Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2002, 23:44 (Ref:297050)   #26
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Sato won't last two years - he can't. Eddie would run out of cars and go bankrupt long before the two years are up.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 27 May 2002, 01:39 (Ref:297074)   #27
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Seeing the flexibilty and intensity of Sato, he would make a great f3 driver. F1 is a different ballgame though. The cars are heavier and stamina levels required are much higher.
Old 27 May 2002, 05:50 (Ref:297135)   #28
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Sato should be bumped back to test driver. Let him get completely used to the car, the speed and make sure he cuts down on the accidents before they put him back in the car.

Meanwhile, get some other young talented driver in there, but preferably with F3000 experience (maybe even a champion), who is British, about 6 ft tall and currently driving in Spain. Now who could that be???
Old 27 May 2002, 10:03 (Ref:297271)   #29
Tazio Nuvolari
Rookie

Tazio Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many who are criticising Sato for overdriving and going off etc also have Gilles Villeneuve in their list of all time greats ? many I suspect It wasn't unusual for Gilles to spin 10 or 15 times in a race weekend, practice, qualifying and race in his first season or so because he was finding his limits on tracks he didn't know and often exceeded these limits

Sato is an exciting talent, he has been right on Fisi's pace throughout the season, on 4 or 5 races he has either been right next to him or ahead of him at some point, compare this with Fisi's previous team mates like Button and Wurz who were usually lucky to be on the same lap as him.

Sato is an exciting talent, maybe the most exciting since Schumacher, he will come good
Old 27 May 2002, 10:27 (Ref:297289)   #30
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, when Fisi was asked about the crash, and was told that Sato reckoned he was letting him past, he just laughed and said "no way". If Sato can have a crash like that all on his own he must be considered a danger.
Old 27 May 2002, 11:46 (Ref:297404)   #31
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man - I feel sorry for his pit team and mechanics. All that flippin hard work just to see the car come back each time with no wheels.

I bet (of those that are still left) there's quite a few who look at their shoes or intently at their VDU's when he walks around the factory!
Old 27 May 2002, 13:10 (Ref:297498)   #32
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's fast, but come on, to move across in the tunnel was just plain stupid. To me, that wasn't a rookie mistake, it was a fundamental error of judgement with the obvious results.

I'd like to see him do well. I've got nothing against him, but how much patience has Eddie got? He's let on that finances aren't brilliant for the team so all this 'battle damage' can't be helping.
Old 27 May 2002, 15:28 (Ref:297621)   #33
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen did it all on his own last year. However he soon lost his job. If I was Eddie Jordan, as much as I hate to say it, Sato would not be in the next race. I would take him out for at least 2 races so he can get his priorities straight.
Old 27 May 2002, 15:49 (Ref:297635)   #34
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SATO made a bad choice in where to move over after being given a team instruction , ok , a very bad choice ! , but at the time he was ahead of Fisi which says alot for Sato's talent . Fisi is a master around Monaco and also has much experience too . Sato had a great start and made up many places , also made the overtaking move of the race as well .

not bad for a driver who shouldnt be in F1 is it ?

In the race Fisi made a very bad attempt at overtaking someone going in to the chicane , and then became a road block as he had the wrong line etc to get round the chicane , Sato had to avoid hitting him by cutting across the chicane .
Are we all saying that Fisi is a idiot because he risked taking out him and his teammate in a silly overtaking attempt ??? NO WERE NOT , its part of racing isnt it , but when Taku made a mistake many people say he shouldnt be in F1 . So many experienced drivers made mistakes in Sundays race and crashed , where as the only mistake that Sato made was picking a stupid place to obey the team orders .
In the race Sato was as quick as Fisi and was pushing him hard until he overtook him , so it proves he has the speed to merit him being in F1 .
I just dont understand why people slag him off so much in this forum saying such ridiculous things about him , I understand the truthful comments as he had made some mistakes ( ie Malaysia ), but half the negative posts about him is such hot air . I read the other day in some thread where someone saying about all the cars he wrote off this year , well i only know of 1 wrote off chassis , and that was because of Hiedfeld's mistake , not Sato's .

I just dont understand why people dont get off his back .

Last edited by Mygale; 27 May 2002 at 15:57.
Old 27 May 2002, 16:08 (Ref:297659)   #35
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato is not only driver who looked silly in Monaco. I have the list: Massa, Bernoldi and... hero of the day - Barriccelo!!!!! All of them were dangerous for other pilots. And two of them are more experienced then Sato.

Monaco is not that easy circuit to drive. And if we don't let Sato to stay in F1, then why not fire Rubinio at the same day?
Old 27 May 2002, 16:59 (Ref:297696)   #36
Full Spec Billy
Rookie

Full Spec Billy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me just thrown in my thoughts on Sato!

1) He won the F3 Championship, Ok, but in his 3rd year of doing it, and in by far the fastest car and team! But not without some fundimental errors? I seem to remember an F3 race at Silverstone in the wet, where said driver seemed incapable of driving behind the safety car without firing it off!!!! (While leading!!!)

2) Sato may be able to put in fast laps now and then, but he makes far too many silly mistakes. Being a Racing driver involves a lot more than being fast. You have to have a number of qualities, CONSISTANCY being one, and Bringing the car home to the flag being another extreemly important one. Thomas Schekter lead the Indy 500 for the most laps, but where is his name on the result sheet??? DNF!!!!!

3) Justin Wilson was a far better bet for Jordan, as far as experience, Speed, Track knowledge etc goes. But unfortionately Justin isn't Involved with Mr Honda!!!!
Justin was only out of the points when the car broke at Nurburgring in his F3000 Championship winning year, last year. In F1, points definitely mean prizes! Not to mention the fact he was on the podium 10 times out of 12. Hows that for Consistency.

4) Lets not fall into the trap of thinking that Sato SEALED the drive for any other reason than being involved with Mr Honda.

5) Appart from the damage bills, Jordan, (Whos budget is much smaller this year) cant afford to have both drivers eliminated from the race through silly mistakes on Satos side. As we saw in Malasia, and VERY VERY NEARLY in Monaco.
Well saved Fissi.

6) The quicker Eddie gives Sato boot, the better. The "he needs to get used to F1" excuse doesn't stick. He has had quite a bit of testing to do this, and F1 races are not the places to learn not to make simple mistakes like chosing the fastest, not to mention BIGGEST corner at Monaco, to let your team mate past. This was the most stupid thing I have seen in a while, considering the chicane, (which is an ideal place to let someone past) was the next corner!!!

7) Conclusion. Come on Eddie, Get Justin in the car for Silverstone, dump Sato and the Honda Engines, because they are going to go to BAR anyway, get the Cosworth Engine for 2003, as they must be pretty good, as HHF proved last weekend at MC, and you'll have a Mega Package.
Old 27 May 2002, 17:13 (Ref:297709)   #37
BeerMonster
Rookie

BeerMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree with you more FSB, I really think that Sato could do with some time getting used to an F1 car instead of risking his life and the lives of others!
Old 27 May 2002, 17:48 (Ref:297741)   #38
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the realistic drivers who could take over from Sato?
Old 27 May 2002, 17:55 (Ref:297745)   #39
Full Spec Billy
Rookie

I think I'm right in thinking that Jordan Doesn't have an official test driver? Can I say it again:- Justin is the man. Why keep on bringing back the regulars like Jos etc, when Eddie has the prime oportunity to uncover REAL tallent. Not that Justin needs uncovering, winning International F3000 should say it all!!!!
Old 27 May 2002, 18:13 (Ref:297763)   #40
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mygale

this is a joke quote i assume ? some people need to open their eyes a little bit and look at the whole picture .

now its because he is a danger to everyone .

What a stupid things people say sometimes.
OHHHHHHHHHH please do excuse my stupidity - i totally forgot that your opinion was the only valid one! my opinions are mere jokes in the shadows of someone as great and knowledgable as you!!!!!!!!!!

No i was not joking - i was thinking of the bigger picture, the man is having many a big accident and hasn't shown any sign of improvement! maybe he needs time - maybe time will never improve him, people may need to come to terms with the fact that he isn't all he is cracked to be from his past!

Don't patronize me by calling me stupid, just coz i have an opinon different to yours! coz im entitled to mine just as much as you are to yours
Old 27 May 2002, 20:25 (Ref:297883)   #41
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Full Spec Billy
As we saw in Malasia, and VERY VERY NEARLY in Monaco.
Well saved Fissi.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Sato, yes, he shunted Fisi in Malaysia but, both cars finished the race!

Australia, San Marino DNF - mechanical.

Brazil 9th of 11 finishers.

Spain, spins out - DNF drivers error he didn't write off the chassis!

Austria - one mangled chassis Sato blameless!

Monaco DNF - driver error.

Compare this to any other driver at random, ermm, let's say Rubens or Ralf!

Robert
Old 28 May 2002, 00:54 (Ref:298071)   #42
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look. Sato is here for the season. Like it or not.
Old 28 May 2002, 09:05 (Ref:298258)   #43
Full Spec Billy
Rookie

Ah, but how many other drivers have written off a Classic Lotus 49, while learning the circuit.

You will say Oil on the circuit, I will reply that Sato was stupid for driving FLAT OUT (By his own admission)!!
You should be able to learn a circuit by driving within your limits, leaving a little in hand for oil slicks.

This car, I understand was the only original 49 still around, I would give my right arm to just drive it, Sato on the other hand has had the extra experience of shunting it!!!...... NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 May 2002, 09:37 (Ref:298278)   #44
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He drove like an idiot! All he had to do was finish. Just one race. Just finish!

In the current climate at Jordan I can't see how Sato can be justified.
Old 28 May 2002, 10:22 (Ref:298302)   #45
Full Spec Billy
Rookie

I agree totally Glen. Just like Formula One as a whole needed a good clean exciting race, after the farce in Austria, Sato needed to prove to everyone that he could finish a grand prix in a strong position. I think everyone has now had enough!!!!
Old 28 May 2002, 13:59 (Ref:298463)   #46
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
He drove like an idiot! All he had to do was finish. Just one race. Just finish!

In the current climate at Jordan I can't see how Sato can be justified.
He's only had 7 races, he's failed to finish 2 of them due to driver error, that means he either finished the other 5 or he DNF'd due to something that wasn't his fault. Much the same as certain other more experienced drivers

Robert
Old 28 May 2002, 15:02 (Ref:298499)   #47
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

He's only had 7 races, he's failed to finish 2 of them due to driver error, that means he either finished the other 5 or he DNF'd due to something that wasn't his fault. Much the same as certain other more experienced drivers

Robert
but how many spins/crashes has he had in free practice/qualifying and warm up??
Old 28 May 2002, 15:32 (Ref:298524)   #48
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff

OHHHHHHHHHH please do excuse my stupidity -
ok then , I excuse your stupidity !

Im not trying to defend Sato's crash's ,but i dont think he's had half as many as some of you believe , but i still think that alot of you people are just going so overboard about it . Why dont everyone calm down a little about him , give him time and stop all this silly talk about him killing himself or some other driver .

Its all getting so far out of proportion . let me give you a 2 classic examples of people talking out of their backsides :

Ive read a post on this forum claiming that Sato's uncle is on the board of directors at Honda .
COMPLETLY NOT TRUE .

Full Spec Billy just posted this quote
" Ah, but how many other drivers have written off a Classic Lotus 49, while learning the circuit. "

HE NEVER WROTE OFF THE CHASSIS , he had a brush with the barrier and caused light damage to the car .

half of what ive read here about Sato seems to be truthful , the other half seems to be complete rubbish .
Old 28 May 2002, 16:09 (Ref:298554)   #49
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello everyone .

Just thought id say hello !

dont wanna post to much about this subject as once i start typing ...i wont be able to stop .

lol
Old 28 May 2002, 19:35 (Ref:298721)   #50
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato is bound to be a target for critics, he is quick but there's not enough learning going on when mistakes are made.
Although it appears insignificant his crash in the lotus 49 shows that he his trying to make up for his poor finishes or lack of points so far when his team mate has now taken 4.

Is he really there on merit with the team is a big question but he simply looks very vunerable within F1 in his future and possibly his own safety.

Regards

Guy