Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2143857)   #26
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But not as NAMING RIGHTS sponsors - Iapologise if I got the wording incorrect - but they were not announced as naming rights (or using my previous words, Series) sponsors.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2143871)   #27
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
But not as NAMING RIGHTS sponsors - Iapologise if I got the wording incorrect - but they were not announced as naming rights (or using my previous words, Series) sponsors.
Well technically you're right. They are not naming rights sponsors but i think this platform sponsor stuff is supposed to cover that. Not unless you want the "Bigpond V8 Supercar Championship powered by XXXX".

I'm sure if another naming rights sponsor turned up they wouldn't knock back the money.

For the AGP, are they asking too much or does no one want to touch the AGP especially with all the bad press
Old 4 Mar 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2143884)   #28
NewsStalker
Veteran

Probably a combination of the last two - $1 mill for naming rights to one meeting is steep with little guaranteed in return - especially as no one seems to know how much TV exposure they will actually get.

As to the name - maybe someone else can find the media releases when Big Pong came onboard - they were very forward in the description of the various sponsorship level packages - and they were (still are) looking for the sponsor willing to pay enough for the series to become '<Insert your name here> V8 Supercvar Championship Series'

Maybe the fact that it is not a recognised CHAMPIONSHIP per se - but an FIA SERIES that is stopping them getting this sponsor (as well as too high a price?)
Old 4 Mar 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2143932)   #29
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cochrane is on record saying the series is happy without a naming rights sponsor and not chasing one.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2143936)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think that a big question needs to be asked over the whole GP

how is it that the clipsal can be run for about $20 million a year

but the melbourne GP costs around $70 million to run (i base this number on $10 mil corp sponsor (from the article) double the Clipsal gate receipts $20 mil (as aticket costs about double and crowds are similar size) and added a 40 mill loss total $70 million, wheer does the extra $50 million dollars go

Newstalker i beleieve you may be incorrect with your naming rights for the series or at least if you were once right they have changed. I guess F1 has a problem and moto gp and WRC because they dont have naming rights, neither does the australian open for that matter. Better 2 sponsors kicking in $2 million than 1 kicking in 3.5 for naming rights
Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2143995)   #31
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16
They are not naming rights sponsors but i think this platform sponsor stuff is supposed to cover that.
So am I reading this correctly in that they no longer seek a naming rights sponsor in the traditional sense (Shell-style)
Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2144002)   #32
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
wheer does the extra $50 million dollars go
It's a fair fee if FOM feels that is a fair fee, isn't it?

After all if the hull has been made, to scrimp on the marble and gold plating for the fit-out would be a travesty right???
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2144058)   #33
NewsStalker
Veteran

pecstar - Apart from the Australian Open, none of these other sports (F1, MotoGP, WRC) have, AFAIK, ever sought a 'naming rights' sponsor have they? The Australian Open did have until, what? 2-3 years ago.

And you may be right that V8's (or TC) now claim they don't need one, but this certainly wasn't the case when they brought in this tiered approach. Is it possible the reason they 'don;t need one' is more to the point they can't get one for the price being asked? After all, it's better to tell the public 'we have decided not to do such and such' rather than 'we can't do such and such because it is impossible'.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2144066)   #34
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176
So am I reading this correctly in that they no longer seek a naming rights sponsor in the traditional sense (Shell-style)
Well that's the impression that big Tony is giving to me anyway.

I guess most (all?) rounds have their own naming rights sponsor now, so unless some of the money is being kicked in there aswell.

YOu never used to have Clipsal 500 (i realize that one goes back awhile now), L&H 500, Bigpond 400 etc, etc
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2144069)   #35
NewsStalker
Veteran

Sandown has pretty much always had their own sponsor for the 500 but none of the 'sprint' rounds had a name for the V8 only races - they may have had a 'meeting' sponsor which covered all the events but AFAICR not just for the 8's - Matthew ROnke woould probably be able to confirm this one way or the other - and also say whether these deals benefitted the track/promoter or V8SCA/AVESCO.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2144093)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sandown has pretty much always had their own sponsor for the 500 but none of the 'sprint' rounds had a name for the V8 only races -
Interesting fact about this type of event sponsor.

At any v8 event, say EC, OP, Willowbank etc sponsorship revenue is divided 50/50 between VESA and the promoter, even if VESA has had no role in the attracting the sponsor. Then money to service the sponsor, guess whose half that comes out of ..............

Makes you wonder why more sprint round events do not pursue naming rights sponsors

Last edited by D.R.T.; 4 Mar 2008 at 12:32.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2144137)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
how is it that the clipsal can be run for about $20 million a year

but the melbourne GP costs around $70 million to run (i base this number on $10 mil corp sponsor (from the article) double the Clipsal gate receipts $20 mil (as aticket costs about double and crowds are similar size) and added a 40 mill loss total $70 million, wheer does the extra $50 million dollars go
The word 'Bernie' probably features in the calculation somewhere...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2144395)   #38
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Makes you wonder why more sprint round events do not pursue naming rights sponsors
Part of the contract for hosting the round precludes it?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2144479)   #39
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Interesting fact about this type of event sponsor.

At any v8 event, say EC, OP, Willowbank etc sponsorship revenue is divided 50/50 between VESA and the promoter, even if VESA has had no role in the attracting the sponsor. Then money to service the sponsor, guess whose half that comes out of ..............

That is the best summation of the situation that could be described. I remember reading someone a while back saying sprint round promoters were lazy for not attracting sponsors. In these situation sometimes you are better off without one. There is a dollar point in each promoters head of, I will or I won't do that deal. Finding someone on the I will side is the difficult part.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2147964)   #40
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, anyone going to watch the Sprint Gas V8 Supercar races at the GP this weekend?
Old 10 Mar 2008, 04:05 (Ref:2147976)   #41
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic
So, anyone going to watch the Sprint Gas V8 Supercar races at the GP this weekend?
Don't you just hate it when a thread reaches its point?

Mick
Old 10 Mar 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2148014)   #42
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signed a three-year deal? Surprising. Click here.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2148047)   #43
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Regardless of how much it shows the confidence corporates in Australia have for the series. It also suggests that they have placed too high a value on themselves.

in light of this creative comment NewsStalker, do you now care to comment. Or maybe i should just send you a slice of pie

Last edited by peckstar; 10 Mar 2008 at 07:28.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2148142)   #44
NewsStalker
Veteran

I don;t have your crystal ball - but then again I guess every news item that reports somehting that is later changed to to any reason should also retract the original item, shouldn't they.

BTW - do YOU have any knowledge of how mych they have supposedly signed this deal for?

You really need to stop trying to take everything so personally.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2148145)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
nothing personal taken

you implied that the lack of sponsor showed there was no corporate confidence in the v8 series.

Well they have a sponor now (and for three years) so that would in turn suggest theer is corporate confidence in the series.

of course this is all irrelevant because you were being creative anyway because it was the GP who couldnt get a sponsor, not he series, you just took advantage of a poorly written article to have another dig at the series
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2148175)   #46
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but none of the 'sprint' rounds had a name for the V8 only races - they may have had a 'meeting' sponsor which covered all the events
Prior to 1987 (when Shell became naming-rights sponsor) alot of the rounds had individual race sponsors.

For instance in 1986 you had alot of rounds backed by Motorcraft and called the "Motorcraft 100", Calder's round was the "Coca Cola 100", Amaroo's the "Better Brakes 100", Surfers had the "XXXX 100", Symmons Plains had the "Australia National Lines 100" etc etc..... and prior to that in 1983/84 the Lakeside & Surfers Paradise rounds were backed by radio station FM104.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2148250)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
you implied that the lack of sponsor showed there was no corporate confidence in the v8 series.

Well they have a sponor now (and for three years) so that would in turn suggest theer is corporate confidence in the series.
Yet it comes less than a week prior to the event and from a company already aligned with the series.

I am not sure that screams confidence regarding a v8 sponsorship.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2148660)   #48
NewsStalker
Veteran

racer69 - Agree about the pre-87 era and Shell, but it is interesting that since Shell withdreww from the sport this practice hasn;t really taken off again.

This suggests a couple of things - one, as D.R.T. points out, a possible lack of commercial confidence or two the asking price is too high. In regard to the latter, the only yardstick we have is that the AGP Corp have stated, quite openly, the asking price for the one race at the AGP was $1 million which, until the 11th hour, no one was obviously willing to pay. However it is also telling that there is no talk of how much this sponsorhsip ended up costing - I would suggest a lot lower than $1 million (but I am not 'in the know' like some herw - supposedly!)
Old 10 Mar 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2148665)   #49
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
nothing personal taken

of course this is all irrelevant because you were being creative anyway because it was the GP who couldnt get a sponsor, not he series, you just took advantage of a poorly written article to have another dig at the series
Still suggest you take up the offer on getting eyes checked - I dodn;t even mention a 'poorly written article' till someone (no names needed) questioned the validity of some RADIO news items (which, indicentally, referred to local press articles and NOT the one I provided a link to).

That aside, to have the AGP Corp go public with the informaiton they did about lack of a sponsor for the races does indeed show a lack of (as put by D.R.T.) a lack of 'commercial confidence' in the category. If they are so popular and provide 'value for money' there should be absolutely no problem getting sponsorship.

However, I will ask again as it was neatly sidestepped - just how much is this 'new' 3 year deal worth considering the AGP Corp was banking on $1 million for this year alone.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2148701)   #50
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think its unreasonable to suggest that not being able to find a sponsor until the week of the event is a concern. Definately interesting to see what Sprint Gas have paid but I'm guessing it is a LOT less than the original asking price.

Regardless, its good its sorted and looking forward to seeing the V8s back at the GP.