Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Dec 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2346855)   #26
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The one that most impressed me was Pagenaud .
Old 3 Dec 2008, 23:04 (Ref:2346897)   #27
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola T70
Pity Sarrazan threw away Peugeots chance of the LMS Manufacturers title by trying that stupid move around the outside at Silverstone when the team told him to bring it home.

Saying that I agree he is fast, adaptable, but has not won a major race or championship so cannot get my vote....
it wasnt Sarrazin who crashed the #7 pug it was Minassian, isnt sarrazin in the #8 pug anyway?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2346939)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's gotta start with Brabs, McNish is great but Brabs broke out some of his own crazy moves to stretch leads or pull in the leaders through traffic at numerous tracks. Add in the fact he's the only driver to put a car on pole and have a win in all four classes in the ALMS, won GT1 at LM and came one dumb move by a teammate from having a good shot at the driver's championship in the ALMS. Can't wait to see what he can do in a new LMP1.

Is he coming back to LM with AMR for a three-peat in the swansong of the big GT1 battles?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2346948)   #29
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I would think so , as there is no mention of Acura turning up . He has been a regular Aston driver for the past few years .
Old 4 Dec 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2346953)   #30
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
it wasnt Sarrazin who crashed the #7 pug it was Minassian, isnt sarrazin in the #8 pug anyway?
Correct...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2346996)   #31
mazda1
Rookie

United States
Orlando,FL
mazda1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all saw how Michael Schumacher brought Ferrari to their winning form. Well, this year we saw Fernando Alonso do the same with Renault, so I think he wins overall, but I think McNish finished a close second, not only for they way he drove at petit, but for the motivation he gave the team that morning to fix the car and go on.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2347030)   #32
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice

Sarrazan crashed with Capello at the restart trying to go around the outside at the first corner and both went off. Sarrazan was told to finish the race by the team after Minassian crash for the Manufacturers title but he tried one of the dumbest moves I have seen in a long time.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2347036)   #33
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
My money is still on Tom Kristensen, considering sportscar drivers. Not because of his nationality, but due to his talent to drive anything with wheels on it..
Mine too!
Every single racing series Tom K has ever competed in he has won a race in the first year!.
Tom K is also very fast in single seaters, and back when ROC was an all rally event, Tom K proved to be just as fast as the low level professional, eventhough it was his first time in a WRC car!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2347255)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've changed the thread title to avoid any more silly confusion.

Alien McGnash for me...........
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2347303)   #35
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cant see why so many people see Allan McNish as a better driver than Tom Kristensen!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2347305)   #36
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Cant see why so many people see Allan McNish as a better driver than Tom Kristensen!
Outright pace. See Petit Le Mans 2008.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2347308)   #37
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
Outright pace. See Petit Le Mans 2008.
Wouldent it be a bit more fair to compare those two in a race, were they were both presents. Anything else doesnt really make any sense

I believe several of the Le Mans laprecords belonged to Mr K
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2347324)   #38
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Wouldent it be a bit more fair to compare those two in a race, were they were both presents. Anything else doesnt really make any sense

I believe several of the Le Mans laprecords belonged to Mr K
Thats what i believe to.
Besides, speed isn't all when running sportscars edurance!, Tom K does spare the car a bit more that McNish does, i believe!
Tom K did also beat Allan's ass in DTM!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2347363)   #39
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Thats what i believe to.
Besides, speed isn't all when running sportscars edurance!, Tom K does spare the car a bit more that McNish does, i believe!
Tom K did also beat Allan's ass in DTM!
Hmm, I didn't think Allan's ass, or any other part of his body was in DTM this year! And is not the name of the thread; Who´s the greatest sportscar racing driver of 2008??

L.P.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2347367)   #40
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Hmm, I didn't think Allan's ass, or any other part of his body was in DTM this year! And is not the name of the thread; Who´s the greatest sportscar racing driver of 2008??

L.P.
Well he was in 2005!, and i know this thread is about 2008, but i was just using it as an argument for the Tom K vs. Allan McNish
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2347373)   #41
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Well he was in 2005!, and i know this thread is about 2008, but i was just using it as an argument for the Tom K vs. Allan McNish
TK wasn't in the R10 enough this year to warrant consideration, in my opinion. How can you be "Best Sports Car Driver of 2008" having only contested one race?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2347389)   #42
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Well if his performance was so good that it makes him a nominee!?.
But i do also get our point, i just wondered why people generally though McNish is better than Kristensen! (which is off topic now, sorry!)
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2347444)   #43
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
But i do also get our point, i just wondered why people generally though McNish is better than Kristensen! (which is off topic now, sorry!)
It down to personal opinion really - although I dont suppose its a coincidence that the 2 people strongly promoting TK are both Danish

IMO Allan is better than anyone at getting through traffic quickly and this is so important in Sportscars - expecially in ALMS where the tracks are often smaller and tighter than the European ones.

TK is clearly better at looking after the car but still running consistently and quickly and therefore is so suited to Le Mans, but Allan too is right up there on this.

Overall it is down to personal choice - I dont know who is tultimately the quickest on a single hot lap in a sportscar - in 2008 I would guess it would be Allan but 5 years ago maybe it was different.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2347449)   #44
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With the Danish voting for TK I vote for Verstappen.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2347602)   #45
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD

Might be his wins to starts ratio for Audi being nearly 50%, winning every full American Le Mans Series Championships he has done, the Le Mans, Petit or Silverstone victories this year never mind some special races like Sears Point in 2000 or Lime rock 2006.

But TK's wins in Le Mans are pretty special as well, 8 might be beathen at some time in the future but will be a long time
Old 4 Dec 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2347674)   #46
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapomumalo
I must admit I started following F1 at the begining of the 1994 season, and some names comes to mi mind appart from the obvious. This names are Herbert, Morbidelli and Brabham...only the first received attention and was promoted from Lotus to Ligier ending the season, as the first step to get into Benetton in 1995. Morbidelli's achievements didn't caused much impression, and I'm still wondering why...he did great races with his poor Footwork-Ford and was usually the best of the V8 Cosworth in qualifying.

David Brabham, in the second worst F1 car, the Simtek in wich Ratzenmberger died, achieved some pretty decent results principally in Qualifying: Monaco, France, Hungary or Spa (their best), ..but the car was just unpowered and undriveable. He did the best a driver can do with such piece of Iron F1.

He should have had an opportunity driving in 1995...Ligier, Arrows, whatever...he was F1 material.

Those times are gone and now we are in 2008...as i said...only Frank the Tank can measure his achievements..and his LMP2 Tittle went to Porsche ending the season, just when the French ex F1 racer took over the Accura horns.
We share some common ground here. I wasn't attempting to include Brabham's F1 achievements as part of his 2008 record, though. I was rather responding to the idea that comparisons to F1 drivers - driving with or against them - is a particularly valid test, since there are F1 drivers, and then there are F1 drivers...

Where the reference to history is apt, is when looking at the 2008 record. Two drivers carried their equipment, rather than the other way around - McNish ('levitating' an R10 to a result against the faster Peugeot 908) and Brabham (astounding when he had a shot near the end, whether beating Porsche for P2 honors or Audi for overall...and the Acura was good, but not that good).
Old 7 Dec 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2349906)   #47
Nick10ths
Rookie

Nick10ths has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
With the Danish voting for TK I vote for Verstappen.
He's definitely the "Rookie of the year"