Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give it?
10 0 0%
9 1 1.92%
8 1 1.92%
7 9 17.31%
6 11 21.15%
5 13 25.00%
4 6 11.54%
3 6 11.54%
2 2 3.85%
1 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jun 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3546062)   #26
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This race threatened excitement, but then just fizzled out. A couple of exciting moves through the field, but Lewis had it well covered. It was actually the first race that just didn't 'spark' with me, but then thy could be the lack of sleep from being awoken at 3:30am by an 18month old and not going back to sleep...
Old 8 Jun 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3546183)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Certainly a good race if you knew where to look. Hardly the worst race of the year. And the fact Lewis had to save the car meant he didn't run and hide and meant Rosberg kept him honest. Long straights make great racing here. Just need bigger tyres and less aero. 7/10
Old 8 Jun 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3546313)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Terrible.

Only Massa and Vettel made it somewhat bearable. 3/10

I guess the gopher was somewhat entertaining as well, but whatever.
Minus another 1 for lift and coast all round, and that is exactly what the overhead shots looked like, seen more interesting grid formation laps, not sprint racing at all!

2/10
Old 9 Jun 2015, 03:06 (Ref:3546345)   #29
Rindt70
Rookie

Rindt70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6/10 thanks to Vettel and Massa
if they would have started in front positions, the race would be a 2/10
Old 9 Jun 2015, 06:32 (Ref:3546376)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't Montréal just one of the best places now to watch Grand Prix cars? I was enthused throughout the race. I think the layout combined with the proximity of the cars made watching their behaviour thrilling throughout the race. Everything had a real sense of speed for me, as well as challenge what with corners like the final chicane and some of the first sector. Loved it as usual, so will give it a 9.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3546422)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Isn't Montréal just one of the best places now to watch Grand Prix cars? I was enthused throughout the race. I think the layout combined with the proximity of the cars made watching their behaviour thrilling throughout the race. Everything had a real sense of speed for me, as well as challenge what with corners like the final chicane and some of the first sector. Loved it as usual, so will give it a 9.
Nothing quite as much fun as watching a car lift off 100 metres early and coasting through a corner, but clenching!

You must have a lot of fun watching your lawn grow!
Old 9 Jun 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3546436)   #32
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. Some of the comments on here suggest people watch Formula 1 for one purpose, and that's to pick holes in what they see and complain about it. This season hasn't been hugely memorable but it'd be nice to actually acknowledge a decent race, instead of moan about minor things that had no impact on the racing itself.

I'm starting to believe that Formula 1 desperately needs to look for a new fan base because their current fan base aren't enthusiasts at all, just all looking for their perfect F1. With no compromises. Good luck with that.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3546455)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Wow. Some of the comments on here suggest people watch Formula 1 for one purpose, and that's to pick holes in what they see and complain about it. This season hasn't been hugely memorable but it'd be nice to actually acknowledge a decent race, instead of moan about minor things that had no impact on the racing itself.

I'm starting to believe that Formula 1 desperately needs to look for a new fan base because their current fan base aren't enthusiasts at all, just all looking for their perfect F1. With no compromises. Good luck with that.
Indeed, there have been much worse races than this. What do they want, a Monza style slipstreamer all the time?
Old 9 Jun 2015, 12:09 (Ref:3546465)   #34
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed, there have been much worse races than this. What do they want, a Monza style slipstreamer all the time?
Umm, you did post this in the Indycar thread did you not?

"No he didn't lead the title that year. Certainly what also hurt him was the late season rule change that favoured Bridgestone.

Watched both Detroit races, exciting and taught F1 a thing or two"
S.griffin
Old 9 Jun 2015, 13:57 (Ref:3546509)   #35
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Umm, you did post this in the Indycar thread did you not?

"No he didn't lead the title that year. Certainly what also hurt him was the late season rule change that favoured Bridgestone.

Watched both Detroit races, exciting and taught F1 a thing or two" S.griffin
Indycar can teach F1 lessons in terms of creating excitement (helped by the rain at Detroit) but a few things they have (spec chassis) wouldn't be wanted by F1 fans in general. Or F1 teams.

And I read the 2 comments as S Griffin suggesting F1 can be improved, but the race at Canada and the state of F1 wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be.

I can never understand how pretty much nobodyseems remotely capable of appreciating F1 for what it is. It's not that bad. Yes Merc are dominant, but other than that there isn't much wrong imo. The midfield racing is good (albeit a long way off last year) and the quality of drivers is right up there with the best ever grids. The cars look and sound good (I do prefer the V8 sound but there is something about these new engines). Every time Formula 1 changes something, the fans see it as a change for the worse. I can't understand that.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3546522)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from a sporting point of view, there is a lack of competition. as is being discussed in other threads, the set of possible winners (barring chance and luck) is at any given moment a set which only includes one team.

the development rules being what they are and the lack of testing means the team in second will struggle to improve.

the financial structure being what it is means that if a team arrives at the first race of the year with the second best car of the year, they will stay there all season and its actually to their benefit to stay in second, save money, cut their losses and move on to next years chassis and hope it turns out differently.

now im not trying to be all doom and gloom and saying all of what makes 'sport' sport is missing from F1 (there are glimpses of it during some midfield battles) but it has to be acknowledged that the things that makes sports appealing (competition, development, opposition) is lacking in F1 and thats a problem.

if its not sport then it just is not compelling imo.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 16:45 (Ref:3546569)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't watch it, so can't score it. Sounds as though I didn't miss much.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3546591)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Didn't watch it, so can't score it. Sounds as though I didn't miss much.
You missed the Gopher or giant Squirrel, or what ever it was so here it is at 05:40.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33043513
Old 9 Jun 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3546604)   #39
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the problem is not the lack of competion, but the lack of unpredictability.

F1 has always had periods of domination by one team. What has changed in the modern era is the reliability of the cars. This means that it is almost certain that if Mercedes are on pole they will go on to win the race. Cars just don't break down anymore. Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't unusual for only half the field to finish. It was this unpredictability that often provided most of the excitement.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3546621)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thats a very fair point about the reliability.

after 7 races, Merc is already 105 points ahead of Ferrari, who are 76 points ahead of Williams, who in turn are 50 points clear of RB, who happens to be 25 odd points ahead of the next four teams whose collective budget is probably equal to that of RB.

the top four teams are all islands unto themselves not worried about who is ahead or behind them on the ladder. to me that speaks to lack of competition at the sharp end.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3546645)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've talked about the reliability before - and I agree it is a real issue. In the past, although one team might dominate, you knew they would have at least a couple of engine or other major failures. Now so little breaks that there are so few question marks. But to hear of drivers having to coast to save fuel, that is verging on the ludicrous. If we're having these conversations, surely those who are closely involved are doing so as well?
Old 9 Jun 2015, 23:00 (Ref:3546687)   #42
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post

That's the thing though ... the race itself was not a decent or shining example of close, tough racing that fans want to see.

When they see teams folding, predictable race results and apathy from the sports bosses that give the appearance of an anaemic, stagnant sport that is becoming less & less exciting each year, then it is very much cause for concern. It is hardly, as described in the quote above, a collection of 'minor things that had no impact on the racing itself'.

The sports bosses would do well to address those concerns, sooner, rather than later or never, if they want to rescue F1 from the doldrums it most certainly is in, and I'm not talking about a 'change a little bit here, a little bit there' mentality either.

It needs massive revamping to not only become more attractive to potential sponsors or new teams, but promote close, fast, tough exciting racing that gives current teams, drivers, fans and potential new fans something to look forward to, as well as make it more affordable / cost effective for the participants.
The race fans don't need luck - F1 does - and in its current state, it has about as much chance of attracting a new fan base as I do piloting the first manned mission to Mars.

When you have Martin Brundle also criticizing the race in Montreal - see link below - by saying effectively that F1 is taking itself down, and providing reasons for it, then if that mirrors the majority of fans / commentators / drivers / ex-drivers opinions, then those comments are ignored at the sport's own peril.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...-1227390801554

Last edited by sweetchuk; 9 Jun 2015 at 23:11.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 00:11 (Ref:3546700)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerdic View Post
I think the problem is not the lack of competion, but the lack of unpredictability.

F1 has always had periods of domination by one team. What has changed in the modern era is the reliability of the cars. This means that it is almost certain that if Mercedes are on pole they will go on to win the race. Cars just don't break down anymore. Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't unusual for only half the field to finish. It was this unpredictability that often provided most of the excitement.
By competition I take it you mean the drivers?

Otherwise yes, I totally agree. Attrition was such a big part of a GP, who would eventually finish the race was as much a part of the race as who would eventually win.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 04:19 (Ref:3546730)   #44
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7, love the track, just tired of the Mercedes march.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3546788)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

That's what made last year's race a thriller, with the Mercedes in brake trouble, it made it unpredictable to the end.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3546791)   #46
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

If the drivers were forced to drive absolutely on the limit from flag to flag and the cars became beached in sand traps when they got it wrong, you would have brought unpredictability back, without good drives being penalized by mechanical fragility, the racing would be epic!
Old 11 Jun 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3547382)   #47
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If the drivers were forced to drive absolutely on the limit from flag to flag and the cars became beached in sand traps when they got it wrong, you would have brought unpredictability back, without good drives being penalized by mechanical fragility, the racing would be epic!
Hmm, I doubt it would be epic. Probably about the same as watching a FFord race, for 2 hrs.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3547468)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
even if all the drivers drove 100% on the limit all the time how would the situational order be any different?

maybe this is just semantics but i dont want to see anyone take Eau Rouge at 100%. i want the car to have more power then the driver knows what to do with it. i want them to have only a vague idea where the limit is and i want to watch them try to figure it out lap after lap because the ease with which these cars can go 100% is part of the problem no?

simply going faster or making the cars faster is not the way forward imo.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3547487)   #49
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Meh. 6. Fantastic track and setting that normally produces more than this race did.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3548021)   #50
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
even if all the drivers drove 100% on the limit all the time how would the situational order be any different?

maybe this is just semantics but i dont want to see anyone take Eau Rouge at 100%. i want the car to have more power then the driver knows what to do with it. i want them to have only a vague idea where the limit is and i want to watch them try to figure it out lap after lap because the ease with which these cars can go 100% is part of the problem no?

simply going faster or making the cars faster is not the way forward imo.
That is the point Chilli, 600 bhp with no downforce would be way overpowered, you would have to treat the throttle very carefully indeed, it would lead to a race where the man who could drive closest to 100% of what was available would win, mistakes would lose races.