Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Jun 2001, 11:22 (Ref:102183)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, but the point is that we are only kept racing under full yellows, safety car etc. because if a race is stopped it throws the schedule out and if a race is cancelled later in the day, the organising club loses money.

Personally, if the postion/conditions require a full course yellow, or a safety car during a ten or fifteen lap club race then red flag it.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 11:39 (Ref:102192)   #27
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So would you be happier if one meeting in 5 the programme wasn't finished? Besides if the organising clubs lose money, its going to you who end up paying in the long run. I agree with Flagman thet b/y should be a good solution, people do slow down quickly enough for reds (generally)so the reaction to y/b should be the same.

Maybe this tragic incident will prompt a proper debate on how to manage these difficult situation. Stopping the race isn't really satifactory as we'd never finsih programmes.

Also Peter, as you are rightly concerned about the amount of race lost during the y/b period (as are we as officials, we just want to see racing too). The best way to minimise this time is to persuade hoever is leading to go slower. The more time each y/b lap takes the more time you give us to clear up the mess, so the less number of laps of the race proper are lost or as Dan suggested, have y/b laps not count to the race total.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 11:40 (Ref:102193)   #28
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't agree with just red flagging every large incident, which some may only take 30 seconds to clear but are in a dangerous position. Stopping, clearing up and then starting a race after a red flag can easily take half an hour.. and especially if some circuits stick to the 5 minute count down timing.. I can't see the public wanting that, and I don't watn to drag out the day into the early evening.

Black and yellows should work, should save time and give the drivers (who have paid plenty of cash for the priviledge) to race for all of their number of allocated laps whilst improving safety for all involved.

We've had one incident at Combe this year, where a rescue vehicle was on the circuit under waved yellow flag conditions - did the leaders slow down, no.. they were all chucked out. Then at Thruxton last year, whilst treating a driver stuck in a F1 car out the back of the circuit (150+ mph in a F1, the leaders didn't slow down (in fact 2 almost lost it) and what happened - absolutley nothing.. Waved yellows mean - you have to be able to stop as the circuit may be blocked!! Until drivers do this, or are forced to do this - you need the safety provided by B/Y flags.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 11:52 (Ref:102196)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am talking here about club racing. No we don't want to pay extra and why should we. But I for one don't want to see marshals or anyone else hurt. Whilst in theory the B/Y flag should work, it doesn't because we're not talking about professionals, we're talking about amateurs.

Still its nice to note that you acknowledge my point. (BTW I only made it because it was the official reason for making us run under the B/Y flag for most of a race at Brands some time ago).

Lights are used at Silverstone and Spa to my knowledge and they work quite well.

So I would maintain my position and repeat that if the situation is that dangerous, they should stop the race. Otherwise its waved yellows until the situation is clear. Or the marshal's arm falls off!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2001, 12:18 (Ref:102204)   #30
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter

Every competitor gets a copy of the Blue Book each year so ought to know the regs - When was the last time most of them actually read it?

Black/yellow flag regulations trend to get sent out regularly in competitors final instructions - again - how many read them ?

Local waved yellows don't allow the field to bunch up so you do not get a big enough gap to move a stranded car - the B/Y should enable this.

Too many red flags in a day inevitably means that someone doesn't get a race - especially at tracks with a curfew (Oulton/Mallory/Croft) - you might get part of your entry fee back but you have still spent maney on travelling etc.

Even where there is no curfew the competitor still suffers in the long run, as many marshals object to regular late ending meetings and don't bother doing that circuit again - Donington being a good example. Its ok for competitors - you can go home as soon as your race is over - marshals are there until the end - and have probably been there since well before you arrived. Too many 14 to 15 hours days, from getting up to getting home, eventually takes its toll (snoore)
Old 7 Jun 2001, 12:28 (Ref:102207)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Umm,

I'm actually not disagreeing with you in principle but I must say its niave, if not a little negative to use the "its in the book so you will work to it" approach. Its like using the courts to manage a situation rather than resolve an issue.

I stress, that I'm talking club events which are never allowed to over-run anyway.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 12:44 (Ref:102212)   #32
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what's the answer Peter? i think as Dan and Flagman above have said, from an organisational point of view you can't just stop every race where you have a proble (practice is easier as you don't have to go through the starting rigmarole) you are saying its unworkable for club racers to comply with the current black and yellows - if that is the case how are lights going to be an improvement - so what do we do? The point I was trying to make above is by and large people manage to back off for red flags without driving into each other, why doesn't it work for black and yellows? I'm not trying to be negative but I'm trying to get a better understanding of your viewpoint, as I can't currently think of other workable solutions.

And yes, I think we're all talking about club racing too, which by and large we enjoy much more than the profesional alternatives.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 13:08 (Ref:102228)   #33
Flagman
Racer

Yes - I guess it may be niave to believe that as every competitor has signed a (probably legally binding) agreement that they have read and understood the regulations under which the meeting is to take place - that they would then try to ensure that they, and their fellow competitors abide by those rules.

Perhaps its a question of better driver education - and has to start at grass roots level - after all its your money that you are spending - if you don't get a race then don't complain.

Maybe I am being negative - perhaps 30 years of 30-50 days marshaling are beginning to have an effect - I must admit its gets harder to get the enthusiasm to get out of bed each Saturday/Sunday.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 21:03 (Ref:102355)   #34
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news this has been. From reading Autosport I have gathered a bit more, and it makes it even more tragic.

"Eye witnesses reported that Simon Fairman and third-places Keith Dunn clashed wheels as race leader Steve Kelsey and second-placed Richard Ince braked to slow down for the black and yellow flag, launching Simon Fairman's car into the air.

Nic Fairman spun into the barriers at the foot of the bride - an area where the run-off narrows - while trying to avoid the crash ahead."

So does it appear that the first two drivers slowed down but third and fourth didn't? The fact that made it even more tragic - Simon Fairman, whose accident Nic crashed trying to avoid, was Nic's brother.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 02:23 (Ref:102405)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Terribly tragic indeed.

But it is important to understand what happened and correct that in the future.

The point about a legally binding contract is exactly why I suggest that as a "niave" (possibly the wrong word) approach. If somebody breaks a contract you sue them, but they've already committed the act. Therefore more and better education is the first step. The second would be more direct control of incidents and that means red flags.

BTW. I am a contracts manager by profession so I do know about contracts.

In this tragic case, I expect (my opinion as a racer only) the second and third cars were dicing and not watching for flags and especially a B/Y flag which actually is not that visible.

The flag position at Mallory, just after Devils elbow, is quite well sighted if you are not dicing. If you are then you not only have an eye on the mirrors but you also have a car which is probably understeering towards the barrier. It gets your attention more than looking for a flag.

My sincere condolences go to the family and friends of Nic Fairman.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 10:59 (Ref:102501)   #36
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add to this rather sombre discussion:

At Snetterton last Sunday we had the CSCC 1 Hour, 2 driver race and we were informed that the Safety Car would be employed if necessary. Well the Gods weren't looking kindly at my Sunbeam and my co-driver spun the car into the middle of Norfolk at the 30 min driver change over time :-(
Dale (CotC) used his Vectra with lights to very effectively bring the cars round to a slow crocodile while they removed my car from the infield. All drivers were well behaved and it was a very controlled situation.
A black/orange flag situation probably wouldn't have worked in this scenaio as most folks weren't aware of who the lead driver was. The course car was a very obvious mobile indicator, aiding drivers.

Just my 2p worth.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 11:54 (Ref:102532)   #37
Marshal
Veteran

Maybe that's the best way forward, to use a safety car.

And just to echo Peter's sentiment - best wishes to Nic Fairmans family and friends.

And thanks to you guys for an intesting and thought provoking discussion. It makes me think that opportunity for marshals and drivers to talk together should happen more often, but maybe places like here are the ideal place for it to happen.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 15:59 (Ref:102613)   #38
NICKR
Rookie

NICKR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great debate but such an unfortunate reason to bring it to the fore. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the postings as they went up. Some very good input from all that took part.

Let's hope the best solution is implemented soon.

My thoughts also go to the driver's family and also to all those involved with the incident.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 01:36 (Ref:103651)   #39
LynxSat.com
Rookie

LynxSat.com should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I put my 2p worth in having been on both sides the fence?

I know logistically contacting drivers by radio at a clubby is impossible, but it has always amazed me that in these situations the flags come out at the start line and go clockwise around the track, surely it would be better for all concerned if the flags go clockwise and anti-clockwise?

I only know what I read, but I would imagine at Mallory the B&Y flag came out at the start line and was deployed clockwise as the books says, I would imagine from what I have read that at this point the leaders and pack were probably at the Esses / Shaws part of the track, so that in effect, if "done by the book" the B&Y flag was in effect chasing after the drivers, by the sounds of it the first they all knew was as they got to the start line because the flags were still catching them up, had the flags gone anti-clockwise as well, it would have caught them on the exit of Shaws and it's not impossible that this accident would not have happened.

Maybe Marshall, you sound like an official (excuse me I'm new here), you could explain to me why the flags go clockwise and not anti & clockwise, as this seems the better option in most cases.

Having seen many accidents behind pace cars & B&Y flags, and been involved in one at Brands, I personally feel that this black and yellow flag should either be scrapped, or someone should consult the drivers on what they think, I know that when racing, I was not the only one to have this view.

As ever, it's a shame it takes a drivers death to get people talking and rules changing (hopefully).
Old 11 Jun 2001, 01:45 (Ref:103656)   #40
LynxSat.com
Rookie

Sorry to go on, but I could also bring up the subject of track safety, why are tracks allowed to have barriers comming in towards the track at such deep angles?

As much as I respect the MSA, John Symes and his crew (I presume he still runs the safety side), they and circuit owners really, have not got a clue when it comes to safety.

I don't mean to sound dis-respectful, and my best wishes go to all involved, but how long will it be before a car goes over the wall at Gerrards and down the, if I remember, 15 foot drop? Or how long will it be before a loose wheel goes over the fence along either the back or front streight and hit someone?

I'm sorry if I've offended anybody, but it makes me really angry to see un-necessary risks being taken by tracks, having been able to step back for a couple of years and look from a Safety point of view, so much can be done to improve people's chances at nearly all the tracks in the Country, and don't get me started on Lydden otherwise I'd be here all night.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:44 (Ref:103845)   #41
Flagman
Racer

When the B/Y was first introduced, some clubs did ask us to propogate it both ways round the circuit - however this was soon dropped as it resulted in eveyone slowing down, and hence not getting the desired result of grouping the cars up to give the marshals time to clear the incident.

It seems to me that there it makes no difference where the drivers first confront the B/Y flag - if the first car to see it slows down too quickly and those behind do not then you have the potential for the type of accident that happend at Mallory.

One advantage of the current system is that the first place the drivers see the B/Y is at the start/finish line rather than having it pop up at any point round the circuit.

The same type of accident can happen with a safety car - the F3's at Oulton Park this year for example.

I guess it is really a question of driver education - perhaps the wording for the B/Y should be changed to emphasise the need for the lead driver to gradually reduce the pace of the field rather than slow down to 50 mph.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:53 (Ref:103846)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, when I first started racing we were taught to stick our hands up to indicate to other cars that we were slowing. Obviously under ordinary yellows, this would not be practical or desirable. However it should be enfoirced under the B/Y flag system.

That said I've noticed over the last few years that the wave arm has fallen out of favour. But even in touring cars we should still use it.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 12:01 (Ref:103866)   #43
LynxSat.com
Rookie

>>Obviously under ordinary yellows, this would not be practical or
>>desirable. However it should be enfoirced under the B/Y flag system.

You try doing that in the middle of Gerrards, or Dingle Dell
Old 11 Jun 2001, 12:09 (Ref:103869)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah,

In think you missed my point. The B/Y flag is shown at the startline. The lead driver raises his/her arm and indicates the he/she is slowing. Not necessary under yellows because we all know what to do as soon as we see a yellow.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 13:02 (Ref:103898)   #45
LynxSat.com
Rookie

>>Not necessary under yellows because we all know
>>what to do as soon as we see a yellow.

No I got your point and remember being told that myself, what I'm saying is that in the middle of a corner, it isn't exactly safe or easy to lift your hand of the wheel to acknowledge the flags.

I used to at least make an effort to raise a hand or finger, but at Silverstore once I was in the position of being blinded by the car in front, he slowed and my choice was hit him, or overtake him, I chose to overtake and it was only because it was all caught on the CCTV that I didn't get any more than a simple ticking off, he CofC asked why I'd done it and hadn't slowed or acknowledged the flag, my answer was "what did you want me to do, raise my hand and hit him causing an even bigger accident or avoid an accident and keep the card under control?".

If you see a yellow or black and yellow say at the top of Paddock at Brands (it comes out just as you enter the braking zone), or middle of Gerrard you simply cannot immediately slow down, things have to be done in a sensible manner, rather than just jumping on the brakes, doing that or taking your hand off the wheel to acknowledge the flags is even more dangerous than not slowing down.

I'm only talking about a "small window of time / situation" which hardly ever happens, not the blatant "seen the flag two posts back but I'm ignoring it" attitude than happens so often.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 13:15 (Ref:103907)   #46
Marshal
Veteran

This goes back to the good point made by flagman, that the responsibility of the leader is to slow in a gradual manner. The real problem is that in any slowing of a stream of cars, it is possible that the classic motorway chain reaction shunt can occur, where everyone back down the queue has to brake slightly harder.

Even taking Peter's point a little while back about stopping every race where there is a car in a dangerous position, this too can lead to people driving into each other (I was given the example of the leader slowing when he saw the red flag, which ended up with the 2nd place man parking on his roof in avoidance).

I've learnt a lot but I'm still looking for a better way.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 13:54 (Ref:103922)   #47
LynxSat.com
Rookie

Fully agree with you there - Imola F3000 this year was a prime example.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 14:35 (Ref:103931)   #48
Flagman
Racer

One of the reasons for only propogating the B/Y flag clockwise was to ensure that the first encounter would be on the start/finish - which at most circuits is on (reasonably) straight bit of track.

I admit that one or more cars can be unsighted from the flag so maybe what is needed is to fit flashing amber lights on the start gantry which are activated whilst the B/Y is out.

I agree about 'not jumping on the brakes' as soon as a flag is seen - again this is a case of the need for education and common sense - not only of drivers but also Observers and Senior Race officials

I have had numerous 'full and frank discussions' with Observers who have been going to report a driver for not slowing under the yellow when it has been patently obvious that the driver was committed to the move and could have made the situation worse by obeying the letter of the law. Believe it or not - some of us are on your side....
Old 11 Jun 2001, 14:47 (Ref:103936)   #49
Marshal
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
I have had numerous 'full and frank discussions' with Observers who have been going to report a driver for not slowing under the yellow when it has been patently obvious that the driver was committed to the move and could have made the situation worse by obeying the letter of the law. Believe it or not - some of us are on your side....
Amen to that. Particularly when you get a very slow back marker. Didn't some once say something to the effect of "Rules being for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of idiots".
Old 11 Jun 2001, 18:10 (Ref:103990)   #50
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Please see this topic which I have just posted:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=10833

However, please don't let that put you off continuing this discussion on this topic. I'm sure Nic's friends and family would support any discussion which helps get to the bottom of this tragic loss.