #34
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMHO I think Sam Bird has what it takes to progress to F1, but there are quite a few that do too. I was actually of the impression that F1 was a bit " closed off " to a lot of new drivers coming in, but then last night, Sky F1 were showing Monza 2010 ( just 3 years ago !! ) and i was amazed that only 9 of the 24 drivers in that race are still in F1. ( even 1 of those, sutil , has been out and back in again. ) So it seems that more seats come up for grabs than at first may appear to be the case.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3299308)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I was actually of the impression that F1 was a bit " closed off " to a lot of new drivers coming in, but then last night, Sky F1 were showing Monza 2010 ( just 3 years ago !! ) and i was amazed that only 9 of the 24 drivers in that race are still in F1. ( even 1 of those, sutil , has been out and back in again. ) So it seems that more seats come up for grabs than at first may appear to be the case.
it's complex isn't it. rightfully, f1 has always been a very difficult series to get into. a young driver has to prove to a team that they're better than one of their current drivers. to me, the only thing that has changed and evolved over the years is that "better" means different things. bigger wallet, more commercial connections, better speed, smarter...

personally, i think there should be a standard contract in f1 for drivers, with pay being the only thing changed. everyone's contract should be up for renewal each year. it's wrong that drivers who aren't absolutely magnificent can keep seats in frontrunning teams when the really talented guys have to scrap with the perfectly decent but generally unremarkable drivers at the back for a chequebook drive.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3299327)   #36
ace007
Racer

Normally, most contracts (maybe not Maldo since it is the highest sponsorship brought in ever...) have a performance clause attached which allows the team (and sometimes the driver) to break it and move on.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3302669)   #37
ace007
Racer

For anybody who is interested in Sam, he will be on the next Sky show (Friday 8pm).
Old 13 Sep 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3303424)   #38
hannabyjj
Rookie

hannabyjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1924 View Post
Sam is indeed a great driver and should have the chance in F1. His season in GP 2 this year, 4 wins so far, and for sure more to come, are just the proof that this boy is the real deal. I really hope to see him in 2014 on the grid. F1 should be also about talent not just money. All the best Sam!
He does seem decent
Old 14 Sep 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3303969)   #39
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's earned the chance by being consistently excellent in GP2, FR3.5 and F1 testing for the best part of half a decade. I find it interesting that he's only really come to the attention of the wider population since his win in Monaco last season, and from there the ball has just kept rolling. But you look and he was successful way before that, just a bit under the radar.

Force India?
Old 15 Sep 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3304066)   #40
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
he hasn't even won a major championship yet, but if he can get there good on him, but there's much better drivers in GP2, FR 3.5 etc
Old 15 Sep 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3304316)   #41
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
he hasn't even won a major championship yet, but if he can get there good on him, but there's much better drivers in GP2, FR 3.5 etc

Please name them
Old 15 Sep 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3304332)   #42
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Please name them
The people that beat him in the championships
Old 15 Sep 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3304367)   #43
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If a British driver goes to Force India, it's more likely to be James Calado.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3304558)   #44
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Good driver, but he's been around for a long time and never won any championships. He's won some impressive races this year, but at his age and experience level, it would be poor if he didn't.

I think there's better talents in the pipeline, Bird would be better off going to USA or Japan if he wants to continue single-seaters, otherwise he should make the switch to DTM or sports cars.

That's my read on the situation. He has done multiple seasons in the same series and has not ether a) won the series b) shown enough that people have scooped him up.

He has had multiple test drives with teams and after having had a look at him they seem to think there are other prospects around.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3304559)   #45
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
The people that beat him in the championships
That's exactly the point: 99% of them are all on the F1 grid today or have been on the grid at one point in the last 3 to 4 years. It is about being given that chance to race at the top. I believe he is one of the very few who has the very best potential today to shine yet has NOT gone racing in F1 yet.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3304562)   #46
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
That's my read on the situation. He has done multiple seasons in the same series and has not ether a) won the series b) shown enough that people have scooped him up.

He has had multiple test drives with teams and after having had a look at him they seem to think there are other prospects around.

Why is he Reserve driver at Mercedes F1 then?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3304612)   #47
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't ever see Sam breaking into the top echelon. I see him along the same lines as Luca Filippi, Adam Carroll etc. Good, but not great. A race winner, but not quick enough to catch an F1 team's attention for a race seat on merit. And this is said from someone who knows Sam...

Out of all those in GP2 this year - the one who really grabbed the attention was Robin Frijns, considering lack of testing etc...but he's got diddly-squat in terms of budget...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3304641)   #48
chico
Rookie

chico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, he only thing that has stopped him making the step up to F1 is money. Bird has been the Mercedes F1 reserve driver for 3 years now. He's done virtually every single day of the Young Driver Tests for the last three years. I know people at Merc and this is proper testing. Bird does these because he adds value. For a team that employs Rosberg and Hamilton (and formerly Schumi) that says something! Top tier teams don't give rookies their F1 berth (Lewis at McL was the exception) and mid to lower tier teams need funding from drivers. Simple as that.

Frijns? He's a prospect, absolutely! Great record but this season in GP2 he showed he's still too impetuous. It was all or nothing. He won a race so well done to him, but also too many dnfs. He actually got outscored by both his team mates, Lancaster and Quaife Hobbs! If Frijns can curb that arrogance and stop being so critical of everything in he media (his Sauber programme, GP2, motor racing in general) as if everything was due to him, he will do better. Definitely one for the future in my view.

Calado has been a disappointment. Not sure what happened to him. The pressure of his management? Distracted by his Friday F1 outing (he stalled on the GP2 grid a day later). Also a little disappointed to hear him imply that his woes are down to his car... Come on, we're talking about ART! How bad can it be??

So for me, Nasr and Frijns are ones for the future. Bird is ready right now!
Old 16 Sep 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3304659)   #49
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
In my opinion, he only thing that has stopped him making the step up to F1 is money. Bird has been the Mercedes F1 reserve driver for 3 years now. He's done virtually every single day of the Young Driver Tests for the last three years. I know people at Merc and this is proper testing. Bird does these because he adds value. For a team that employs Rosberg and Hamilton (and formerly Schumi) that says something! Top tier teams don't give rookies their F1 berth (Lewis at McL was the exception) and mid to lower tier teams need funding from drivers. Simple as that.

Frijns? He's a prospect, absolutely! Great record but this season in GP2 he showed he's still too impetuous. It was all or nothing. He won a race so well done to him, but also too many dnfs. He actually got outscored by both his team mates, Lancaster and Quaife Hobbs! If Frijns can curb that arrogance and stop being so critical of everything in he media (his Sauber programme, GP2, motor racing in general) as if everything was due to him, he will do better. Definitely one for the future in my view.

Calado has been a disappointment. Not sure what happened to him. The pressure of his management? Distracted by his Friday F1 outing (he stalled on the GP2 grid a day later). Also a little disappointed to hear him imply that his woes are down to his car... Come on, we're talking about ART! How bad can it be??

So for me, Nasr and Frijns are ones for the future. Bird is ready right now!
Normally I'd agree with you about ART, but Calado's teammate this year is Daniel Abt, and he's down in 22nd in the championship with only one more point than Canamasas, and Abt surely isn't down there on talent?

If I'd been asked over winter who I'd like to see in F1, Bird or Calado, I'd have picked Calado because I perceived him as being the better prospect. I'd never quite been convinced by Bird. This year however he has been consistently fantastic, I would love Mercedes to place him at a lower team. Give someone cheaper engines for taking him on.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3304720)   #50
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all fairness, Abt has looked TOTALLY out of his depth in GP2 this season.