Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2314734)   #26
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't help but feel Max is trying to force through way to much before he get the shove himself.

Almost an "If I can't keep control of F1 ... lets kill F1 and all it stands for off before I go"
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2314738)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Almost an "If I can't keep control of F1 ... lets kill F1 and all it stands for off before I go"
That's not beyond the realms of possibility - a "scorched earth" policy or "If I can't have it nobody will" tantrum.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2314744)   #28
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehillim
This is ridiculous, Mosley's meant to be waiting for FOTA to present proposals for cost cutting, why on earth does he need to pre-empt the teams?
Mosley ueber alles...............
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2314752)   #29
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
MMM If I was a manufacturer, I'd walk away from this - What would I stand to gain ( say if I'm mercedes ) if everyone knows the Toyota engine is exactly the same as mine ???

Ah! But if you were TagAZ (Russia) or Tata Motors (India) or Nanjing Auto (China)????
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2314761)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Don't lump IRL in with Champ Car.

Champ Car was awesome, IRL is dumbed down rubbish.
Both were pants.

Now CART, on the other hand... :lurve:

Anyways, this engine tender thing. I can't well imagine that they are seriously going to do this. I am hoping it is just, as people have said, a way of forcing through other changes. In fact, I am confident of this.

If it really does happen then I am afraid it is another nail in the coffin.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2314762)   #31
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
This could be a coincidence, but this week's Autosport Magazine carries a large advertisement for jobs by Caterpillar for their Perkins Engines plant in Peterborough...
Chip-fat powered diesels - now wouldn't that be great? Except for the smell of course. But it could bring in a new global sponsor and a new name for the championship - McFormula1
Old 17 Oct 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2314781)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
FIA clarifies regulation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71459

So basically you can still build your own engine to the exact specifications of the standard one...why bother.
Well aren't you just the F1 good news fairy this week.

Why do I watch this crap? Oh yeah, I hate Tony George more than Bernie and Max. Just barely though. I should have learned my lesson in '05, but I keep coming back form more.

This decision by the FIA makes sportscars truly the last bastion of innovation in motorsport. Luckily for me I like sportscars more OW.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2314794)   #33
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is probably brinkmanship from Max. This spec engine would have been a ridiculous idea this time last year, although I am less opposed to the idea due to the economic climate. Although it would probably be cheaper just to rev limit the current units to 17000rpm and give them one per four race phase. And to cut down on testing.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2314805)   #34
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
This is probably brinkmanship from Max. This spec engine would have been a ridiculous idea this time last year, although I am less opposed to the idea due to the economic climate. Although it would probably be cheaper just to rev limit the current units to 17000rpm and give them one per four race phase. And to cut down on testing.
I agree duke. It's just Sabre Rattling from Max and his cronies...
Old 17 Oct 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2314807)   #35
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Both were pants.

Now CART, on the other hand... :lurve:

Anyways, this engine tender thing. I can't well imagine that they are seriously going to do this. I am hoping it is just, as people have said, a way of forcing through other changes. In fact, I am confident of this.

If it really does happen then I am afraid it is another nail in the coffin.
Thats what I meant PPG CART Indycar / CART World Series / Champ Car. Should have made myself more clear.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Oct 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2314820)   #36
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Let's see, everyone wants to go back to the "Golden Age" of F1. Everyone ran the DFV, therefore it was essentially a spec engine series. We get that now, and everyone *****es. I personally love this change, everyone will be on the same plane for engines, which leaves the REST of the car to be better than everyone else. Sure, you may have a powerful car, but that doesn't mean jack **** if it's got crap aero. Now that everyone has around the same bhp, the car has to be that much better.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2314836)   #37
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We don't need to look that much backwards for a system that works, we need to look forwards.

Given the whole business about fuel supplies it would be advantagous for F1 to have a set of rules that gives the manufacturers a way to use F1 for R and D. However it should not price out the privateers. My view is that F1 engine rules should not be a competition to produce an advantage whilst racing, but a competition where the manufacturers can show of their latest technologies. As I've posted several times before my view on how this could be achieved is rather simple (apologies for the derailing).

One - Remove restrictions on number of cylinders and engine size but limit power output to 750-800 (depending how silly you feel) horsepower. This would stop a power war taking place and could lower budgets.
Two - Award bonus points in the World Constructor's Championship for fuel economy on a 5-3-2-1 system. Only cars that finish in the top eight positions will be able. Coming dead last but use practically no fuel still means no points.
Three - like FOTA have suggested a must sell price for engines. And possibly complete chassis, making F1 to increase to twenty teams (of course, there will need to be a change to qualifying to facilitate it).
Old 17 Oct 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2314843)   #38
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Duke, you're forgetting that all, yes all, of the manufacturers are on the precipice of the most turbulent time they've ever faced. Formula One will be bottom of their priorities and top of their list of things to cut out. A recession and a shortage of credit is a lethal cocktail for a car manufacturer.

As I said earlier, if this does go ahead, it may be a very, very smart move.

A couple of other things to think about :

o Almost every form of single seater racing today is spec. based. F3 is all but spec. chassis with the Dallara. F1 is one of the last bastions.

o 25% of the performance differential on an F1 car is the tyres... and they're spec. That's arguably more than the engine.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2314845)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Duke, you're forgetting that all, yes all, of the manufacturers are on the precipice of the most turbulent time they've ever faced. Formula One will be bottom of their priorities and top of their list of things to cut out. A recession and a shortage of credit is a lethal cocktail for a car manufacturer.
Now is the worst time possible for my suggestions. They are something that should be considered when the economic climate has improved. Two years? Three years? Four? Who knows.

I also said further up (and I don't blame you for not seeing it at all) that under this economic climate the best course of action would be to rev limit the current engines very tightly - 15000-17000 is my suggestion.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2314850)   #40
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ya but rev-limiting won't stop development... in fact it will probably exacerbate it. The narrower the window for performance improvement... the more expensive each increment becomes. The only solution will be to take the manufacturers out of the equation.

In terms of recessions etc... I worked for Ford during the early 90s recession and boy did we suffer. At the time Ford, like many other auto manufacturers, were throwing credit at buyers and that was one of the only things that helped generate any sales. Remove access to credit and I don't want to think about what things would have been like. We need to remember a new car is the first thing people will postpone buying when times are hard that's why auto companies are the first to suffer on the outset of a recession and the last to recover when things get better.

I rarely agree with anything the FIA does... more so over the last few weeks... but this is a very good idea.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2314855)   #41
Tehillim
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tehillim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy

As I said earlier, if this does go ahead, it may be a very, very smart move.

A couple of other things to think about :

o Almost every form of single seater racing today is spec. based. F3 is all but spec. chassis with the Dallara. F1 is one of the last bastions.

o 25% of the performance differential on an F1 car is the tyres... and they're spec. That's arguably more than the engine.
But why impose something on the teams when they're in the process of agreeing cost cutting measures? Surely FOTA would have been the best forum to decide a cost-cutting strategy? I agree something needs to be done urgently but surely the manufacturers are more aware of that than anyone? It looks to me like Mosley is kicking against the prospect of losing influence over the direction of F1 and is trying to kill off FOTA. IMO, it's not about what's good for F1, it's about preserving FIA influence.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2314861)   #42
davyboy
Veteran

A few reasons why. First, things may be a lot more serious than we can see now - there may not be very many manufacturers capable and willing to commit to F1 beyond this year, let alone 4 years forward. Second, the manufacturers have a poor track record with regard to getting concensus on cost cutting to date.

The FIA need to act in the best interests of the sport. FOTA will act in the best interests of the manufacturers.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2314871)   #43
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
FOTA does not just represent the manufacturer teams. It represents all the teams.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2314872)   #44
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe the current economic crisis is a justification to make Formula 1 spec series. We world faced recessions in the 1970's and late 1980's/early 1990's. I can't remember Formula 1 being a spec series in those days.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2314876)   #45
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm totally against an enforced durability for any component. But any way, if you really want to reduce engine costs the FIA should mandate the engine to last the entire season.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2314969)   #46
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this does happen I hope its for 3 years only and no more. I know A1GP is not trying to compete with F1, but its beginning to appear the other way around!! On the flip side sportscar racing is going to seriously gain from a spec f1 imo.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2314971)   #47
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If they had insisted on a common set of engine mounting points,as was done in the IRL in the days when there was a choice of engines,I would have seen some logic.On the other hand if F1 withers as a result of this and somebody comes up with a series called-how about GP1-could the new series escape the clutches of the current commercial rights holder?If so,could the participants negotiate television exposure and assignment of any income?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2315022)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
Well aren't you just the F1 good news fairy this week.
Not just this week!

And if anyone is interested.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/Pages...ntoTender.aspx

http://argent.fia.com/web/appeloffre...lt?openagent&a

Last edited by Marbot; 17 Oct 2008 at 22:54.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2315027)   #49
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Sure, you may have a powerful car, but that doesn't mean jack **** if it's got crap aero. Now that everyone has around the same bhp, the car has to be that much better.
That's more or less the situation now though. The engines are more or less on the same playing field for the past few years so the engineers have to improve the areo... which has been what's killing the racing. A standard engine will just make this worse.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2315165)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
FOTA does not just represent the manufacturer teams. It represents all the teams.
Yes but as Davyboy suggests the manufacturers (who most of the teams are effectively cowing down to) call the shots. Those shots are in their interests more than the teams or anyone else.

Changes (not necessariloy these ones) need to be forced through to a certain extent for the greater good of the wider audience.