Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2691680)   #26
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or where Damon stands
Old 16 May 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2691681)   #27
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Confirmation of the above

Harsh, I think
Old 16 May 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2691683)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If true. I can't believe that Schumacher actually got a penalty for that when what we have seen previously in other races this season was far more deserving of one.

So much for the 'new order' in the FIA.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2691684)   #29
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he broke one of the regulations, which according to Autosport he did, then it's deserved. Blame the regs for this one rather than the stewards.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2691685)   #30
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think article 40.13 of the rulebook is very clear on this situation.
Quote:
40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.
meaning, the SC hÃ*d to pull in due to the rules, and the pass was illegal - because it was the last lap. Any other lap, it would've been legal, now it wasn't.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2691687)   #31
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But the Safety Car wasn't deployed and the green light was on.

Crazy

Oh, it's Ferrari
Old 16 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2691690)   #32
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ok I'm lost here - if the SC was still deployed, then surely the yellows should have remained out around the last section of the circuit, which was clearly not the case.

If you're going to have a rule about this, then fine. But if the circuit is deemed to be under safety car, even if the SC has gone in, the flags should indicate same and the SC boards should still be out. This makes no sense to me.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2691692)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So, why not just a reprimand? That seems to have been the 'default' procedure in previous races.

I'm no Schumacher fan, but this is just silly!
Old 16 May 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2691694)   #34
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap...
Maybe if the rules said on the last lap. The last lap did not end till Webber crossed the line and the safety car was in the pits. It was worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2691699)   #35
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I agree with you about this. LH's weaving was the most obvious disregard for the rules with a "reprimand", in this case there was at least some area for interpretation. The rules are so jumbled in imperfect. Putting him back ahead of Rosberg would seem a bit unfair to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
So, why not just a reprimand? That seems to have been the 'default' procedure in previous races.

I'm no Schumacher fan, but this is just silly!
Old 16 May 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2691701)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
How many positions (and points) does he lose with a 20 second penalty? What does that make the finishing position?
Old 16 May 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2691702)   #37
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
13th. Buemi takes points for 10th
Old 16 May 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2691703)   #38
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
... from F1fanatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
How many positions (and points) does he lose with a 20 second penalty? What does that make the finishing position?
Old 16 May 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2691705)   #39
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw it the only thing I was concerned about was the bump - then I was waiting for when Michael ran Alonso into the barrier but he didn't - he kept it in really tight. He got great traction out of that corner and made a clean (for Monaco) pass.

On the replay it was very clear that there was a green being signalled on the outside of the track to the drivers' left, viewers' right side, as the two cars come around the corner into the shot.

My posts show how much I am anti-Schumacher, yet this is the pass of the season for me! That was pure driver hunger, and skill.

Alonso just lost some points on the driver stock exchange.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2691706)   #40
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Oh that's just lunacy. Wonder if the outcome would have been the same if he'd overtaken a car that wasn't red.

At worst, he's guilty of misinterpreting the rules -which are extremely poorly written and hence subject to interpretation. Give Alonso back the position maybe, but 20 second penalty?

That kind of penalty is what you'd expect to see for dangerous driving, not for a technical rule breach.

I hope they're appealing.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2691708)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Blame the regs for this one rather than the stewards.
Exactly right, yet another "grey area" from the FIA rule book!

I have to say i can see each teams arguement, depending on their interpretation of the rules.

Feel sorry for Damon because he'll be seen as the bad guy.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2691709)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I thought having a driveras a steward would help but penalising a driver for overtaking a ferrari is just further evidence that F1 needs to wake up to the fact that if all races are just processions then it will die, at least one decent overtaking in the whole race and then that gets penalised.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2691711)   #43
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
On Speed the suggested MS would get no leniency from DH, guess they were right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Feel sorry for Damon because he'll be seen as the bad guy.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2691715)   #44
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems to me the real problem is the rules. Sounds like when they moved the start of racing at a restart away from the start finish line they forgot to change all the relevant references in the rules. The stewards have taken the narrow view that as they can point to a regulation Schumacher clearly broke he must be penalised.

I guess they are doing their job which is to apply the rules as written but it would have served natural justice better and felt like a much fairer outcome if they'd just dropped Schuie back one place to where he 'should' have been and issued a strong suggestion to the FIA to sort out the ambiguity in the rules.

As to why it wasn't a reprimand these have been issued because there was an element of judgement as to how far towards a type of behaviour that is not allowed did the driver really go, in this case once the stewards decided that it should have been no passing there was no room for judgement it became a matter of fact, Schuie did pass Alonso?

In any event it was a complete shambles, as so far as I could see all the officials, the Marshalls the teams and the commentators thought it was race on, somehow only Ferrari seemed to have read the relevant rule. The FIA need to clarify the process to be followed in this situation and move on.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2691717)   #45
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't the whole point of the Safety Car pulling into the pits when it did and the white line being put where it is, to allow the race to finish AS A RACE
Old 16 May 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2691719)   #46
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
apparently not. more likely it was done to get the SC out of the way for the photographers or something.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2691720)   #47
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible decision. From Damon of all people.

But even worse is the regulations that has different rules for the last lap. Madness.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2691723)   #48
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
video evidence: lights and flags were green.
Old 16 May 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2691725)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Terrible decision. From Damon of all people.
It is possible that he may have been against the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
But even worse is the regulations that has different rules for the last lap. Madness.
The rule is quite clear, apparently. But the interpretation of it isn't.

If the race was finished under the safety car, then why the green flags, lights and the removal of the 'SC' boards?
Old 16 May 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2691726)   #50
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
One question:

Why on earth should the rule change, just because it's the final lap? Sorry, I honestly can't see any good reason as to why the rule should change because of that.

Selby