bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Just an update on this...

Tried to use my track builder over the weekend, but the license has expired, and the site where I need to update the license has gone down with no signs of going back up. Could be a long wait. Can't say i'm too impressed.

Selby
BTW, last time I checked (it was about half a year ago...) it seemed like there were signs that Piddy was considering resuming the project and make a new version of BTB - happen to know anything about that?

bio
Old 20 Jul 2012, 05:32 (Ref:3108879)   #27
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Update: My friend's sending the project to me now. He's had a look and apparently fixed it..!

Selby
That's great, I hope the oval track is laid on too...
Old 20 Jul 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3109091)   #28
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Here it is in all its current glory..!

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
fuji.png  
Old 20 Jul 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3109092)   #29
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
BTW, last time I checked (it was about half a year ago...) it seemed like there were signs that Piddy was considering resuming the project and make a new version of BTB - happen to know anything about that?

bio
Not too sure tbh mate. Never used any of the Betas or anything like that. Always just waited for a definitive version to come out, but i'm not so sure what's going on with that!

Selby
Old 20 Jul 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3109103)   #30
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here it is in all its current glory..!

Selby
Yes, you did it Mr. Selby! Now all it needs is to refine it!
Old 25 Jul 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3111094)   #31
MagVanisher
Veteran

Oh, and BTW... Could you add this section too on the infield, if you don't mind?

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Fuji Speedway 4.png
Views:	7
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	37924

What do you think, will these changes break the 3 mile mark on both the oval part and the infield course?
Old 25 Jul 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3111147)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I highly doubt it i'm afraid mate.

More issues - the track will not export to rFactor, so it is not playable currently. Very frustrating. My friend is trying to find out what the issue is and i'm trying to troubleshoot, too. Once again, will keep you posted!

Selby
Old 6 Aug 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3116716)   #33
BLeeK
Rookie

BLeeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found yerz finally! ;-)
Export problem could be a naming conflict in rFactor as I've got a working upload from those files...
If you wish to test the work so far try this; http://www.mediafire.com/?lpsb2073gcsvps0
It's still missing the outter old section & I had to bring down the 'middle' road a bit so that I could get a smooth enough transition to join the 'Inner' road at the 4th intersection (2nd currently)
I was thinking the track feels as though the old section should be slightly higher down that back strait looking down on the others, Just been chatting with Dan else where so now I can get on with doing that job as he agrees.
Im loving where the road joins & there's a slight lip where it meets the camber at the first & last turns-Im sure you will too, just as one of the others now makes a cool ever tightening intersection I'll let you know about the extra bits in a few days time.
Oh, & be carefull at the moment, there's NO objects of any sort, just minimal terrain & very basic pits to get it going.
There is a working AI line too.
Have fun & tell me what you think!

Old 6 Aug 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3116859)   #34
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeeK View Post
Export problem could be a naming conflict in rFactor[/URL]
Unfortunately, it can be a lot of other things, too... rFactor sometimes just doesn't feel like accpeting tracks files exported from BTB, for no apparent reason... Happened to me, too, a lot of times.

bio
Old 7 Aug 2012, 02:58 (Ref:3116909)   #35
BLeeK
Rookie

This Export version works on my PC, I'll rename though the next Export All_ways_Fuiji & see if anyone else is still having troubles.
If there's no troubles afterwards then I can pass this over to Dan to finish the terrain & decorations/furniture while I get back to some other projects Ive got here & need to clear out of my overfull projects folder.
I'll keep that last link active right up until I upload the full version so go for a test spin & see what you think folks.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 03:30 (Ref:3116913)   #36
MagVanisher
Veteran

Say, can you convert it to GTR 2 if possible so I can test it?
Old 7 Aug 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3116945)   #37
BLeeK
Rookie

Once Ive got the 2 pieces of the old outter loop stitched in then yeah sure.
After installing BTB Evo I can just drop the Pro versions project file in, change the material names & Export....
Old 7 Aug 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3116993)   #38
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yep, this sounds good for all parties, Lee Nice one dude!

Mag, this is the pal i've been referring to!

Selby
Old 14 Aug 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3119911)   #39
BLeeK
Rookie

All-righty, All Ways Fuiji has now been Exported into;
rF- http://www.mediafire.com/?98mj47muyr6b6qe

AND

GTR2- http://www.mediafire.com/?m9yci7g4k70lwsx

There's still only 3panels/7meters of terrain on each side of the road as Im leaving the rest for Dan to build.
If I find time between building my own version of Complex String & Stotfold Village (my immediate projects) as well as getting on with the whole reason I started building tracks, my 84km/52mile mutha called Bungonia, I might even build a version of my own of it-which should be interesting as I've never seen it in real life (video clips) & barely took an interest of it besides passing licenses in Gran Tourismo! LoL
Let me know what you think, I can still change some bits without disturbing the joins.
I haven't really done much with the bits I added so the old section is still fairly flat-as mentioned-I don't really know HOW it's supposed to go/flow....
There's working AI but fast path is barely fast
I'll keep both files up on my account until Dan is ready with another

(BTW, I dont have GTR2 so Im unable to test & Ive never Exported for it before!)
Old 15 Aug 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3120227)   #40
MagVanisher
Veteran

Tested out Fuji today, but it seems that the turns for the outfield needs to be banked as it should be.

Also, the backstretch needs to be straight. That's my feedback so far...
Old 15 Aug 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3120332)   #41
BLeeK
Rookie

I followed the drawing underneath as closely as possible in regards to the back strait.
It was a balancing act combining it all to get it to line up....
If it had've been me starting the project from scratch (and I wouldn't have as short circuits aren't really my fortay[spelling?]), I would have laid out the old circuit first....
As for cambers, Im sure Dan will be able to sort that out easily enough without disturbing the intersections as he's already done a bloody marvelous job cambering the new & add-on sections of the track!
Possibly if I knew the track I might've been able to do a better job....
I like how the lip at the last & first turns kicks the car about a little, are you happy with the joins themselves?
I just sorta did it the only way I could see that it could be done, perhaps if I was a more experienced builder I could have done them differently....
Im still waiting to hear back from Dan about his thoughts on it but I think he's a little busy at the moment.

Errr...just checked my Mediafire account & it says there's been no downloads of the current files....
How did you test it? LoL
Don't worry, your description sounds about spot-on to me it must be a lag at Mediafire...
Old 15 Aug 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3120355)   #42
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tried the GTR2 version. Works fine in day and night although night is scary with a very fast T1 and only your headlights to find it!!! As for the track itself, It is really good. It has a really nice mix of fast and technical corners with nothing too stop-start. It also has a nice flow. The joins are also well done. They're slightly bumpy but that just adds to the challenge, I wouldn't change them.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3120521)   #43
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeeK View Post
I followed the drawing underneath as closely as possible in regards to the back strait.
It was a balancing act combining it all to get it to line up....
If it had've been me starting the project from scratch (and I wouldn't have as short circuits aren't really my fortay[spelling?]), I would have laid out the old circuit first....
As for cambers, Im sure Dan will be able to sort that out easily enough without disturbing the intersections as he's already done a bloody marvelous job cambering the new & add-on sections of the track!
Possibly if I knew the track I might've been able to do a better job....
I like how the lip at the last & first turns kicks the car about a little, are you happy with the joins themselves?
I just sorta did it the only way I could see that it could be done, perhaps if I was a more experienced builder I could have done them differently....
Im still waiting to hear back from Dan about his thoughts on it but I think he's a little busy at the moment.

Errr...just checked my Mediafire account & it says there's been no downloads of the current files....
How did you test it? LoL
Don't worry, your description sounds about spot-on to me it must be a lag at Mediafire...
Well, you may try using an existing Fuji Speedway from either GTR2 or rFactor as a basis. Then, add the oval outfield and modify the existing infield track according to the new layout.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3133221)   #44
MagVanisher
Veteran

Say, any updates on this?
Old 15 Sep 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3136157)   #45
BLeeK
Rookie

As mentioned before, I think Dan is a little busy lately & to be honest, my time for spending on track builds is limited...
I only signed on for the joining of the tracks as I have close to a dozen projects of my own & other peoples already that Im trying to get through of which only 2 are 'normal' race circuits, one a 'classic' (Port Wakefield South Australia 1.3mile lap) & my own interpretation of Complex String from Gran Tourismo3.
My other projects are Bungonia (84km lap), Peel-Bathurst (1927/22mile lap), Hartley Vale (1918-37 6km lap) as well as finishing an AIW for Mt Arrowsmith (47.5km) & re-working Cannonball Run with 5 separate routes of upto 87km's, & another 'love-job' of an English Village for a Rally stage as well as several 'experiments' AND hoping to start on Port Kembla (4km lap) sometime in the next few months...
IF Dan still hasn't carried on with this by the time I get a few of them finished, then I will take another look at the project....
After all, it was his 'baby' & having seen some of his other work Im sure he's the best man for this project...
Old 5 Oct 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3146764)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I just put something together quickly in SketchUp. The dimensions won't be exactly accurate, but it should give the gist of my proposal.

I'm sure I could refine it more, but this gives the basic idea, and I wanted to keep a flowing circuit that wasn't terribly complicated.

Attached are the skp files with a backing plate and the centerline outline drawn. I've attached both the roval outline, and the road course by itself.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Fuji Roval.skp (47.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: skp Fuji.skp (44.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 10 Oct 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3149200)   #47
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I just put something together quickly in SketchUp. The dimensions won't be exactly accurate, but it should give the gist of my proposal.

I'm sure I could refine it more, but this gives the basic idea, and I wanted to keep a flowing circuit that wasn't terribly complicated.

Attached are the skp files with a backing plate and the centerline outline drawn. I've attached both the roval outline, and the road course by itself.
Um, could you post that layout in JPG or PNG format? I would like to see it.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3151058)   #48
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the problem with the current Fuji layout is that it has way too many slow corners. The Coca-Cola curve and 100R are the only fast corners in the circuit, and that sequence plus the following Hairpin are the only corners I like in simulations. On the other hand, the old long final corner was even better than those corners, Tilke just removed it. And I think that was a mistake, that corner made Fuji special. If I had been Tilke redesigning Fuji, I would’ve definitely kept that corner, with or without the Dunlop chicane. If needed, I would’ve moved that corner a bit inwards to create more runoff. And if the lap would’ve been too short, I would’ve had an infield section in place of the Dunlop chicane.

Anyway, here’s a simple modification to the Fuji circuit (length 4.5 km):

The old final corner was great to drive in sims, and I guess the G-forces would be huge with an F1 car. But in sims, it was great to go through that corner wheel to wheel. And I think we could see something similar in that long corner leading to a hairpin.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to design a roval. The original oval was probably not meant to have a 1.5km main straight, instead it was meant to be a 2.5-mile superspeedway, probably like Daytona. But the original developer ran out of money after completing the first corner banking, and the new developer made it a road course instead. But if we keep the main straight intact, the oval would be very long.

Anyway, here’s my roval design and old circuit for comparision:

The road course would be 6.8 km and oval 4.6 km/2.9 mi. It would have tighter left-handers before joining the short circuit than the original. That’s to accommodate run-offs. In the Coca-Cola, 100R, and Hairpin corners, my proposal would follow the current circuit, not the old. But after Hairpin, the track would turn left for a new long right-hander leading to the oval’s 2nd corner. That would bring back some of the charm of the old final corner, that could be a flat-out section, and it would end up with a hairpin creating an overtaking spot before a short infield arena section. And that arena section would lead to the oval’s final corner leading to main straight. The final oval corner would shorten the main straight a bit, yet the banked final corner would compensate that.

There could be also be other circuit variations:

There would be the current 1st turn hairpin to avoid the 1st oval corner, that would reduce the road course’s distance to 5.1 km. And there would also be a variation (red) that would bypass all oval sections and be used e.g. by motorbikes that can’t use the oval sections. Its distance would be 3.8 km. Besides, in the infield there would be a 2.6 km club circuit.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3151727)   #49
MagVanisher
Veteran

The last layout is the best one I have ever seen.

If we could stretch the main straight a little bit, we could have a 3 mile oval.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3152843)   #50
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think the problem with the current Fuji layout is that it has way too many slow corners. The Coca-Cola curve and 100R are the only fast corners in the circuit, and that sequence plus the following Hairpin are the only corners I like in simulations. On the other hand, the old long final corner was even better than those corners, Tilke just removed it. And I think that was a mistake, that corner made Fuji special. If I had been Tilke redesigning Fuji, I would’ve definitely kept that corner, with or without the Dunlop chicane. If needed, I would’ve moved that corner a bit inwards to create more runoff. And if the lap would’ve been too short, I would’ve had an infield section in place of the Dunlop chicane.

Anyway, here’s a simple modification to the Fuji circuit (length 4.5 km):

The old final corner was great to drive in sims, and I guess the G-forces would be huge with an F1 car. But in sims, it was great to go through that corner wheel to wheel. And I think we could see something similar in that long corner leading to a hairpin.
This is amazing. Tilke should have done that right away instead of insisting on replicating the old 300 R chicane which was only built later on to slow cars down.