Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jul 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2253740)   #26
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
ITs allways a bit of a night mare for me as we are not one of the chosen "top teams " got cars all over the place ,truck miles away, drivers ringing up wanting picking up from the gate, Got to get there Thursday to set up so on and so on. Sorry everyone just having a moan.
boy do I know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!! entry forms should have a bit to list who is looking after your car.
(oh I'm Alan, AWS Engineering the miserable looking one so I'm told. ref to outing thread)
Old 19 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2253759)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
"NO scooters in the paddock" Whats happened to that nice Cof the C need to have a chat. Are you havind a wind up Terrance.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2255723)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, this is the UK's big middle of the season Historic Race meeting, so I'm pinning it up. Just a few days to go. We want good weather especially for the Saturday evening race.

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Jul 2008 at 08:31.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2256046)   #29
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Hello guys and girls...

wondering if anyone needs any extra help over the weekend? I'm too poor to pay entry, and desperately want to be there. I'm happy to pay my way by photos (www.flickr.com/jymp is my portfolio) or just hard work. I'm enthusiastic and happy to do just about anything to get there.

PM me please? I'd be grateful forever and a day
Hi, I will be racing my Wainer Formula Junior (Race n. 46) and I would have some more pass for friends.
If you will be in the paddock on thursday afternoon I could give you one for all the weekend for free.
Carlo
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2256215)   #30
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
It's a Talbot and Riley.Decided not to take Alta that has won 500 three times in last 5 years and let Patch and Peter Neumark fight it out with FN and Monza.
904 may be ready if we can find gearbox that works but unlikely

GB sharing Lola with Geoff Lister in Masters on Sat evening
John - we'll miss you this year - the weather is going to be fabulous....get on a plane! I have been dumped from the drive in Charlie Gilletts Nash in this years BRDC 500 as he thought just because my wife is due next Wednesday I wouldn't be there! We have been working like dogs to get the Ex Fane Frazer Nash BMW 328 ready in time with it's newly rebuilt engine. We should be testing on Thursday so if it works OK we may well have a three way battle. Martin Stretton is driving with me so if it hangs together there is a chance of a podium....
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2256228)   #31
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola
Where are we supposed to work from if we aren't allowed the vehicles we bring them in by us!! I know there are hell alot of cars racing and tight squeeze and all that... I am also bringing the BMW for David Leslies memorial tribute...
know the feeling, just had the 'good news' today, must reason if his Lordship can get away with it, so can we.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:23 (Ref:2256307)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problems like this always occur when new organisers are brought in,really dont know why the BRDC dont do it.!!
Old 23 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2256387)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Problems like this always occur when new organisers are brought in,really dont know why the BRDC dont do it.!!
BRDC would be the logical answer but having seen the way they ran their Historic Sportscar Championship into the ground I think the chances of them getting a Festival to work are minimal. HSCC are the obvious choice with Orwell, Group C, FJ and HGPA joining them.
I think it is an excellant decision to have no lorries in the paddock. It works perfectly well at Goodwood and the last time I did the Classic you could not enter the allotted area in a race car because of campervans being "used" as support lorries.
I was once told by a good friend who was a driver with Le Mans Group C success under his belt that if you car needs that much work on it at the track it clearly wasn't prepped properly....
Old 23 Jul 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2256390)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,that is a valid point but sometimes things can go wrong.It always gives the spectators something to watch when cars are repaired in the paddock though.
When Christies etc was first thought up,it was the BRDC who organised it,that was before Goodwood had been thought of,I'm sure they could do it again.

Last edited by terence; 23 Jul 2008 at 07:58.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2256406)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Yes,that is a valid point but sometimes things can go wrong.It always gives the spectators something to watch when cars are repaired in the paddock though.
When Christies etc was first thought up,it was the BRDC who organised it,that was before Goodwood had been thought of,I'm sure they could do it again.
As your mate Whizzo will tell you it was a very different BRDC back then and carried a proper title sponsor - this stopped when Nescafe backed the last one which I was lucky enough to compete in and the drivers were really looked after at almost Goodwood levels.
The current competition department is enthusiastically run but sadly too easily taken on red herrings.
Losing the GP could be a blessing in disguise as it will force them to realize that events like the Classic need to work otherwise Silverstone no longer becomes their main asset but the biggest drain...
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2256419)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The original Coys/Christies set up was screwed up by BRDC after Fitz went.We had races organised by BRDC with Mr Smiths Chrysler sponsorship and not as now races subcontracted to commercial organisations such as Masters so two operations looking for positive margins on income .Losing Shell/Ferrari was also a blow because they bring lots of razzmatazz. Sorry boys but Talbots,B's and LC's do not make Joe Public want to pay the entrance fee

My money now on Patch and his slower superstar(nearly)Brother in Law to win 500 ,Monza second,Charlie's Nash and then the knackered Talbot
Old 23 Jul 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2256719)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well if all this works and brings spectators to the meeting then i dont mind the inconvenionce.After all its a great meeting and i hope all goes well. Looks like i can use my scooter read the regs and there nothing about "NO SCOOTERS IN PADDOCK"
Old 23 Jul 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2256777)   #38
grp2viva
Rookie

grp2viva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there all weekend running Jonathan Baker in the T70 for Sat nights masters race. Come and say "high" if your passing. Oh, it's the yellow one by the way....

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering
Old 24 Jul 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2256944)   #39
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am marshalling for all 3 days on which looks like a killer!

The finishing time on Saturday is hell alone!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2256971)   #40
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D

Yes, but thanks in advance from one of the competitors. It will be a hell of a race and we couldn't do it if it weren't for you all!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2257160)   #41
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Wills' comment echoed here - thanks to all marshalling at this event, it must be quite a feat of endurance. Hopefully we'll put on a good show for you all, without keeping you too busy.

James
Roadsports
Old 24 Jul 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2257178)   #42
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D

And thanks in advance from a spectator too
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2257239)   #43
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit late, I know, but I've just been told that scrutineers are rejecting overalls without epaulettes. Many of the retro-looking overalls don't have them, so be warned! I'm not sure if that rule applies to all events, or just the FIA races (I know that some Junior drivers have been affected).
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2257336)   #44
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hell, we'd all look stupid standing there with nothing to do!

Thanks for bringing your cars and thrashing them like a ginger stepchild!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2257458)   #45
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plenty of big grids, 50 on the grid with numerous reserves

Looks like the back of the grid will be a walk and a half away from the startline office

Good luck to everyone racing, might see you on the grid on Sunday, or might not depending on how they get us to do the grid
Old 24 Jul 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2257471)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame the prices are so high really, I love this meeting, but sadly this year was not quick enough to get advance tickets

I can not justify 30 quid for a Friday I'm afraid, damn shame as my Dad wanted to come too til he found out!

Interesting the mahority on here are competitors.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2257507)   #47
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
MarshalMoore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just seen that the prices are rather steep. So for people wanting a day out its a high price. But it will be a excellent weekend.

I will see you all on the Sunday, I am marshalling in the assembly area!

Have a great weekend all! (Even though some of you are probably there now)
Old 25 Jul 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2257625)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My previous comments about pre-booking were valid since very substantial savings applied, but I agree that for the spontaneous punter the 'on the day prices' will seem high, particularly for today (Friday). In fact however, there are 15 qualifying periods, today, so most of the cars will be on track at some stage. Coupled with various other demonstrations, club stands, stalls and various forms of entertainment between 0700-2300 hours, it probably represents good value and certainly stands comparison to Goodwood prices.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2257633)   #49
simon drabble
Veteran

I am going on Sunday as I have been invited to lunch in the Clubhouse so I am looking forward to being entertained whilst tucking into my sunday roast!

Sadly I will miss for me the two best races - the Saturday night Group 4 race and the Sunday morning 50's Sports racers. However 60's F1 is a pretty good consolation!!
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2257747)   #50
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone got a entry list?