Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3088857)   #26
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John
Great to hear about the Porsche entries. However do get the paperwork into MGCC asap as we haven't spotted the team details going up on the entry lists just yet !!!!!! - a special Deutsche team is being set up to accommodate your cars !!!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3088871)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Does the 'live' bit mean its going out on TV?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3088875)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No it's just the name of the event. Back in the 60s the BBC broadcast the racing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3088899)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its just that Bernies V8's have been invited and if it had been on TV I could have justified it but can't really now.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3088900)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some of them have.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3088906)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
All about money Pete or lack of it at the moment, I have two cars here ready to go!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3088908)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I want to buy a Fiat 500 for paddock car to get to and from Green Man and at Le Mans.Does that solve the problem.
Aka David Piper's John, sweet little car that is.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3088910)   #33
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, has something passed me by? Are we talking about the MG Car Club's race meeting. What has Bernie's V8 race got to do with MGs? Likewise of course the various other support races, but this in particular takes the biscuit. What connection is there between lumbering saloons and cheap popular British sports cars? (OK, I suppose there's a couple of V8Bs entered but my point stands!)

Whoops, must just pull myself up short of a full-blown rant here
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3088919)   #34
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'm puzzled too; looking at the entry lists I can't see any Murrican iron, and come to think of it where does Peter's Capri fit in? No all-comers enduro this year which I think is a great pity.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3088923)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's the JD Classics. I don't know why but it doesn't register on the MGCC web page.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3088963)   #36
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid its rather typical of the MGCC to attempt to restrict the numbers by insisting on Dunlops at the last minute for the MGB race; no wonder Barry decided to go with Julius and not enter DRX. Be interesting to see how they scrutineer eligibility.

I have three cars all ready to go but my Marcos is not welcome in Ecurie GTS (but they will let in all sorts of Appendix K 'type' cars), so I wont enter the Grantura either and I'm not spending over £900 on tyres which I will not use again in the foreseeable future for one race in the MGB.

I will be going to see lots of old mates, but its no little wonder we all prefer to race in Europe with better value, a warmer welcome and without the petty politics.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3089002)   #37
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Sorry, has something passed me by? Are we talking about the MG Car Club's race meeting. What has Bernie's V8 race got to do with MGs? Likewise of course the various other support races, but this in particular takes the biscuit. What connection is there between lumbering saloons and cheap popular British sports cars? (OK, I suppose there's a couple of V8Bs entered but my point stands!)

Whoops, must just pull myself up short of a full-blown rant here
Bernies V8s aren't there, Here's a list of races. Do you think a racing club that organise races for other marques as well as MGs should bar them from this meeting just because It's their annual bash?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3089004)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Some of Bernie's V8s have been invited to support the JD Classics.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3089010)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Fair enough but they don't have a stand alone race, which is a shame.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3089015)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
We were sent an email last week inviting us to join in (v8's). I was tempted as on the GP circuit I have never driven. As peter said apparently the race the invite was for is not listed on their site which confused me as well as all I could see were MG's.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3089028)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Shame Al because the circuit is great fun.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3089035)   #42
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Bernies V8s aren't there, Here's a list of races. .......
but it's not quite complete Tim, that's my point. As Peter explains they've omitted reference to the JD Classics (dunno why!) hence some confusion...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3089039)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Bernies V8s aren't there, Here's a list of races. Do you think a racing club that organise races for other marques as well as MGs should bar them from this meeting just because It's their annual bash?
These races push races for club members out of the way so gone are the High Speed Trials, the Handicaps and 2-driver races for club members who support the club year round at a whole range of events, not just racing. I suppose that the answer to your question is "Yes". I'm just a dinosaur, and can't accept the world has changed...Ignore me, it's a pointless rant of mine.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3089075)   #44
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
These races push races for club members out of the way so gone are the High Speed Trials, the Handicaps and 2-driver races for club members who support the club year round at a whole range of events, not just racing. I suppose that the answer to your question is "Yes". I'm just a dinosaur, and can't accept the world has changed...Ignore me, it's a pointless rant of mine.
You're not the only dinosaur Max; it's not what it was.

In the pursuit of £££s they are trying to cram as many races as possible in. Given the normal carnage with so many 'once a year' drivers, many of the races will be curtailed or dropped with no return of entry fees.

The High Speed Trial was a great opportunity for non race licence holders to get a taste of racing. How many wives, girlfriends and sons had their first proper taste of racing that way?

The handicaps and 2 driver races were great - seeing full modified Midgets, full house MGB V8s and MGF/ZRs all running at similar pace and never normally against each other. But maybe I'm biased as I won the last one I entered - ten years ago now.........
Old 11 Jun 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3089127)   #45
midgetman
Veteran

Funny that, the only car race I've ever won was also an MGCC Handicap race, at Donington Park. Ahem, slightly more than 10 years as well...

I disagree your point on the 'once a year' drivers, they mostly need to drive their cars home again. It's the aspiring "Champions" who cause the carnage.

Maybe I'll go back at MG Live in an invitation race and be self-important enough to block Graeme F's way back to his garage
Old 11 Jun 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3089148)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Maybe I'll go back at MG Live in an invitation race and be self-important enough to block ********'s way back to his garage
D'you want to borrow the truck?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3089197)   #47
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
D'you want to borrow the truck?
careful what you say - Max does have an HGV licence
Old 11 Jun 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3089231)   #48
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are certainly a few folk unhappy about being told late in the day that they had to get Dunlops when they had been told previously that they could run with Avons. Rather costly! I must buy some Dunlop shares.
It is odd that not all the races are listed on the website.
I am sure at one point there was to be a prewar sports car race to boost the declining numbers of MMMs. It's sad that this race drops in number every year but I suppose if you own a K3 you will get some nice offers of where you can race it.
The T series and As also seem in decline no doubt for the same reason. The cars are out there (there was a good entry for the A anniversary race a few years back) but don't come to MG Live!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3089235)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

Alas I let it lapse this year...I'm old enough to need a regular medical, and the renewal form made me remember how much I've forgotten about truck driving and the law, so I thought it safer on the rest of the road going public if i were no longer in charge of 40-odd tonnes
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3089277)   #50
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a race for pre war Cars. Legends are running a I hr race fro PW Sports cars. The MGA's are encouraged to enter the Fiscar race and The Iconics race is for the MGT's/F's etc. It seems a very Clubby sort of meeting and has every section of MG car very well covered.
As regards to ecconomics the GP track costs a country fortune to hire and if you have less than about 40 cars on a grid you will be loosing money !!!