Ralf is now biatch of Montoya, ese.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:06 (Ref:666342)   #27
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I thought it was a grossly over ambitious move on juniors part Damon
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:09 (Ref:666345)   #28
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Blundell on the coverage in our country felt it needed pointing out, questioning how "classy" a move it was.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:14 (Ref:666348)   #29
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaMatta qualified 6th and finished 7th. David Hobbs of Speed tv fame was very complimentary. JB starts from the back and was being held up by DaMatta and he get a casual "good job" from Hobbs. Ahhh, he is aggavating.

I think this is the best race I have ever seen JB run. I feel his team mate "did him wrong". JV went out of his way to hold him up. That little difference could have put JB ahead of DaMatta. He was faster than him. I am happy though because both cars got home even though JV has some "issues"

RB drove a great race! If he could drive like that more often no one would ever question his abilities. Kimmi looked a little out of his depth. He was trying really hard to race RB but neither he nor the car was up to the task. JPM, drove solidly. Happy for him.

Well with 5 races to go the title chase is still on, and hot to boot. This is one of the best seasons I have ever wittnessed in F1.

Last edited by neilap; 20 Jul 2003 at 16:15.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:25 (Ref:666358)   #30
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Mark Blundell on the coverage in our country felt it needed pointing out, questioning how "classy" a move it was.
Oh, really? Case closed then.

Michael moved to defend his line, Alonso did'nt want to give it up (good on him for not being intimidated), but eventually he had to back out of it. It was just a racing thing, thats all.

MS did'nt weave, he covered his line. Should he have moved over and waved Alonso through?

BTW, does anyone know what happened to JV in the end? OUr coverage only caught him half way through a gravel trap. Great drive by Jenson, forgot about him.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:28 (Ref:666362)   #31
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
On the JV note - same, blame good old ITV for their great coverage.

On the other note, I only made the point after you made the comment about Trulli. I didn't see either move as particularly unfair myself, tough but not unfair, however you felt the need to question what Trulli did whilst ignoring just a tough tactics by Schu.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:30 (Ref:666364)   #32
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
No No Damon, I was'nt questioning Trulli, I was questioning Jacques! When the Renault went to pass him, he weaved to keep him behind (I think it was the chicane before the bridge where Rubins was putting all his moves).
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:31 (Ref:666366)   #33
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV messed up on his own. He was having issues with the car. A shame really. He also held up JB quite a bit. Oh well. I have to rewatch the race. I did not see the MS, FA incident!!

Last edited by neilap; 20 Jul 2003 at 16:32.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 17:36 (Ref:666409)   #34
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WHat?! You mean there is actually something wrong with what MS did to FA at the start of the race that saw FA touch grass?

Well, if u see no problem with JPM in Austria 2001 when he defended against Michael, or JPM with Michael at Nurburgring 2003...i guess there really is nothing wrong with Michael vs Alonso...
Old 20 Jul 2003, 17:44 (Ref:666411)   #35
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Like I say above, no there was nothing wrong, it was tough but fair.

Wrex, sorry, I obviously got a little confused back there!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 19:46 (Ref:666471)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
A great drive by Rubens, definatly driver of the day. A very good drive by JPM also, but never had the car (or the luck, with regards to the first pit stop) to win.

Last edited by Mr V; 20 Jul 2003 at 19:47.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:27 (Ref:666493)   #37
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote : "Good drive by JPM ... but never had the car"

Good one MrV...

i guess what JPM needs for victory is a car 2 second faster than the rest? For once, all 3 teams looks very promising for the win. Even Renault and Toyota had their period of glory on track! One of the most hotly contested race...and the Williams isn't a car capable to win?!

Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:34 (Ref:666503)   #38
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for Alonso vs Schumi, Blundell pointed out that he'd like to ask Brawn what he thought of Schumi's move after Brawns criticism of JPM at the Nurburgring... I think that was the issue there.

As for JV, I liked the fact he fought hard for every position, a fighter not a wimp. ITV showed a replay of his off at the end and one of the pundits said it looked like rear brake problems, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Button got past JV after he caught his teamate and Schumi while they were having their battle from what I could see!

I for one will definitely be watching the highlights again!

Oh and Autosport's front cover last week proved to be accurate, they described this as, "Formula 1's race of the year". Between this and Brasil they were certainly right!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:41 (Ref:666510)   #39
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Oh and Autosport's front cover last week proved to be accurate, they described this as, "Formula 1's race of the year". Between this and Brasil they were certainly right!
this beats Brazil by far, this was actually a race, Brazil was just a cock-up.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:666521)   #40
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All weekend, the Speed Channel commentators poo-pooed the overtaking opportunities at Silverstone. Hah!

Anyone who's watched Rubens over the years knows he's capable of really top-drawer race form... It's a shame he shows it so rarely!

Both he and JPM made their teammates look downright impetent, for this week, at least.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the Schumacher brothers looked a bit dodgy when people tried to overtake them. But I'm biased.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:01 (Ref:666529)   #41
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But at least no one in Brazil ran onto the track to tell Pizzonia that his engine was about to blow.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:11 (Ref:666538)   #42
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How about Villeneuve and Schumacher actually fighting for position
Nah JV was just blocking the track,he wasn't racing with the Ferrari,just holding it up big time,as soon as MS went past he vanished into the distance.They should have given JV the black flag.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:18 (Ref:666546)   #43
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
How the hell did Jenson get ahead of JV ??JV was considerably ahead of Jenson when he was going nose to tail with Michael.Whatever Jenson did that was superb teh way he came back from the back .
As far as I remember, Villeneuve went either into the grass or into a gravel trap at that point.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:22 (Ref:666551)   #44
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Nah JV was just blocking the track,he wasn't racing with the Ferrari,just holding it up big time,as soon as MS went past he vanished into the distance.They should have given JV the black flag.
!!!

If Michael can't get past he doesn't deserve to, why should JV be black flagged, he wasn't weaving all over the shop!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:25 (Ref:666556)   #45
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender

I'm...Not...Saying...A...Word....
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:32 (Ref:666569)   #46
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said JVil is bad with PR? He clearly sacrificed a points position to give his sponsors more air time.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:32 (Ref:666570)   #47
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I had been there now ! Rubens totally deserved that win - it was a fantastic drive by a totally fantastic bloke. He is so genuinely nice - and he knocked spots off Michael today - the best grand prix for ages - but I still bet it won't be around next year - especially after nutter's antics. Well done Rubens, and he is now not so ar off the championship leaders either!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:34 (Ref:666574)   #48
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Yeah he'd still be in with a shout if he hadn't run out of fuel in Brasil....

But as Murray Walker once said, "If is F1 backwards!"

Last edited by paulzinho; 20 Jul 2003 at 21:36.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:34 (Ref:666575)   #49
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
he wasn't weaving all over the shop!
Only on the straights and most corners .
The only other car that had more traffic behind it than JV was the safety car.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:39 (Ref:666579)   #50
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Who said JVil is bad with PR? He clearly sacrificed a points position to give his sponsors more air time.
Not..A...Word...

I'm better than that.

Very strange isn't it? JB screws up and not a bad word has been said by JV fans, JV screws up and they're all over the place...
Classy...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 20 Jul 2003 at 21:45.

Tags
jpm