Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:49 (Ref:270499)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Mr v, the fairest way is to have a single tyre manufacturer and to forbid the development during the year. (But we don't want stagnation do we... that's why we love Formula 1 so much)
Red........this is the point i'm trying to make (sort of) with regards to no development etc..thats why i said the 2 manufacturers (as theres 2) just turning up and saying race this.....what i should have said earlier was not allow just 1 team to develope the tyre!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:52 (Ref:270502)   #27
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but what would you do? Get average results with 2 teams or win with only one of them? Besides, this is extremely stimulative for the second team: improve the performances and be the chosen one next year.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:53 (Ref:270503)   #28
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it does backfire. Teams spend too much money in F1 to be sold out by their tire manufacturer. Teams will have no faith in their tires. As if Bridgestone does not have enough problems with their Firestone line. Now they are digging a deeper hole. Wish 'em the worst.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:56 (Ref:270504)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
yes Red, your right.......you go for the win with 1 team, but that doesn't make it fair for the other 4 teams that are contracted to you!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:59 (Ref:270506)   #30
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly but very true. But as you previously said, it's business. Me the tyre manufacturer want to beat the competition and/or to be "fair". In that order.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:04 (Ref:270508)   #31
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe if there was a championship for tires, with all points scored counting, the tire companies would pay attention to more than just one team. Someone here pointed out that Michelin tires have scored waaaaay more points, but a Bridgestone tire runner is ahead in the driver's points. So there would be little point in favoring one team if it cost you the tire maker's championship. If you are a tire maker, the tire championship is what would be important.

It could offer a patrial solution. It would also be a good reward for the tire companies.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:28 (Ref:270534)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
i think your idea could make things even worse doc.....lets use ferrari as an example, if there was a "tyre constructors cup" the bridgestone tyre would be even more dialed in to the ferrari than it already i (if thats possible) and the team would score even more 1-2's..and 16 points, the michelins could take the other 4 points scoring positions.but that only equals 10 points total....and the remaining 4 bridgestone teams are in even more trouble!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:32 (Ref:270539)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a good idea Doc !

And this can motivate teams to have an official tyre supplier. Which will mean that others will look up for new suppliers, and then we can have 5 or more tyre suppliers in F1.

Like ahnnn.... Ferrari/Ferrari/Bridgestone
McLaren/Mercedes/GoodYear
Williams/BMW/Michelin
Renault/Renault/Pirelli

Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:38 (Ref:270551)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
....Grrr...

Yeah, and we're back to the same situation.

Only the top six scoring... so, the tyres suppliers would only be interest in the 3 top teams.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:52 (Ref:270569)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
not nessessarily Bon, the 4 teams you mentioned will all be capable of winning gp's and with 4 different tyre suppliers it would make things very interesting!

the Doc's idea is a good 1......but the point i'm trying to make there is that bridgestone have ferrari, they don't really need another team, but if you had 5 tyre suppliers, each with a top 5 team and then with a 6th - 11th team it would make things more interesting as each supplier would only hae 2 teams to concern themselves with!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 18:00 (Ref:270583)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
i've been giving this a little more thought.(sorry if i'm boring you now!) about the docs idea of a tyre constructors cup and if you took the top 5 teams and put them all on a different tyre and then paired each team up with the opposite end of the ladder..........i.e. ferrari with minardi etc then it could work! the best making up for the worst etc!

here's how i think it could work (pairings) numbers in brackets indicate where i think the teams are in terms of ability!

bridgestone.....(1) ferrari and arrows (10) minardi (11)
michelin........(2) williams and jaguar (9)
goodyear........(3) mclaren and bar (8)
pirelli.........(4) renault and jordan (7)
dunlop..........(5) sauber and toyota (6)
Old 26 Apr 2002, 13:47 (Ref:271211)   #37
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
I think the press can play a big role in this. If they send the message that Bridgestone needs to specially design tires for Ferrari in order to beat Michellin then the reason why in F1 might backfire.

Would you buy a Bridgestone knowing they are not good for everyone? I would not.
Haven't you seen the "One man, one car, one tire" Bridgestone ads?