Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3183314)   #26
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I add - in the wet, and then add H.J.Stuck
Old 31 Dec 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3183315)   #27
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
I am the best F1 driver.....on the xbox
Old 31 Dec 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3183339)   #28
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Does he still hold the fastest race lap record, Bon?
I'm not sure he does but he had it in a long time...
Old 31 Dec 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3183345)   #29
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would say Ayrton was perhaps the fastest, Clark fairly close to him, Rindt maybe too. Maybe of the current crop Seb, but not until he has driven something else!

A few others near, Gilles, Fernando, Lewis, Hakkinen.

But I think you can only look at Ayrton, I would not rate him as the best racer, but certainly the fastest there has been so far, and importantly I think he proved himself in many cars, turbo, NA, normal gears, semi auto, wet etc etc.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3183355)   #30
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really surprised no one has said Verstappen yet
Old 31 Dec 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3183390)   #31
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think of the current drivers it's Hamilton. He's been consistently faster than his teammates. And even in his Rookie season was equally quick with Alonso. His ability to get more than what others can in the same car stands out. And in 09 with a 5th fastest car at best, he was still in the hunt for podiums and wins (the car did improve somewhat through the year though). I can't say about the older generation, too many to list. Shumacher in his day, Senna, Prost, even Juan Pablo Montoya could be listed.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3183401)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As the OP asked who was the fastest 'of all time', everyone knows what I'm going to say......
Old 31 Dec 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3183419)   #33
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To begin to answer, one would have had to have seen every Grand Prix driver race. Very few have.

One would then have to have a way to separate the driver from the car, which in car racing, is not possible (and never should be...a car can interest me much more than a stranger in a helmet driving one can...).

Haven't seen many F1 drivers who were "slow," either, so that's another difficulty added.

At the end of the day, there's a case to be made for the guy with the most poles being the fastest and the guy with the most WDCs being the greatest. Not because they are flawless, but because they are the least horrible of measures for that thing as they reflect the goals (in qualifying, to be the fastest, and in racing, to win the championship). Thus, accomplishing them the most (or with the most frequency, if one prefers), makes one the best...

There's also a case for not being so bound to statistics, too.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3183423)   #34
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
What exactly does "fast" mean in this context?
My own conclusion is that the outright fastest, is the guy who would set the quickest single lap, in dry, neutral conditions, in a neutral handling car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Does he still hold the fastest race lap record, Bon?
MOntoya has definitely beaten him since, at Monza, in the Williams one time. I'm not confident to say he's been beaten since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannabyjj View Post
No it's definitely not in order and yes prost was quick but I feel his strengths like button almost lay more in the race
Does anything else really matter, though?
Old 31 Dec 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3183424)   #35
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Alan van der Mewe...Fastest F1 driver of all time on land.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/21/h...at-bonneville/

And you all thought I was just a pretty face..
Like I said on the cricket thread...
Old 1 Jan 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3183431)   #36
hannabyjj
Rookie

hannabyjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
My own conclusion is that the outright fastest, is the guy who would set the quickest single lap, in dry, neutral conditions, in a neutral handling car.

MOntoya has definitely beaten him since, at Monza, in the Williams one time. I'm not confident to say he's been beaten since.

Does anything else really matter, though?
Well yeah because if you are slow in quali but good in the race you might have to start at 10th so won't have as good a Grand Prix as a guy who
Is quicker and starts 1st and is similar in the race.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 02:57 (Ref:3183462)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quite.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3183468)   #38
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannabyjj View Post
Well yeah because if you are slow in quali but good in the race you might have to start at 10th so won't have as good a Grand Prix as a guy who
Is quicker and starts 1st and is similar in the race.
The majority (barely) of Alonso's wins aren't from pole. Sure, you'd like the driver who gets the Grand Slam, but as long as he or she is on the top step of the podium by Sunday's end, good enough.

Fast is good, but hard to isolate from all the other variables, and ultimately, not necessary to, as the "fastest" doesn't always get the prize.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3183517)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
The majority (barely) of Alonso's wins aren't from pole. Sure, you'd like the driver who gets the Grand Slam, but as long as he or she is on the top step of the podium by Sunday's end, good enough.

Fast is good, but hard to isolate from all the other variables, and ultimately, not necessary to, as the "fastest" doesn't always get the prize.
But who wins the prize wasn't the question - the question was who was the fastest, so the variables are of no consequence in this thread, as far as I can see.....
Old 1 Jan 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3183523)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Quite.
This post now makes no sense at all. Thanks Adam. Happy New Year!
Old 1 Jan 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3183553)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I thought you were asking for silence, dyslexically........
Old 1 Jan 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3183558)   #42
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But who wins the prize wasn't the question - the question was who was the fastest, so the variables are of no consequence in this thread, as far as I can see.....
Right, but I was wondering why we need to isolate the fastest, when being the fastest on its own does not have large bearing on what's important in F1.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3183577)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
This post now makes no sense at all. Thanks Adam. Happy New Year!
How do you explain the other 21,676? Happy New Year
Old 1 Jan 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3183581)   #44
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Impossible question, but the answer is still Jim Clark.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3183583)   #45
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm not sure he does but he had it in a long time...
JPM beat it, iirc.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3183592)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Right, but I was wondering why we need to isolate the fastest.....
Because that's what the OP asked!
Old 1 Jan 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3183637)   #47
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Due to the nature of the sport, this is something that will be debated on forums like this for decades to come and there will never be a clear cut decision on how truly is the fastest driver based on personal opinion.

However, it is an immensely enjoyable topic and I will throw my hat into the ring with Jim Clark
Old 1 Jan 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3183647)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England

Substituting Senna for Clark
Old 1 Jan 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3183665)   #49
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartincolin View Post
Due to the nature of the sport, this is something that will be debated on forums like this for decades to come and there will never be a clear cut decision on how truly is the fastest driver based on personal opinion.
I would go further... it is impossible for anyone to know, so any proposition that driver a) is the fastest rather than driver b) being the fastest is quite ridiculous...

And to anyone who DARE say I am not taking the fun side of this argument into consideration, I am simply being as objective as Michael Schumacher would be - if he didn't have an ego too...
Old 3 Jan 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3184119)   #50
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess would be, in no particular order....

Nuvolari, Clark, Senna.